Hilde Guide & Strategy Discussion

Starting off Right: A Hilde Guide

I dont' have indepth info on all characters but I can give some general things I have trouble and stuff I take advantage of against different characters.

Low-mid Tier Mid-Range/Close-Range characters:

These characters don't give too much threat like Talim, Maxi, Raphael, Tira etc. Using Hilde's normal tactic will usually be enough. These opponents are generally easy to GI especially Talim and Maxi with their fighting style.

Low-mide Tier Long Range such as Mina and Kilik, and Nightmare

All I can say is duck low and step. A lot of their most spammed moves hits high or hits pretty straight. Stepping and Duckin Low helps a lot. With Hilde's steps it's pretty easy against them. Another reason to duck low is A LOT of Kilik scrubs like to use that while getting up move when they are on the ground that sweeps low. I suggest Tech jump that with a move or just block low, or just move back when they are down.

High Tier Close/Mide Range: Cassandra, Sophitia, Ivy, Mitsurugi, Taki, Amy Etc.

These characters are really fast... If they players knows what they are doing, it's very hard to stop them since they like to abuse moves that give them Frame advantage. Taki especially can interrupt your charges with her moves even if she have slight frame disadvantage. Against Mitsurugi it is especially dangerous with his unbelivable range with a katana, high low mix ups, a faster than usual speed, and unbelievable anti-stepping moves... Faster character like the sisters well, keep distance is probably the best advice I have.

High tier long range: Astaroth and Siegfried.

These guys are really dangerous. They have range longer than Hilde's spear, and their long range moves are definitely faster than Hilde. Astaroth can easily interrupt your tempo with his uber speed knee charge thingy. Siegfried has unbelivable speed, range, and coverage thanks to his different stance changes. Against Astaroth, put the pressure on him, against Siegfried learn to duck low and look for steppable moves.

Good match ups: Mid-Close Range characters.
50-50s - high tier mid ranges like Mitsurugi.
Bad matchups - Astaroth and Seigfried, and possibly Amy depending on how well the Amy player know about Hilde's stuff.

Fair enough about the bread and butter thing, really all of her ringout combos are just variations of the C3B one for the most part. So I'll just consider all of them to be her B&B.

I've found way too many combos that ring out that aren't from C3B. That's what I was saying before. Anyways, yeah, I've practiced the combo in-game now, and the hardest part is tricking your opponents to eat the C3B...

Also, yeah, I know that C3B, 44K is really good, just saying that there's more important stuff to learn IMO.

Fei, grats on getting your guide wiki-ed!

Fledgling Hilde player here.

I've been practicing the juggle combos a lot, and I'm confident in my ability to pull them off. I'm still having trouble opening up for them, however. How exactly do you open up an enemy for those meaty juggle combos? I'm comfortable with most of her moves, and I can hold A-charges comfortably (B-charges are still a bit tricky), but how do I apply these in-game? It's obvious to anyone that any time I throw out a 2K or a 2B or a 2A that I'm about to follow with a charged WC move, and landing a C3B is proving to be incredibly difficult.

Well, for starters, 2B and 2K don't give that much (or any) advantage on NH or CH, so using them to open up FC Charge moves isn't exactly a good idea. Your best time to use FC C2B is after a CH 2A or a blocked low. What I do is spam throws whenever my opponent gives me even a smidgen of advantage, or as part of her okizeme, which encourages them to start ducking. (Against those courageous enough to just try breaking throws, just continue trying...there's no penalty for losing that 50/50 mixup.) When they DO start ducking (or jumping), that's your cue to start using FC C2B.

Once you get the hang of spacing with Hilde, fishing for C3B won't really be too difficult. You'll typically find that the threat of C3B makes people hesitant to stand in one spot against a mid-range Hilde. Also, for close-range characters, they'll desperately want to do something, such as a Wind Roll, to approach without worrying about C3B. When this starts happening, this opens up your opportunities to use her A Charges. If people are stepping like mad to avoid C3B, those will either nail them or force them to stop stepping.

stop trying to play around C3B... play normally holding your charges, release them when you think there is a chance (even though there is a high probability that they'll block) it'll land. As i play Hilde more and more, there are less and less full C3B combos that are tossed out.

For me here is a very simple breakdown.

Charges are best reserved for punishments. If you intend to charge you should be baiting to make sure it hits. Use Ks to prod them as you charge and give them the incentive to want to attack.

Go free when you rush down with 5050s since her A+B moveset is invaluable for this purpose. Single charge moves can be used in conjunction to retain frame advantage.

That's just a vague way to describe her but you have to mix and match (not only your 'modes of action' but distance as well) to keep them guessing and thats when it gets fun. It's best that you actually have a plan to let her flow nicely.

@ Jaxel : Thanks =p

@ Ignis : Thanks! Adressing your comment: Unless you play vs people who game with only one hand, one eye, and maybe 6 of his toes tied behind his back, C3B will never be enough to win by itself =p I agree to all comments concerning not crutching on C3B.

However =p It is the threat of C3B that allows so much other stuff to work. Just like Sophie 236B is the end all punisher; most players who fight vs Sophie don't get hit by it after awhile purely because of the fact that they stop using unsafe moves (people play around 236B). So 236B makes Sophie pretty high tier. I feel that C3B is the same way for Hilde. It is permanatly one of her best moves, you know it's true because of the lengths that the other players go to not get hit by it. Yet after awhile it'll connect less and less, not because it's less good, but because players play around it.

@ A_Bad_Idea : Looks to me like you should play arcade mode a bit vs computer and see how you do =p Two habbits you'll probably develop would be either 1, you spam your charges agressively, or two, you sit at distances and wiff punish with it. Both of these strats work very well for getting you use to her Charge movelist and works in most intermediate levels of play (for awhile anyways). Try that first, and see if it improves your play. Bring back questions on whatever comes up.

But spefically to answer your question try this: Land a blocked C2 or 3 A, then toss out C3B, see what it gets you. Doesn't work? Try running up and throwing them, try throwing them on wake up, make it obvious when you run at them, you're going to throw, and toss out a C3B. Try staying completely out of thier range, and back dash / 8wr and punish wiff moves from a distance.

@ KingZeal : Close to same advice as I gave =p One note: On broken throws you're at -frames I think =p There is a catch since you have to eat mixup. C3B catches windroll, you don't need C# A's for that.

@ errorrrr : I Agree =p Take the damage as you think it'll come. Ride on charges only gives other person more time to think, but if you have a C3, all the better =p

@ zer0kage : Agree also. Having a plan and flow are important!

~Fei

I totally beat someone with one hand!
...(queue masturbation joke)...

Someone called me on the phone so, you know, I used combinations of B charges, and used my elbow to hit 2 and 6. Then, I just spammed a lot of A+K, and those two directions. It was funny.

He was also bad, but that's...well...yeah, I thought it was hilarious. It was like a parlor trick. All my other friends were impressed. And then they realized the other guy was just bad.

Or, he was playing Rock. One or the other...

I'm a beginning Hilde player, and today I finally did her uber combo (the ~101 damage one starting with C3 B). I am so happy and it's thanks to this guide. Thank you

@ IgnisPhaseOne: ... (wants to make a comment, but avoids eye contact now.)

@ coroso4: Thanks for the ego boost +1! Welcome to the Hilde thread =p

~Fei

My A+B randomly whiffs when I use it for oki and it's pissing me off. First hit will hit/get blocked, then second is WOOSH.

I love it for the frame advantage, but then that happens and I eat something.

edit: anyone found any uses for FC C1B aside from ring outs? double Hilde upper

FC C1B is good as a standard mixup if you've trained your opponent to duck and you haven't quite charged up to the stronger FC moves. It doesn't really do much on its own, but it's nice in a pinch.

And yes, A+B does randomly whiff on secondary hits. I don't use it as an oki tool all that much...I instead opt for charges, 33K or 3BA.

@purifyws: I noticed that too! Instead on wakeup, I toss out 11K or random C's , B's if they're still grounded, A's if I wanted advantage. 3BA is good =p Uhmm, but you knew these, you were only asking about A+B wiffing =p Yea, yes it does =p

On the + side, Hilde players don't have it has bad as Apprentice or Tira... Have you seen that Tira 66B doesn't hit grounded at all? 1A 66B Astaroth and tell me that DIDNT hit him. Yes. It didn't.

FC C1B is hilarious, it's SAFE? We _all_ love safe MID natural comboes. Honestly, you're allowed to toss this out whenever you want =p Example, 2A(hit), SHORYUKEN! Uninteruptible on CH (actually on hit, almost nothing interupts it still)! WOO!

~Fei

New to Hilde

What are some good setups or moves for Hilde? I was thinking of playing as her when I get back to playing Soul Calibur 4.

New to Hilde

Most of Hilde's best setups come from moves that give her definite advantage. CH 2A gives 8 frames of advantage, so it's perfect for setting up for either throws or a FC charge. From mid-range, 33K is a great setup, as it gives a shakeable stun that can lead into a combo (or juggle, if they don't break it) or a mixup opportunity.

FC C2A, FC C3A, C2A and C3A are decent setups, although it really depends on both the opponent and character you're fighting. Characters with significantly fast moves that cover ground (such as Astaroth or Sophie) don't really need to fear these move much, as the advantage you get is almost trumped by their ridiculously fast tech-crouches (6K and 236B). However, as you do get advantage, you at least get to decide what your next move will be. Hilde's 6K or 2A can stop most attempts to attack out of disadvantage.

New to Hilde

Moved to the Hilde Guide thread. Please check the stickies before making new threads.

This is a really great guide Fei. Reading it restored my vigor for playing Hilde. I'll try to contribute with in the next week with Anti Character Strats.

@Valei : That's awesome!

Let's talk about some strong moves from other characters and see what viable solutions Hilde has to them.

Let me toss a few out:

Sophie: 11AA, 4B
11AA is tricky and 4B puts Hilde at force crouch where 2A from Sophie interupts most your options

Taki: Ninja Cannon, 1BA POK or POA
Asta: A+B, JF Throws

Lizardman: 66A
66A is good =p

Sieg: 3K _ KK
3 is always interuptible, but not always easy to see

Mitsu: 1A
What do you think is the best way to discourage him for using this move, we can't WS punish very well.

Apprentice: A+B (Force Pull)
His advantage, without binding buttons, players who are charging A typically have issues here

Amy: 33B, 3BA, 6BB, 66A+B
Safe everything

X: 66K

etc etc

~Fei

So, I've found as an Asta player, just duck JF throws. You can interrupt it with 2A really, and if you duck the throw whiff means you can punish with FC C3 B B A, FC C2 B 44K etc., or even just poke him in the shins with FC K. I don't know if that's the solution you're looking for, but the main problem against him for me is not the JF throws, but the range. As errorrr said earlier, he's got basically the same range as Hilde does. And his best setups will destroy Hilde at range. My counter to that? Use your best setups to counter his. If you see him doing a move that C3 B can hit, step his move, punish like the mofo that Hilde is. C2 B advances a bit, stay out of range and then slide on in, kick him in the face. FC C3 B slides quite a bit, you can probably catch him in a counter hit with that too.

Another thing that I've found works great is that Asta can be hit with C2 B B, C3 A, C2 B B, C2 A A, as a natural combo. Although some spacing things have made it weird, I've been able to do it consistently on mainly Asta, and not any other characters. Confirmation anybody?

Back