Hilde: Q&A/General Discussion Thread

Hey! I'm new to playing Hilde and have taken her up as my main (not that I was any good before LOL) since my old one doesn't appear to be in this one...

But anyways! How do I tell what charge levels there are when I'm doing them? Is it something that I just have to get the feel for? Also, I can't seem to get the unblockable charged one off no matter how long I seem to hold it. Any advice?

Any info is greatly appreciated, sorry if this is a nooby question!

Hey! I'm new to playing Hilde and have taken her up as my main (not that I was any good before LOL) since my old one doesn't appear to be in this one...

But anyways! How do I tell what charge levels there are when I'm doing them? Is it something that I just have to get the feel for? Also, I can't seem to get the unblockable charged one off no matter how long I seem to hold it. Any advice?

try to use it, u can fell it if u use it every time(for me) the first time I use it all a random charge lol may be until now. for unblockable charged need around 20 sec I think.

-------------------------------------------

I actually a bit confuse for c3b. I never got a right timing for the second b. well there is 2 hit for the first c3b, witch one that I need to press the second b ? and is there any specific timing for it ?

thank you

According to the wiki for SCIV, the charge levels are as follows. Note: This may have changed in SCV.
Level 1 - 1 second
Level 2 - 2.5 seconds
Level 3 - 3.5 seconds
Level 4 - 30 seconds

I have a question related to charging as well - is there any situation where charging to level 4 is practical and smart?30 seconds (according to the wiki for SCIV, if 20 it's still a lot...) without the use of a whole third of your movelist sounds very crippling, and you still have to then set up the unblockable itself.

Thanks you two! I did some extra digging and found that level four is 15 seconds now! So that makes it a little better than 30, but that's still 25% of the round. That's a lot of not being able to use that button.

The practicality is pretty much nil too I think. I managed to do c4a against my friend tonight, but it missed and by the time I was able to execute it, I was very low on health from just trying to pay attention to how long I was holding it down and blocking attacks.

I actually a bit confuse for c3b. I never got a right timing for the second b. well there is 2 hit for the first c3b, witch one that I need to press the second b ? and is there any specific timing for it ?

I'm still trying to get that myself, I didn't want to ignore your question by asking another one of mine, so please bear with me! :(

While playing earlier, I was trying to find quick ways to set up C1_2A_B and I think I very much like WS K!~ca1_cb1 (sorry if my notations wrong, I'm still trying to get used to it) whenever I block a low. A guide I saw read that WS K was -6 frames on block though, but on hit it was +8. Though the damage of WS K is lower than the other while standing options. Do you think that WS K is a viable option even though it's damage is less?

According to the wiki for SCIV, the charge levels are as follows. Note: This may have changed in SCV.
Level 4 - 30 seconds
Hi, never played SCIV, but I can say this has definitely changed. Playing Hilde today online, I noticed I could get her level 4 off at around the 40 second mark in fights. I haven't tested it at all, but methinks it's either 15 or 20 seconds.

All of the charge times are different, I don't have exact numbers but they are really fast.

C1 = 0-1 second?
c2 = 1.5ish
c3 = 2ish?
c4 = 20 seconds

Its just something you have to get a hang of.

c1a is a mid attack that knocks down on hit.
c2a is a mid attack that causes a spinning stun (follow up with 1kk or CE)
c3a is a two hit mid attack that is mostly used for combo enders.

c1b is a single hit mid attack that has some decent range.
c2b is a two hit mid that launches behind you on hit.
c3b is a 3 part string that is 2 mids and then an aerial finishing attack. C3ba is the correct input, the move list in game has it wrong. You can hit the a on reaction to the first 2 hits connecting.

@Aggi ws k is a really good option for Hilde. She really doesn't have that many good ways to punish attacks unless she blocks something really unsafe (-18 or below I think is enough for a charges or 66b). Keep in mind this could change at some point but I doubt it. Feel free to keep experimenting, that's what I'm doing as well.

Reactions: SI9
Thanks you two! I did some extra digging and found that level four is 15 seconds now!
That would explain why the damage is now 140, instead of 180. I still can't see the extra 11.5 seconds being worth it.

Thanks for the explanations on the charges Ceirnian! =D Especially the C3BA tip.

So I just got 5 on the day it dropped (love the special edition. especially for the music). Now, I'm taking Hilde as a main but I was reading in the wiki that she's been banned from tournaments. I've never played a 3-D fighting game so this whole style of play is frustrating for someone who has done nothing but play 2-d. If there's any help or light that can be shed, it is greatly appreciated.

So I just got 5 on the day it dropped (love the special edition. especially for the music). Now, I'm taking Hilde as a main but I was reading in the wiki that she's been banned from tournaments. I've never played a 3-D fighting game so this whole style of play is frustrating for someone who has done nothing but play 2-d. If there's any help or light that can be shed, it is greatly appreciated.

She was only banned in IV. And it's a long story. She's fair game in V.

She was only banned in IV. And it's a long story. She's fair game in V.

WOO!!!

Ok...so...what is it that's best that I need to know about her? I know and have seen she's got a great poke game and has this charge system with her A and B that's like a risk/reward style that I honestly like.

I've never played Hilde. I want to, but I'm concerned. I use a pad. To be more specific, I use a Sega Saturn controller. Right now, I can hold A, G, and B at the same time. But I cannot hold A and B and press K at the same time.

Will I still be able to play Hilde?

Wow, before consulting the internet, I experimented in training mode with a stopwatch to see how long it took to charge. You guys are right for the most part.

Level 1: ~1–1.5 seconds
Level 2: ~1.5–2 seconds
Level 3: ~2–15 seconds
Level 4: ~15 seconds

And by the way, I haven't played a Soul Calibur game since the DC days so I'm pretty much foreign with Hilde and her tricks. But when I was experimenting in training mode, I found a way to charge her moves that I think is very helpful, and am wondering if this is already known, though I think it hard to believe that it isn't already known. I'm talking about charging her moves by buffering from a guard command while side-stepping. I have a video demonstrating this, but I have to edit it. Hopefully you experienced Hilde mainers know what I'm talking about, and if you new Hilde players don't then I can upload the video. The point is, I see this skill as a great addition to Hilde's game, especially with the new quick-stepping mechanic.

I've never played Hilde. I want to, but I'm concerned. I use a pad. To be more specific, I use a Sega Saturn controller. Right now, I can hold A, G, and B at the same time. But I cannot hold A and B and press K at the same time.

Will I still be able to play Hilde?

Yeah you can, because you can use the shoulder buttons (L1/2, R1/2) as macros, i.e., pressing L2 would input A+B+K. Alternatively, instead of using your thumbs on the face buttons, use your fingers. It's a trick I learned from VesperArcade:

Yeah you can, because you can use the shoulder buttons (L1/2, R1/2) as macros, i.e., pressing L2 would input A+B+K. Alternatively, instead of using your thumbs on the face buttons, use your fingers.

Hmm, but my controller has 6 face button and 2 shoulders. The last thing I want to do is claw the controller. I was planning on learning all the female characters to play Elysium. (Learning all the male characters is too many for Kilik). But I have to have a button configuration that works for everyone.

Man, I really wanted to play a character with multiple styles.

CptPuppet, I think if you're having trouble pressing A+B+K, you might need a new controller whoever you play lol.

According to the strategy guide, each charge is one second.

1ca is one second
2ca is two seconds
3ca is three seconds
4ca is 15 seconds. Though, I'm curious if those are exact.

CptPuppet, I think if you're having trouble pressing A+B+K, you might need a new controller whoever you play lol.

That's not the problem. I have A+B+K mapped to a button that's easy to press. It's being able to hold A, B, and G separately and be able to press K that's the problem. You have to charge those moves, don't you?

I use an Arcade Stick but I have a much different and albeit corny setup, but considering my 2-D history, it seems to work well.

A B K
G G G

Granted, it's a stupid looking layout, but it's worked for me so I can keep myself in the right set for doing throws similar to the SF4 or Third Strike series. But I am trying to figure out another way to make this work better. Once I come up with something, I'll let everyone know.

Hmm, but my controller has 6 face button and 2 shoulders. The last thing I want to do is claw the controller. I was planning on learning all the female characters to play Elysium. (Learning all the male characters is too many for Kilik). But I have to have a button configuration that works for everyone.

Man, I really wanted to play a character with multiple styles.
I looked up a picture of your controller on Google, and you could do what I do on the X-box controller - use the face buttons for Guard and Kick, and the shoulders for Horizontal and Vertical. Then you have four other face buttons on yours for whatever you'd like, but that's luxury - you have an index finger on A, one on B, and K and G are your thumb. This will only cause a problem in Training mode, where hitting the shoulders together causes position reset. I haven't found a way to turn that off yet...but you shouldn't have any trouble once you get used to it aside from that hiccup.

@Jericho: If I'm not mistaken, that's the stick layout most people use, minus the two right Gs which are left unbound I think.

@Snowflake: It is actually the stick layout, but I added the extra guard to optimize the potential of throw possibilities. I had a friend who uses a fight pad suggest the idea of the arcade layout for me. using that, i've noticed it's a bit awkward (at least for me) to cross up buttons to get one thing going like a throw. I am going to try and see if mapping it as just 2 guards would work better.

Back