Hilde: Q&A/General Discussion Thread

I know she was in 4 but at that time i was using strictly siegfried...so i cant even begin to know how to use her...also would anyone like to tell me how good of a character she is NOW? I remember in 4 she was labeled as broken...is she still broke? Just help me out guys :)

I know she was in 4 but at that time i was using strictly siegfried...so i cant even begin to know how to use her...also would anyone like to tell me how good of a character she is NOW? I remember in 4 she was labeled as broken...is she still broke? Just help me out guys :)

She was my main in Sc4, shes MUCH different now and her entire moveset has changed pretty much. I'm not doing too badly in ranked matches, shes not as easy to use as most other characters due to her lack of range on horizontal attacks but she can punish players quite nicely due to the range of her charged B attacks.

Personally I don't think shes broken in SC5, her ring out game has been nerfed completely and shes lost the impact counters from her charged 2/3A attacks. Sounds like Namco actually listened!

So far i've played around 300-350 matches online and not come across another Hilde, am I the only one?

So far i've played around 300-350 matches online and not come across another Hilde, am I the only one?
You must not be on XBL, I see a Hilde in every playermatch lobby. Or I did on day one-three at least.

floatsofunky, just drop a question in the Q&A sticky if you have one. A personal suggestion of mine is that if you use a controller/pad, use the shoulder buttons for A and B. It will help you charge moves without having to play claw or getting your fingers in a twisted mess.

impact, block, hit, counter hit

A: i13
AA: i13
6A: i20
6AK: i20
6AKA: i20
6AKB: i20
3A: i28
3(A): i46
2A: i13
1A: i22
4A: i13
fc A: i12
ws A: i20
c1 A: i18
c2 A: i18
c3 A: i18

B: i23
BB: i23
6B: i21
6BB: i21
6BBB: i21
3B: i20
3BA: i20
3BB: i20
2B: i17
1B: i20
4B: i33
fc B: i16
ws B: i16
c1 B: i21
c2 B: i21
c3 B: i21

K: i13
6K: i21
3K: i15
2K: i15
1K: i16
1KK: i16
4K: i19
4KK: i19
fc K: i14
ws K: i14

A+B: i25
(A+B): i25
6A+B: i22
2A+B: i16
B+K: i21
2B+K: i26

66/33/99A: i20
22/88A: i33
22/88AA: i33
11/77A: i39
44A: i19

66/33/99B: i18
22/88B: i40
44/11/77B: i18

66/33/99K: i14
22/88K: i30
44/11/77K: i26

66A+B: i30

236236A+B+K: i16
3bA+B+K: i20
66/33/99bA+B+K: i18

9A: i28
9B: i38
9K: i19

Will complete it tomorrow

Maybe it's do to her simplification or because of the enhanced speed of SCV, but I find myself enjoying the more straight forward characters like Hilde now. However I'm having major problems getting around people who love to run around Hilde and those who love to block at all times(or feels like it at least).

With most other characters I use grabbing, lows, and unblockables to get the job done and then some against people who play it very safe, but with Hilde, she has very few decent lows that are safe, and no unblockable attacks that don't take 15 seconds to charge(and running in just for a grab feels very unHilde and usually i get deservedly punished for it).

As for the the steppers, the ones who go around Hilde until the get close enough to put on some real pressure, i haven't found a single decent punisher for it that doesn't have me directly adjacent to the opponent. It feels like she has virtually no tracking with most her pokes which is fair(and should probably apply to more character >_>) so that seems ruled out and her charged a attacks seem to be really unsafe (except c2 which is a dang whiff machine.)

I'm hoping you all can help or have any tips in getting around some of these issues I'm having while using her. It's the only reason I'm maining dPat right now instead of her. Thanks :)

I don't know the exact notations but her sidestep into AA is VERY effective. if timed correctly Hilde will sometimes duck under high attacks. If it hits the 2nd hit will turn the opponent, at which point you can:

- Rush for grab
- 3BA (for those that are wise to the grab attempts)

If it was blocked 2A is surprisingly effective at stopping a counter.

Pressing and holding AB for her stun combo setup also works well for me, just don't do it at range try to dash in to close the distance before trying it so the first hit pokes. You can then use c2a as an immediate counter if its blocked and that will keep you safe. In practice this little setup can be done over and over again to guard crush really fast just watch out for CE counters. :)

Loving this new Hilde - :sc4hil1: Not as good as SC4 Hilde but damn she can seriously punish fighters like Sieg and Nightmare.

Like Caseh suggested, [A+B] may help in both of those situations, if you aren't using it. It starts with a Horizontal, and if you charge it up it will leave you at advantage on block. If I recall correctly, 6A+B also leaves you at advantage, but I honestly haven't used the move very often in battle. I don't know how well it counters step. Something I use rather often to counter defense is 6AKA_B. The A followup is low, and the B is mid. The B also takes a while to land, so I've found some people inexperienced against Hilde will try to mash out a move ad get hit hard for it. Both followups are rather unsafe, being -15 and -16. You won't get launched for it or anything (unless someone has an i16 launcher I didn't know about?), but you may eat an AA or something similarly quick if the opponent knows this.

Oh, and don't underestimate Hilde's A unblockable. At i37, it's one of the fastest in the game and does fantastic damage.

Like Caseh suggested, [A+B] may help in both of those situations, if you aren't using it. It starts with a Horizontal, and if you charge it up it will leave you at advantage on block. If I recall correctly, 6A+B also leaves you at advantage, but I honestly haven't used the move very often in battle. I don't know how well it counters step. Something I use rather often to counter defense is 6AKA_B. The A followup is low, and the B is mid. The B also takes a while to land, so I've found some people inexperienced against Hilde will try to mash out a move ad get hit hard for it. Both followups are rather unsafe, being -15 and -16. You won't get launched for it or anything (unless someone has an i16 launcher I didn't know about?), but you may eat an AA or something similarly quick if the opponent knows this.

Oh, and don't underestimate Hilde's A unblockable. At i37, it's one of the fastest in the game and does fantastic damage.

6A+B doesn't really counter step, i find its most useful when you get into a dead lock where both players are blocking then attacking. I don't know the deal with frames etc but 9 times out of 10 I get a grab out of it regardless of if it hits or is blocked. 6AKA_B was lethal in SC4 for players who didn't know the third hit of 6AKB could easily be GI'd. Like you said some of these tactics are effective against people who are not familiar with Hilde but thats the good part. So many players online main the common choices like Sieg and Nightmare. Played over 400 fights so far and not one against a Hilde, was the same for me in SC4 so a lot of players will fall for her gimmicks.

c1a/c2a to stop step, c3a a lot if they dont know how to deal with it. all of them are safe

1b is a low that gives 1 frame on hit

a+b / [a+b] has great range and stops step into huge damage

do single 6b or b at range sometimes instead if they really are going to step all day, unless they are fast they wont be able
to punish you for it

3k at close range is great

So what can Hilde do if she messes up by getting caught in a combo that knocks her down with the opponent right next to her? It's not like she can braindead AA to get out of pressure.

So what can Hilde do if she messes up by getting caught in a combo that knocks her down with the opponent right next to her? It's not like she can braindead AA to get out of pressure.
If you're grounded and your opponent is right above you either play dead and roll to avoid getting mixed up, risk a while standing attack and hope they're doing something really slow/playing mind games, or keep it simple and stand up and guard. It doesn't matter who you're playing, those are about the only sane options.

-
Anyway, I'm looking for a solid Hilde to practice against. So if anyone here lives on the east coast, is comfortable with Hilde, and is up for some SCV online I'd love to hear from you.

c1a/c2a to stop step, c3a a lot if they dont know how to deal with it. all of them are safe

3k at close range is great

I always forget about this one up close, very fast move and effective. I usually opt for 4a in close instead.

Has anyone found a legit high-damage combo for her BE attacks? I find setting up 22_88b > CE to be a better investment as far as the super meter goes. A neat trick i'm finding is that the majority of players will block the 22_88a then immediately side-step, if you hit your CE just after they recover you will often catch then mid side-step.

If you get knocked down, deal with it. Not everyone can mix up the opponent from the ground like Leixia.
If you find yourself in an otherwise disadvantageous (but standing) position, Hildes step (her backstep in particular) is extremly good. You can also 3[A] mids, or dodge backwards with 44B or 4B. As for interrupts... her A is pretty average speedwise and has very solid range. You can use it for interrupt attempts, alternatively you can try 2A (same speed, TC) or 66K (one frame slower, pushback on block, knockdown on ch).

If you get knocked down, deal with it. Not everyone can mix up the opponent from the ground like Leixia.
If you find yourself in an otherwise disadvantageous (but standing) position, Hildes step (her backstep in particular) is extremly good. You can also 3[A] mids, or dodge backwards with 44B or 4B. As for interrupts... her A is pretty average speedwise and has very solid range. You can use it for interrupt attempts, alternatively you can try 2A (same speed, TC) or 66K (one frame slower, pushback on block, knockdown on ch).

1k is supposed to be a good interupt with a +1 if it connects. < think that terminology is correct. :o

Its a little on the slow side to be used as interrupt when youre at disadvantage. Only the 2nd hit is advantage on hit, it is unsafe, tho, and hard to hit-confirm from my experience.
I like to chip away at my opponents health with it, tho. 1A and 1B are generally better for that (also low, actual advantage on hit, more range in the case of 1B), but 1K is still fast enough to stuff interrupt attempts when youre at +frames.

22b ce is not very good imo because it barely deals more than the staple combo (or at least not enough that i want to use full meter). From what I can tell so far (may change) the best use of her meter is actually using it defensively, or off a c2a -> ce / be throw ce. Her ce is i16 which means you can actually punish certain things pretty well and guard impacts are actually good.

Being i16, how do you feel about it as an interrupt tool? I generally feel comfortable throwing it out if I see the Flames of Unblockableness on their way, but is that a bad habit?

Back