Hilde: Q&A/General Discussion Thread

Is there any way to turn off the R1 + L1 position reset in training mode? It's preventing me from doing some combos because my A and B buttons are mapped to the shoulder buttons.

You should go change your button layout permanently by clicking start on the astral home page. It's under system settings.

How do you all feel about post-patch Hilde? Personally I love her.
I'm having trouble with some c2B~B~c2A combo timings, but other than that I LOVE the fact that 66B BE is hit confirmable, and that 3B BE, and 3A go into c2B~G~c3A.
[A+B] seems like absolute garbage now since the enemy can AA out of it or side step it quite easily.
The damage increase on 2A+B is quite nice as well.

66K is still safe because it knocks the enemy back, so even though it is -11 now, the frame disadvantage isn't a big deal.

3BE doesn't work off of C2B if the previous move was 3BE air throw or B+K Air throw. You have enough time to do it, but the timing is extremely strict and you can not buffer to do it.

Well, I'm debating wether I wanna play around with Hilde or Xiba, and I dabbled with Xiba in training, but then I went to go change my controller layout since I heard it helps with Hilde's charging.

Anyway, I mapped A to RB and B to LB, but now every time I hold RB to charge and use LB to attack practice mode resets itself. Is there a way to turn that setting off, or is Bamco trolling Hilde players secretly for SCIV? :sc4hil1:

Some links are tighter now. depends on what you do before the C2B
3BE doesn't work off of C2B if the previous move was 3BE air throw or B+K Air throw. You have enough time to do it, but the timing is extremely strict and you can not buffer to do it.

That might explain why when I practise 3b BE C2B combos now, it is damn hard to get a proper juggle going. It could just be an isolated incident with me having a bad day, but it seems I'm not the only one who feels like the links are harder post-patch.

I wish we had something to slow the game down frame-by-frame so we can confirm this...

--Aside--
I noticed that after a launch caused by C2B or 3b BE, only neutral attacks (5 A/B/K) can be used immediately after turning around; if you input a neutral attack after pressing G to turn, Hilde will attack immediately, but if you input a directional attack, Hilde only attacks if the input was made after a certain "delay" period.

Evidence to support this observation is the fact that you can't move immediately after turning around, but you can [neutral] attack immediately.

I'm not sure if this was the case pre-patch, but if this was indeed introduced by the latest patch, then I suspect this to be the reason why the links are harder. In any case, I think this tid-bit is important for players to improve their timing and execution.

I know what you two mean.
I regularly play on both an arcade stick and the DualShock 3, and have come to the conclusion that handling Hilde on an arcade stick is far easier than on the DualShock 3 (and the 360 controller).
You need more than just your thumbs to play Hilde, which you two realize as well.

There are several ways to work around this:
  1. Practice in mock battles (located in creation mode). (Edit: Realised later that L1+R1 resets here as well.)
  2. Compromise with a different layout.
  3. Learn how to play with just your thumb.
  4. Hold your controller like this:

Hey guys, whats up! I plan on most likely using Hilde as one of my mains in this game, so Im most likely going to hang around here lol. I used her in 4 as well. ;)

Hello all,
I was wondering how good is Hilde at applying pressure to a blocking opponent?
Also, is she good at breaking an opponents Guard?

Thanks in advance

My first "hi" to the community!
And my first question...
I've been reading Hilde thread for long, 'cause I really enjoy playing this char. But the problem is that I'm completely new to SC and she's a bit complicated for me now.
On the same time I'm playing Pyrrha, who's much easier, but not that... not that great, not that brutal, not even half fun as Hilde.
So, the question is should I (in your opinion) stick with Hilde, or switch to Pyrrha? Or maybe it's worth training both chars?
To give you some material, I'm going to play this game for a long time, participating in tournaments etc. But this pleasure I find in playing Hilde seems too attractive for me. Pyrrha is a good char, but... she's not Hilde.
Give me your thoughts, pros and contras, whatever...
Thank you in advance.

Hello all,
I was wondering how good is Hilde at applying pressure to a blocking opponent?
Also, is she good at breaking an opponents Guard?

Thanks in advance

I'm interested in that answer as well, though in theory (and I don't have much experience) she may be poor/decent at applying pressure to a blocking opponent due to general slow speed of her attacks, or the long recovery of her attacks.

My first "hi" to the community!
And my first question...
I've been reading Hilde thread for long, 'cause I really enjoy playing this char. But the problem is that I'm completely new to SC and she's a bit complicated for me now.
On the same time I'm playing Pyrrha, who's much easier, but not that... not that great, not that brutal, not even half fun as Hilde.
So, the question is should I (in your opinion) stick with Hilde, or switch to Pyrrha? Or maybe it's worth training both chars?
To give you some material, I'm going to play this game for a long time, participating in tournaments etc. But this pleasure I find in playing Hilde seems too attractive for me. Pyrrha is a good char, but... she's not Hilde.
Give me your thoughts, pros and contras, whatever...
Thank you in advance.

To bastardize the sayings of someone: picking a main character in Soul Calibur is an affair of the brain as much as it is an affair of the heart.

You say Pyyra's easier to play as.
You say playing as Hilde is much more fun. Additionally, you didn't mention any reason as to why you shouldn't play as Hilde.

Generally, the more characters you are familiar with, the more proficient you will be at Soul Calibur because you will be familiar with a greater variety of attacks and playstyles.

The only reason is the complexity of Hilde's controls and machup problems.

Thank you for you reply, I think it'll make my day.
And the phrase is great... Think I'll steal it :)

:sc4hil1:For our Homeland!

Back