Honesty: How hard is it being a Mina player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelovedChild

[09] Warrior
Now, I'd first like to say you all get my respect because like you, I too, chose to main a......"not high" tier character to say the least, but his noble pretty boy bad ass vampire self makes up for it in spades, and to you all, something about mina just does it for you guys.

....but Raphael isn't really that good....mina.....sucks....lol....;_;....let's just be honest here.

So hard is it playing as her? What's the main complaints? What would you truly like to see in a patch(THAT WOULDN'T MAKE HER BROKEN)? Just curious, you can voice all your complaints and situations here.

It sure sucks to know beforehand that you will need a greater amount of skill and forethought to BARELY win.
But it's the same thing that makes it all the more rewarding. I mean, if a Mina owned you, either the Mina player was reeeeeeeally good, or you plain suck with passion.

I think most Mina players use her because they like her design, or because they used her in previous installments (which is my case. While I like her outfits in SCIV, I hate what they did to her face. I like to think this Mina is actually the aunt of the Seong Mi-Na of previous games)

And if I were to dream a bit, I'd like her launchers to work always and get less punishment, and her 4B+K to AutoGI easier and RO like it always did. Don't think they will give her anything to make her better, though.

It's pretty hard. Admittedly, I traded her for Sieg...

Mina has to space. All the freakin' time. It's a battle of attrition, in that you land long pokes and play keep-away until the other guy doesn't want any more.

Mina doesn't really output huge amounts of damage (why? she's packin' a freakin' guan dao, wtf...)
Combo opportunities are often limited so you end up poking all the time and that can get predictable.
her aGIs really aren't reliable either.

on the plus side, if you can get your opponent to turtle up, you can play games with their soul gauge. Otherwise, the reward you get for keeping an RTSD-esque player out really isn't proportional to the amount of mistakes you can make.

Man, her 2A got killed. Her 1K got killed, now it's from FC. It sucks. And they're right, the damage should be more.

If you like your Soul Calibur long and hard with lots of time spent on your back, Mi-na is perfect as is!

Just a couple fast/low short range options, tip range being a bit more generous, and more overall comboability are all things that could fix Mi-na. A stance that maybe gave her GI/attack/escape options would be splendid.

I expect nothing at all will be done to fix her here, but we can always hold out hope for Soul Calibur 5.

From another thread that I posted in:

Mina:
- make it so 11A and 1BA don't clip through stepping opponents
- make 3bK safe (maybe as a JF?)
- 6A+B needs a cancel
- make 44K end in FC
- give her some damn JF's: 3b:K, 8B+K :B :B (oh the hilarious possibilities...GC? frame advantage on block?), 44A:A (or even 44A[A] would be pretty awesome)

- make the second hit of 33AA just as ranged or longer than the first. It's stupid that it has shorter range, makes no sense.

I'm fine with her 1K and 2A only coming out of FC, it kind of makes FC a stance for her. I just think she could use more moves that leave her in FC or something. That...and better frames in general.

It sure sucks to know beforehand that you will need a greater amount of skill and forethought to BARELY win.
But it's the same thing that makes it all the more rewarding. I mean, if a Mina owned you, either the Mina player was reeeeeeeally good, or you plain suck with passion.

I think most Mina players use her because they like her design, or because they used her in previous installments (which is my case. While I like her outfits in SCIV, I hate what they did to her face. I like to think this Mina is actually the aunt of the Seong Mi-Na of previous games)

And if I were to dream a bit, I'd like her launchers to work always and get less punishment, and her 4B+K to AutoGI easier and RO like it always did. Don't think they will give her anything to make her better, though.

Shes good for making scrubs feel reeeaaaallly lame. I just fought InsaneKhent over PSN a couple minutes ago and omg I'm taking Seung Mi-na off my thing. I don't know how to play her.

I think it's a good thing if your bragging gives us hope on her. xD

I just started playing online this week. (And I do realize online is not the best place to test oneself.) But I'm really glad that she's the character which gives me more wins. I started using Amy to calm down when I get frustrated, but instead I get my butt handed to me more often when I use her.

Mina isn't and never has been low tier.

Don't let frame data discourage you, folks. She still can put the hurt on opponents and I'm not speaking in an ideal world.

Is true this isn't her best version. That one belongs to her SC2 incarnation.

But is a new game, new system, use all the tools.

She is Top 3 in CF abilities.

She has a i15 punisher that knocksdown in 6B+K for on blocking situations.

She has a very nice oki game with pogo hops which is the meat of her damage.

She has a very very solid FC/WR game which I should say comes the majority of her offense with mixups that leads to knockdown and oki.

Her throw game still gives good wakes like before.

She has the tools. I'll never understand the Mina frustration.

Just with the i15 punisher, her oki and CF game alone, it makes her mid tier.

It can get frustrating against some characters. Even if she has tools, a Raphael player needs little effort to beat Mina. The guy can rush you and expect little punishment, and can screw many chances of getting away because his range is quite good. And let's not get started on Sophitia. >.<

I hope I get the chance to fight online more often, so I can learn more of her matchups like you said, InsaneKhent. There are some characters I never face.

I think most Mina players use her because they like her design

This definitely. She looked best in SC3, but she's still nice in IV.

I don't really give a crap about tiers. I only pick the characters that are the most interesting to look at, or entertaining to use. I mean, what's fun about playing as a character who's ugly as hell (Voldo) or generic/annoying (Taki, Cassandra, etc.)?

Besides, she's pretty quick and has good range, so she's still decent (Especially in online matches with lag).

aww why no love for mi-na, shes a very strong char in my opinion (i dont play offline btw) you just gotta play her with a different attitude than the rest. i used to main her but got sick of her non-flashiness . but if i cant beat someone online ill go get mina and she gets the job done - "I'm out of your league!"

I don't really give a crap about tiers. I only pick the characters that are the most interesting to look at, or entertaining to use. I mean, what's fun about playing as a character who's ugly as hell (Voldo) or generic/annoying (Taki, Cassandra, etc.)?

I agree. Though the first time I read about tiers I got sad. I thought it was some divine law from Namco. (I'm kinda new to gaming forums.)

And Taki needs a bra to cover her generic udder.

(Khent posting)

Oh that's bullshit, Papy. I just haven't figured out how to deal with him yet. I will grant though that he is better for mashing online scrubs.

Yoda's lightsaber head bash grab > Mina's B throw

I get very hard every time I use Mi-na. That doesn't happen when I use Kilik (Unless it's my CAS).

...... Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back