How did you became a Soul Calibur fan?

As someone else mentioned the Gamecube demo disc got me interested in the series. Also the local arcade I used to visit had the JPN version so I had a good idea what to expect once the game came out on consoles. I wasn’t big into fighting games at the time so I mainly played the single player modes because the story was the main draw for me. However once I completed most of the SP modes I felt the need to play the game “seriously” and battle real people rather than the CPU.

I remember searching for tips on GameFAQs/Guardimpact boards and reading guides by users like Zigmover21 and TheWu (Kuri-Nyawu). With the knowledge I gained I started to visit the arcade every Friday after school to play SC2. Keep in mind where I’m from the arcade scene was not very competitive and most are under 18 so the level of skill was not that high. By the end of 2003 going into 2004 I slowly stopped playing SC2 since most of my friends at the arcade moved on to other games. I played a bit of Soulcalibur 3 (didn’t own a PS2) but the SC series and gaming in general was completely out of my mind after that. I would mention what kindled my interest years later but I’ll save that for another time.

Ps: The first Soul game I played was actually Soul Blade (PS), I didn’t know that till I visited my parents’ house 2 years ago and looked through some old photos and saw a picture of me playing my older cousin in 1998. I knew it was Soul Blade since Rock was on the character select screen.
IMG_5292.JPG

My grandma bought me a PS1 and a bunch of random PS1 games, which included the original Soul Blade. After I'd had my run with Soul Blade (and being obsessed with Sophitia, Taki, and Seong Mi-na), I was enamored with the game and tried to find out more about them, leading to me getting a PS2 and buying both SCII and SCIII. SCII was where I found out about Talim and Yun-seong, who would become my forever favorites alongside Mi-na and Sophitia, while SCIII's character creation blew my little elementary school mind. SCIV was announced sometime later and was the catalyst in me buying a PS3, as well as joining one of my first big Soul Calibur communities, the now defunct Soul Calibur Universe forums. I was actually also part of the migration wave that arrived here at 8WR when the forums shut down before the release of SCV. SCV was when I started to become a bigger part of 8WR but obviously there was that period of time where we all drifted off from here because we were uncertain if a sequel was in the works...at least until two years ago.

As someone else mentioned the Gamecube demo disc got me interested in the series. Also the local arcade I used to visit had the JPN version so I had a good idea what to expect once the game came out on consoles. I wasn’t big into fighting games at the time so I mainly played the single player modes because the story was the main draw for me. However once I completed most of the SP modes I felt the need to play the game “seriously” and battle real people rather than the CPU.

I remember searching for tips on GameFAQs/Guardimpact boards and reading guides by users like Zigmover21 and TheWu (Kuri-Nyawu). With the knowledge I gained I started to visit the arcade every Friday after school to play SC2. Keep in mind where I’m from the arcade scene was not very competitive and most are under 18 so the level of skill was not that high. By the end of 2003 going into 2004 I slowly stopped playing SC2 since most of my friends at the arcade moved on to other games. I played a bit of Soulcalibur 3 (didn’t own a PS2) but the SC series and gaming in general was completely out of my mind after that. I would mention what kindled my interest years later but I’ll save that for another time.

Ps: The first Soul game I played was actually Soul Blade (PS), I didn’t know that till I visited my parents’ house 2 years ago and looked through some old photos and saw a picture of me playing my older cousin in 1998. I knew it was Soul Blade since Rock was on the character select screen.
Well, you're correct that it's the the select screen for Soul Blade, the PS1 port of Soul Edge, in that photo, but just as an aside, Rock is on the select screen for SCI as well--the big guy was in every game (as himself or 'Beserker') until SCV.

Bought a Dreamcast back in the day & SoulCalibur soon after, Nightmare's brutal moveset was thrilling with outstanding motion capture and intuitive moves, I was hooked forever to the masterpiece that Namco crafted in SC1.

I still have that Dreamcast & GD-ROM in working condition.

For me, I think it was Christmas 2003. My folks bought me a gamecube, with Windwaker, Soul Calibur 2, and that random Starfox game, but I wasn't too keen on that last one, lol. I was 12, so I was young enough that Link's presence in Soul Calibur 2 bridged the gap between my interest in Zelda and Soul Calibur. Once I got over the excitement of Link being in SC2, I got hooked on Nightmare next, because he was a badass knight and had a gnarly fucking one-eyed sword with him, and that was just too cool for my 12-year old self. :) The rest is history!

My love for Soul Calibur series started not too long ago back in April 2018, and the thing is I was 56 years old at the time. It was mainly the Character Creation thing since SC3 that did it. And so, I picked up SC2 first, then SC3 a month after that time, then bought a PS3 over the summer last year just for SC4 and SC5 (as well as Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection and Tekken 6).

Besides, I wanted to break out of the Super Smash Bros. and Tekken monotony and try a new series of fighting games. And Soul Calibur's character creation far outranks Tekken's customization and Mii Fighter creation in SSB4 and Ultimate anyway (still praying for Tiger Lily Gauntlets to be a CaS part for SC6's season pass #2 btw). Sa, ever since Cassandra was released on Soul Calibur 6 earlier this month, it is my goal to make SC6 the next game I buy. I promised myself to stay off of 8-Way Run and avoid seeing any match-up videos until I start playing for the first time. Not only that, I will hold off on buying it and the season passes until I know the contents of the second season pass.

Sayonara :sc3set1:

I have been a fan of Soul Calibur since 1996 or 97 when it was on PS1 as Soul Blade. well i rented it and i loved it. i remember saw the beautiful opening screen like one where Taki removed her mask. she look HOT!

i continue playing the franchise thanks to SC2 and SC3. speaking of SC3, my beautiful empress Tira make me bought this awesome game but it has the special mode we know and love- Character Creation!! another reason is- Yoshimitsu due to the same name as the character from Tekken franchise

funny Hawk Talon armband (one with the hooks) that Mooncalf wore don't appear in SC4/BD and SC5! maybe i can recreate this armband unless it's hard to do that.

1. it all started when i was about 12, i was out with my dad and younger brothers and spotted SC2 at the local Game Crazy (long gone now). i loved tekken so upon seeing heihachi on the cover, out of curiousity we bought it and i was immediately hooked, i’ve been in love with the series ever since ♥️

2. titties

When I was in about 4th grade, my uncle (who died in 2008) had an Xbox and one of the games he had was Soul Calibur 2. I was immediately hooked but sadly he wound up selling his Xbox and all his games shortly thereafter :( I eventually got a PS2 but Soul Calibur 2 always fucking eluded my grasp XD Seriously it wasn't until I was a freshman or sophomore in high school that I finally got my hands on a copy of that damn game! In between that time, my dad (who's also deceased) got me a copy of Soul Calibur 3 for my birthday and I played that thing for HOURS! But I put the game down for years due to running into the infamous save data glitch not once but TWICE! I badly wanted SC4 but couldn't get it during its heyday due to me not having a PS3 at the time (it was too fucking expensive). I didn't get a copy of that game until 2017 -_- Skipped SC5 for obvious reasons and I pre-ordered SC6 as well as purchased the Season Pass for it which is incredibly rare for me.

TL;DR: Been a fan since I was 8 thanks to a late uncle that I miss dearly :( My mains ever since SC2 are :sc2cas1::sc2sop3:

Last edited:
When I was in about 4th grade, my uncle (who died in 2008) had an Xbox and one of the games he had was Soul Calibur 2. I was immediately hooked but sadly he wound up selling his Xbox and all his games shortly thereafter :( I eventually got a PS2 but Soul Calibur 2 always fucking eluded my grasp XD Seriously it wasn't until I was a freshman or sophomore in high school that I finally got my hands on a copy of that damn game! In between that time, my dad (who's also deceased) got me a copy of Soul Calibur 3 for my birthday and I played that thing for HOURS! But I put the game down for years due to running into the infamous save data glitch not once but TWICE! I badly wanted SC4 but couldn't get it during its heyday due to me not having a PS3 at the time (it was too fucking expensive). I didn't get a copy of that game until 2017 -_- Skipped SC5 for obvious reasons and I pre-ordered SC6 as well as purchased the Season Pass for it which is incredibly rare for me.

TL;DR: Been a fan since I was 8 thanks to a late uncle that I miss dearly :( My mains ever since SC2 are :sc2cas1::sc2sop3:
Very interesting tale. My condolences on your uncle.

Nice to see a lot of old-school stories.

I was always interested in SE, seeing it in magazines. I didn't actually play a Soul game til SC for Dreamcast. And I was hooked. The character variety in visuals and play style was great. The story was interesting (hey, I was just 13 or 14!). And of course, the 3D play and block button were like...the perfect blend of my 2 other favorite FG franchises (Tekken and MK).

Stumbled across Soul Edge at my cousin's house on PSone when I was 8. It grew on me more than Tekken because it was Tekken with swords.

Years later I was a preteen learning about hormones(Was into Taki at the time) and heard about SC2. Figuring out it was that cool Tekken sword game, I researched. Link drew me in, but it was Yoshimitsu who made me stay. Yoshi in Tekken 1 seemed odd and meh, but the minute I heard him say "Well done!" it was when I found my childhood hero Yoshimitsu for both Tekken and Soul Calibur.

Yada yada SC3 comes out, played more Yoshimitsu, Nightmare, and Seong Mi-na(her 2p made her my favorite SC gal forever).

Yada yada SC4 comes out, I played more Yoshimitsu and Seong Mi-na. Didn't care for Star Wars because....Yoshimitsu. More. Competitively.

Yada yada SC5 comes out and you guessed it, played more Yoshimitsu competitively....with Mitsu and Leixia on the side.

Yada yada SC6 comes out, and yet here I am still playing Yoshimitsu. Also reunited with Seong Mi-na my favorite SC gal.

Yada yada. Pocky Yoshi is short for Pocky Yoshimitsu. Love for Pocky(not anymore thanks to Trail mix and Welch's fruit snacks) and Yoshimitsu.

I played Soul Edge and SoulCalibur in the arcade (when I was able to find one), played SoulCalibur II at a friend's house, owned Soul "Blade" trading cards, and eventually bought a used, slim PS2 when SoulCalibur III came out (after seeing an add in Shonen Jump mentioning the new character creation ability).

I first played Soul Edge back in 1998 in a local arcade near home, I was 15 years old and that was the best fighting game I'd ever seen by faaaaar. Then I bought a sega Dreamcast in 1999 and saw Soul Calibur was already in stores, so I went ahead and bought the game the very same day I got the console. Long story short, I never stopped playing, and it's THE ONLY game installed in my consoles AT ALL TIMES. The rest come and go, but SC is always there no matter what. It's been over 20 years and several other fighting games, but none like SC series in my opinion.

My grocery store had a demo unit that played SC2. It looked like a spooky Mortal Kombat kind of game but it was fun using Cassandra. Either raphael or nightmare were the other playable characters. What sealed the deal was that I went to another persons house and link was in the game. I then noticed Yoshimitsu from tekken and knew I had to buy it.

Heihachi was an added bonus

I literally played ALL of Soul Blade on PS one, every character's story mode, unlocked ALL the weapons, played ALL the mini challenges, which still evoke very fond memories of many hours of trial-and-error (after all, I didn't even speak English well enough back then). Sometimes, I would start my PS one just for the intro, that's how obsessed I was with it. Loved Taki the most.

Later on, a friend bought a Dreamcast and it took me a while to realize that SoulCalibur had mainly the same characters as Soul Blade lol. We played the hell out of it and Xianghua literally inspired me to take up the Chinese straight sword (jian) into my kung fu training, which by itself had largely been fueled by fighting games like Tekken and Virtua Fighter.

I kinda skipped the wonderful SC2, but would return to it later, when the HD re-release surfaced.

I rented, then bought SC3 after a longer hiatus from the series and fell in love once again. Mostly played Xianghua, Setsuka and Yoshimitsu back then and also had a blast with most of the bonus CAS styles.

I then got a PS3 just for SC4, basically, spending maaaaany hours online, mostly maining Xianghua, Taki and of course Setsuka.

SC5 was a huge disappoinment to me, as it was for many. After over a year of excitement and thrill in following the development, announcements and release, I dropped the game after just two weeks. Luckily, SC6 got back on track and won back my heart lol. I definitely wish for the mini challenges to come back as they really added depth and replay value to the single player experience in the earlier games.

Here my story about Soul Calibur: I remember I was 9 years old in the year 2000 me and my childhood friend Nick were playing many fighting games, Tekken 3, Bloody Roar, Dead Or Alive etc he said to me that he also has a game like Tekken but you use swords and weapons. We played Soul Blade in psone and SoulCalibur in dreamcast! I was so fashinated with the graphics the characters the epic music, everything! One year later I bought psone and SoulBlade along with Tekken 3. I was so thrilled my main characters was Mitsurugi and Siegfried! Two years later I bought PS2 during the Christmas holiday of 2003 with Soul Calibur 2, I realised the evolution of the game, I was so happy when I was unlocking every character (I didn't expect Sophitia and Cervantes in SC2, Lol) but I was a little bit sad about Hwang's absence! Two years later in November of 2005 Soul Calibur III was in my hands, Setsuka was my main, I loved everything in this new character and of course this game had every fan favorite characters, Hwang, Li-Long etc! (SC3 is the best SC game for me along with SC4 and SC6). In the end of summer of 2008 Soul Calibur IV came and I was so hyped with this game, with everything the graphics amazed me, Setsuka was there again and my main characters were Setsuka, Mitsurugi, Siegfried and Ivy! The gameplay was a little bit slow, but I was ok! Many years later in February of 2012 Soul Calibur V was a fact, Setsuka wasn't there but her style had given to the worst character ever A.Patroklos! I liked a lot SCV but for me it was so incomplete. For many fans SCV is the black sheep in SoulCalibur history! The years 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 nothing about for a new SC game I was so sad, but in December of 2017 Soul Calibur VI was finally announced! I was so happy, the first trailer made me so hyped and every month of 2018 I was waiting for the next character reveal and more info for the game. 19th October 2018 SC6 was finally in my hands and until today I play every day! SoulCalibur returned to its roots, it took back the lost legacy and many fan favorite character is in the game except of my lady Setsuka, Hwang, Yun, Rock etc! I hope for the best for this game in the future and I hope Setsuka will be in the Season 2 as DLC playable character!

Last edited:
Back