How do I deal with turtles/zoning?

REPROBEAN_CHILD

[14] Master
I've been running into players who seem to love backing away to the other side of a stage. They seem to be using it as a method to get me to whiff, which is dangerous against characters like Nightmare, Astaroth, and Aeon. Is there a good way to quickly close space against players who do this? I use characters Raph, Mitsu, Ivy, Pat, Leixia, and Pyrrha. Any advice on what to do?

Play patiently and slowly make your way in or you could just run at them and block. It's all about keeping a calm head and not tossing out moves because of frustrations.

If my opponent likes to back away like what you have described, I just taunt. I taunt over and over and that usually does the trick but there are times where they don't budge. If they do, I just run at them but stop about halfway to see if they will throw a attack out then punish them.

Honestly I never fight players like this so my advice might be very limited.

IT'S CRITICAL TO DO THIS OFFLINE SO THEY ARE SURE TO HEAR YOU CALLING THEM A PUSSY. "WHAT ARE YOU, A FAG?" WORKS EXTREMELY WELL. HOWEVER, THIS WORKS BEST IN COMBINATION WITH RUNNING STRAIGHT AT THEM AND THEN DOING AN AUTO-GI FOR MAXIMUM PSYCHOLOGICAL IMPACT.

The best way to deal with spacing is to avoid whiffing. Practice patience, and learn to safely close the gap between you and your opponent. Sometimes, running in and guarding (positioning) is the best choice.

To deal with heavy turtles- implement gauge pressure and grapples. Depending on your character, a fast low enables the same type of "mix up" grapples do.

Guarding after running in carefully and grabbing. Also depends on the character. I have a TON of trouble getting close to people with Zwei but none at all with Cerv.

I'm with Fenris. Stab a bitch, run, and eventually they'll have to fight back or they'll lose anyway. Make the turtle crawl to you.

What I do is get the health lead at the start and back the fuck up and let them come to me. All you need is 1 more health than them to win the round.
That's precisely what I do. I like people who want to "FIGHT," not people who want to lollygag. It pisses me off, so I just return the favor when I have more health by turtling like they did. But depending on what character you have, turtling can sometimes be punished. Ezio's crossbow is great for it and Algol's move that catches backsteppers is even better.

Back