How do you play as Maxi?

ELC1837

[08] Mercenary
I have recently decided to become competitive in fighting games, and have decided on Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur to specialize in since those have the strongest support in my local area.

However, while Scorpion in MK9 felt all too natural for me, I'm having trouble picking Maxi up. I mean it's not like SC2 where I could just add the +range;+damage weapon and just mash out a close fight.

So, what valid strategies are there for Maxi? Looking for anything from high-low-throw mix-ups to pure-soul loop mindgames to punishes.

You should go ask HRD. Click here and leave a message on his profile. If you have XBL I am sure he can help you.

PSN? I think Warui will be happy to help you. Leave a message here on his profile - he has PSN.

I like RO pressure but you have to be good at out guessing your opponent
RO has high risk high reward options

3B and FC 3AAA are geat starters to get into RO

once im in RO my whole gameplan is to get them to block RO A
RO A if blocked gives mix ups with BL KK/PSL 3 LO BK/PSL 1 RC A or can be used to pressure with RO Ag

RO B if they like using fast TC's to beat RO A, If it gets blocked you can try PSL 4/5 or WL but against anyone who knows maxi you will get hurt. depending on how well they read you it can be launcher punishable or just a 2K toe tap

RO K for 2As/throwing off GI timing/being random

I also like 33B force blocks on oki
post BL KK 33B beats all but left roll on most characters and I use other options to keep them from rolling left

of course WL shouldn't be overlooked it keeps people from getting greedy with a ton of damage....but yeah gimmick 3K>>>>>>>WL gimmicks

theres also 4B gimicks like 4B PSL 1 LI B stuff and 33K poking along with 66B+K CF game but mostly those aren't aggressive enough for my tastes

Everyone says I play maxi wrong but its pretty important to do what works for you

oh krayzieCD and gakel86(MTfighter) have better maxis then me and both play PSN

Maxi can be played several different ways. I wouldnt say you play him wrong bubbles. You play a lot like I do with just a few suttle differences.

@ELC, if youre new to maxi then what warui said is like lesson 5. All be it very very good information, you have to walk before you can run.

so maxi has a few what we call starter moves. These moves go into stance and are used to pressure ur opponent. Those are
6A
4B
3B
and what I like using A+Bg

then you have good pokes
1B
3Ag
2A
2KK

Most new maxi players will find a move that they can get into stance looping with and just hit buttons. Dont be afraid to use his pokes, they are very good at stopping your enemy.

Maxi has 6 stances. they are:
Right Cross
Behind Lower
Left Outer
Right Outer
Wavering Light
Left Inner
all these moves have at least 3 options once you get there. They all have different properties depending on what you want to use.

He also has 5 Guard Breaks, they are:
LO K
4A+B
LI B
LI aaB
RO A[K]
RC B

these are good for using as mix ups in mid string to confuse your opponent to hopefully make them guess wrong. For example

4Bg goes into LI. LI B is a good guard break. has a huge tech crouch in it and is one of my favorite moves. I like to train my opponent to see it coming and block it. HOWEVER. LI B is a cancelable move, you can cancel it back into LI or into RO. I like to cancel into RO and throw out RO A[K] to keep pressure on and work that soul gauge a little

There are literally thousands of different combo strings. Most of which we have narrowed down the good ones.

I play maxi in a fashion that I like to call "Confuse and Fuck up". I will throw out so many mix ups that I will get you to start blocking then I will throw in curve balls to get you think Im doing the same shit, but in turn i will fuck you up, get my counter hit and take a good chunk of your life.

But maxi can be play a number of different ways. The best way to think is like this:

Keep loops small. Limit them to no more than 3 moves. Pokes, use lots of pokes to train your opponent then use your starter moves to liven things up a bit. Keep things small and simple. Dont try to be this dancing around, endless loop type of player. The good maxis are good about keep maxi's strings to small simple things

Maxi is a bad character. He has bad frame data and is hella unsafe. You need to keep this in mind when you play him. He is not tourney worthy nor has he won any major tournies that I can think of. But Ive been playing him since SCI and I havent change since.

Have fun. Any questions lemme know

HRD

Maxi is a bad character. He has bad frame data and is hella unsafe. You need to keep this in mind when you play him. He is not tourney worthy nor has he won any major tournies that I can think of. But Ive been playing him since SCI and I havent change since.

Have fun. Any questions lemme know

HRD

In short: Prepare to take a LOT! of beatdowns... ^^

Hehehe: sounds a lot like Scorpion in MK: heavily reliant on high-risk mix-ups for damage. I already take quite a few beatings as him, so it shouldn't be much different other than being in a whole new system.

Anyhow, thanks for all the tips ^_^

or you can be better then anyone you play with and beat them even with your terrible character...ya know like people used to do when they played a bad character instead of complaining

Better said than done imo. Like HRD said, this Maxi is just not tourney worthy. It doesn´t matter how good you, HRD or myself are in this game. SCIV History proves that.

But hey, new Maxi fellowers are still always a plus.

Hehehe I have a knack for characters easy at low-level play but difficult at high-level play (Order Sol, Scorpion, Maxi), so I don't mind a few losses here and there ^_^.

Quick questions: what are the pros and cons of each stance? Like is RO for safe mix-ups, WL for pokes, etc.?

pros and cons
RC is the shizzle, best stance imo (RC KK is unsafe though but not too bad), has most options, all other attacks safe. RC B GB strong. All attacks have decent range
LI B and K are some of his best attacks, strong and safe good tracking. LI A is fastest attack, but risky
BL sucks, BL B is sneaky though, fast TC low
RO is ok, because of RO A's speed and frames bug high though. Overall OK, but most attacks from it slow the second fastest RO B, is unsafe
LO is a powerful stance, high risk with BK and K, but LI A is safe and evades
WL is strictly for counters. If GI, do BBBA combo

I watched vid 1 and 3. Vid 1 is a very very risky Maxi, and he played against a Zas who doesn't know Maxi as well.

vs Asta
You made me cry when u wasted the wall splat at 1:02, not sure why u stood there guarding :'(
AA blocked to RC anything is ew. Not sure what the Asta was doing
Asta kept falling for generic SC1 old BL KK mixups
Asta didn't know how to play vs Maxi at all, regrettably

vs Taki
Missing the 3B CH RO B combo
RO KK -> 4BK is not a combo eew
LI B blocked -> BL A actually worked....not sure what Taki was doing
Couldn't block RC KK
Taki didn't know hot to play vs Maxi at all, regrettably

vs Mitsu
Weird Mitsu, not doing much of anything. Doing FC 1BB....on block.
You missed the wall splat combo after BL KK...again
Opp doesn't duck 66A
Doesn't punish blocked BL A
Everyone is falling for RO A BL KK :/
Didn't AC 4B LO K air combo

So basically, opponents have no idea what to do against Maxi at all. Seems like some fun casuals though :)

Back