How do YOU practice?

Hey man, could you expand on this thought? What's good movement and what's stepping like an idiot? Haha.
Sure no problem, Drake Alan explains alot better than me, Perfect stepping would be when you step in advantage; advantage means when you're in neutral but opponent isnt due frame data. E.G you land a move and you are in 'advantage, so you step to the right, left, or back in anticipation of your opponent trying to hit afterwards, but because you moved before they could act, which will likely cause a whiff, which in most cases gurantees heavy damage.

Dumb stepping is when you try step in disadvantage, and will usually lead to opponent getting counter hits and you losing alot of health.

Sorry if this doesnt come across like I intend.
A good chars to learn how to step and space against are Ivy, Viola and Nightmare

Sorry if this doesnt come across like I intend.

No dude, that's really good. And simply put too.

The thing is, some of the explanations of advantage/disadvantage I've seen have explained that being at negative frames means you have to do something defensive, and then go on to list stepping as a viable alternative if you think your opponent is going to go for a vertical.

Which I guess makes sense but if you're at like -10, it occurs to me lately that there's a damn good chance you won't even have time to step before you're hit for run CH.

Stepping from advantage makes a lot of sense and I hadn't really thought about it. Haha. Thanks man, that's really helpful!

So when you do a step you're looking to create a whiff that you can punish with your big guns? The thing I'm wondering is, if your step doesn't pay off and your opponent simply guards because he's at disadvantage, aren't you just giving away your advantage? Or do you go straight into an 8WR attack even before you know if he's gonna attack or block?

It depends on the char and who you are versing.
Stepping is used for creating whiffs, avoiding guard damage, and setting up walls etc. You really have to use your own judgement, if your advantage is enough to allow further pressure and damage go for it, if not it might be easier to step, and hope for a whiff, or you could just throw them for 50/50dmg

The thing is, some of the explanations of advantage/disadvantage I've seen have explained that being at negative frames means you have to do something defensive, and then go on to list stepping as a viable alternative if you think your opponent is going to go for a vertical.

Which I guess makes sense but if you're at like -10, it occurs to me lately that there's a damn good chance you won't even have time to step before you're hit for run CH.

Stepping from advantage makes a lot of sense and I hadn't really thought about it. Haha. Thanks man, that's really helpful!

The thing about stepping at advantage is that a lot of the time when people are at disadvantage, they will just hold guard. Now if you step, you are just giving your advantage away when you could've potentially mixed them up. If you anticipate your opponent going for a linear attack at disadvantage or you are trying to change your rhythm in the fight, then stepping at advantage is a good option.

The most bang for your buck would be to train smart and not hard, first of all you never have the same mindset against an AI like you have towards a human, meaning you don't practice strategy where a computer wont react like a human, so you can get the most out of training mode by thinking mainly about spacing and making sure you got the range down with the moves you like to use, and the more time you spend doing this the more moves you'll get use to and the ranges, and the more the barrier between you and your character breaks down, it's like you become one with your character, you are your character, and it's not a matter of thinking anymore, it's a matter of doing. Once you learn an attack it will be just an attack, and once you start using an attack, it will no longer be an attack, and then once you've mastered every aspect of the attack, it will just be an attack.

You can train several different ways, and hit confirming can be trained by setting the computer on normal or even easy and not think about beating it, but rather by focusing on confirming hits and practicing combos, spacing, zoning, mix ups, and the more you do this the more natural it will become, which I'd like to add that the highest level of skill operates on an unconscious level.

Also you can train against your own character on normal, mainly so that you can become more familiar with the move-set since you will be watching your own characters moves performed. It is important to remember that it is only an AI and not a human, so you can have at it with the same move and combos and what not to really get that muscle memory down, especially the ranges. So, basically just take it easy in training and just have fun learning however you'd like.

As for the harder difficulty settings, you can use that for reaction practice, especially for grabs, which are very important in breaking tough defenses down, and opening up more opportunities for when in actual combat, and grabs also keep your mix up game going, so keep mixing up between things like, grabs and verticals, and lows and mids. But, that really depends on the character too, like Mitsu, he really depends on the threat of that low brave edge attack, so verticals can be used much more freely, which will open up the low brave edge attack more often. And, another example would be, Maxi, he depends on momentum to keep his offense going, his offense is his defense, and he doesn't have good lows so he will rely more so on grabs to mix things up and keep his offense going. So, really you have to know your characters strengths and weaknesses, and your opponents also.

Playing to your character's strength might not always be a good idea, you might have someone who's better at zoning than your zoning character, so you will have to make them whiff then punish playing more to their weakness which is also your weakness, and same with a rushdown character against a zoner, and same thing vice versa, you will have to zone a rusher and make sure you don't whiff. There are always ways to even the odds more in your favor, and there is always a counter for everything.

I spend no time in practice mode or looking at frame data. I just play matches against other people and learn hands on. I'm pretty good at the game too, so whatever I'm doing works for me lol

Back