How should the next SC handle downloadable content?

With talk about practices out of the way, here's what I'd like in terms of actual content:

- New costume pieces, obviously. With CAS, we can always use more pieces to further customize our characters until our hearts content. They can't BS their way through by charging for reskins or giving one character another character's costume, like DOA5 can, fortunately.

- Collaboration costume pieces. As SomeRandomHuman said, I would like them to have DLC of costumes from other IPs added to Soulcalibur for even more customization. There are all sorts of possibilities when it comes to this, like DBZ, Naruto, Bleach, Sengoku Basara, Onimusha, and maybe also western works like Assassin's Creed and The Witcher. Just try to make it make a little sense. Please don't go overboard by having, for example, Gundam pieces.

- Costumes from previous games. Seems simple enough, add costumes from past games as CAS parts. They could do 1P and 2P, I think that would be interesting. As much as I like Taki's spandex for example, I also like her alts and I want to play around with those.

- Costumes from unusued concepts. This one is a bit more hopeful, but it's something I would like to see. I've seen some badass concept art pieces that never saw the light of day. Maybe they could bring these back in the form of DLC, so the hard work doesn't go to waste?

- Try not to go overboard on fanservice DLC. Having it is fine, but it's going to be a problem when that's 99% of the DLC. I know it's been said before, this isn't DOA. That doesn't mean SC can't have fanservice, it just means that it doesn't specifically hinge on its inclusion at its own detriment.

- DLC characters. This one has a lot of potential. The most obvious use is that they could add characters that somehow didn't make the cut back into the game, allowing for people to get their old mains back. The second use is to add new guest characters for more profit (I suspect they're going to do this). Finally, the most interesting option is to add brand new characters to the game. I would prefer this the most over the other two, so long as they're good and don't feel out-of-place.

- DLC stages. They could add new arenas for the players to fight in. However, this might not happen too often as these would have to be free, lest the community be segregated. I expect there to be new stages if they do updated rereleases, however.

- DLC story pieces. Alright, this one is definitely on the hopeful end. Assuming the story will be told in a coherent way, as is the trend for fighting games nowadays (thankfully), they could add more story as time goes on to keep things fresh. It would also give the DLC characters some purpose. Granted, I kind of doubt they'll do this because that takes extra money and time, but it's something worth considering.

Let's just hope they don't do ALL of that, becuase that would end up in a DLC dependent bullshit beggary of a game.

What kinds of limitations?
I remember hearing about adding new things in DLC wasn't as easy as it used to be. It's why DLC characters rarely showed up, because the means to add them weren't there. For example, SCV didn't have DLC characters other than Dampierre, who was already on the disc as a pre-order bonus. A non-fighting game example would be Halo on Xbox 360, which didn't receive new weapons and armor (that wasn't already on the disc) because the engine wouldn't allow for it.

If we have DLC stages then they should be free like they are in DOA5 apart from the Attack On Titan stage because they licensed it.

I'd love older costumes but that's already been mentioned before. Can't think of anything else to add.

Well we should really consider there being some free DLCs. Some seasonal time limited DLCs for free would be a nice idea I think. Stages too.

And they better find a way to keep it on. The DLC for SC4 on the 360 isn't on the marketplace anymore.
Well, my first reaction to reading this was..."What, Really?", so yeah, its gone, along with the digital 360 version. The DLC is also no longer listed on PS Store as well (this includes all regional storefronts - US/PAL/JP), so...yeah, I know its been nearly 9-10 years since release, but there goes Vader/Yoda and the DLC outfit parts, as its lost forever.

Well, my first reaction to reading this was..."What, Really?", so yeah, its gone, along with the digital 360 version. The DLC is also no longer listed on PS Store as well (this includes all regional storefronts - US/PAL/JP), so...yeah, I know its been nearly 9-10 years since release, but there goes Vader/Yoda and the DLC outfit parts, as its lost forever.
Yep that's pretty lame. They couldn't be bothered to renew the license.

I'm surprised so many people are that enthusiastic about DLC, let alone for a game which hasn't even been announced yet. Personally, though the concept of DLC sounds all fine and dandy, in practice I think it's mostly been disappointing, what with the disc-locked characters (utterly moronic) and such.

I think selling an incomplete game, and then selling the rest of it in small chunks (stages, modes, disc-locked characters...) needs to be avoided, and the only DLC I support (not that it means I'll surely buy it) is:

1. New game modes and characters, but if and only if the game itself already feels complete, with enough content to justify the DLC as ADDITIONAL content, not something that was supposed to be in the game in the first place. That means, for example, modes that are experimental and/or are not crucial (full story mode, online, practice, VS, character creation, at least one other mode that changes some aspects of gameplay to make it interesting (CoTS, ToTLS, Weapon Master...), and that were preferably thought of and created AFTER the game was released.

2. Things like costumes and characters for which the Project Soul had to buy a licence to use, for example the Tekken costumes for SCV. I'd much rather that the guest characters (especially if they don't fit into the universe) had to be bought, and not new stages or costumes from previous games (for the latter, see: SCV DLC).

Me too, but only on the X360.

But yes, for one or two reasons I guess why the DLC and the digital X360 version is gone is usually license issues. Either by Disney, or by Bamco, either/or.
Not everything lasts and has to get removed at some point in time. Such as the MUA hero/villain DLC characters.

I think selling an incomplete game, and then selling the rest of it in small chunks (stages, modes, disc-locked characters...) needs to be avoided, and the only DLC I support (not that it means I'll surely buy it)
That's utopia, we should avoid SCV/SFV situation, but in modern age of gaming you will never get a full game for 60$, that's why everyone is asking for "cutted" parts to be decent at least. Also, this would sound stupid for most, but it's not a wrong practice (as long as it's not too shameless). Nowadays creating a game costs more than before and 60$-per-copy would give a little profit, so for gaming companies to not go bankrupt, but don't bring backlash "80/100$?, are you insane?" they sell games by parts, which is more acceptable for most people. Also if they'll create additional content and realese it for prolonged time (characters, costumes etc) that could extend game's life and thats quite nice.

Last edited:
That's utopia, we should avoid SCV/SFV situation, but in modern age of gaming you will never get a full game for 60$, that's why everyone is asking for "cutted" parts to be decent at least. Also, this would sound stupid for most, but it's not a wrong practice (as long as it's not too shameless). Nowadays creating a game costs more than before and 60$-per-copy would give a little profit, so for gaming companies to not go bankrupt, but don't bring backlash "80/100$?, are you insane?" they sell games by parts, which is more acceptable for most people. Also if they'll create additional content and realese it for prolonged time (characters, costumes etc) that could extend game's life and thats quite nice.

Supporting the game by releasing *additional* content is fine with me too.

But honestly I would rather pay more initially for a complete game and have all the content that's supposed to be included. I do understand that most people wouldn't agree with me. I'm not otherwise an avid gamer, and since my interest in gaming is limited to few franchises, I'm ready to shell out more for each new installment, because I know I'll be playing it for a while. Maybe it's just a matter of principle, but I find the micro-transactions system abhorrent, unless done right.

But honestly I would rather pay more initially for a complete game and have all the content that's supposed to be included. I do understand that most people wouldn't agree with me. I'm not otherwise an avid gamer, and since my interest in gaming is limited to few franchises, I'm ready to shell out more for each new installment, because I know I'll be playing it for a while. Maybe it's just a matter of principle, but I find the micro-transactions system abhorrent, unless done right.
That's why "Deluxe edition" exists. You're basically always able to buy full game day one for ~80-100$. And I'm kinda same, I follow quite a few franchises myself.

I'm surprised so many people are that enthusiastic about DLC, let alone for a game which hasn't even been announced yet. Personally, though the concept of DLC sounds all fine and dandy, in practice I think it's mostly been disappointing, what with the disc-locked characters (utterly moronic) and such.

I think selling an incomplete game, and then selling the rest of it in small chunks (stages, modes, disc-locked characters...) needs to be avoided, and the only DLC I support (not that it means I'll surely buy it) is:

1. New game modes and characters, but if and only if the game itself already feels complete, with enough content to justify the DLC as ADDITIONAL content, not something that was supposed to be in the game in the first place. That means, for example, modes that are experimental and/or are not crucial (full story mode, online, practice, VS, character creation, at least one other mode that changes some aspects of gameplay to make it interesting (CoTS, ToTLS, Weapon Master...), and that were preferably thought of and created AFTER the game was released.

2. Things like costumes and characters for which the Project Soul had to buy a licence to use, for example the Tekken costumes for SCV. I'd much rather that the guest characters (especially if they don't fit into the universe) had to be bought, and not new stages or costumes from previous games (for the latter, see: SCV DLC).
Well, Namco has established from SC IV onwards that there will probably be a few DLC characters.

The CAS packs have also been DLC since SCIV.

Then there's the downloadable sound tracks from previous games...

They haven't parted out game modes so far so I doubt that will happen. Way too easy to crash on the rocks with something like that, and they're definitely trying to avoid a SFV situation with Tekken 7.

Back