How to survive against heavy hitters??

XenofacT

[08] Mercenary
How do I survive against fighters like Seigfried, Mitsurugi, and Nightmare?? In that order, those are who I hate to face the most. I get destroyed by them. I lose a lot already, but with these guys, it's almost a guaranteed loss.

The problem I keep coming across is when my block is broken by one of their low mix-up attacks. I've gotten the hang of guarding low when its necessary. However, when the strike hits me, my fighter is pushed too far back to counter attack, or they come in with an attack right after that is faster than any counter attack I could come up with.. I currently main Tira, but before that it was Viola. I gave up on Viola because she just doesn't do enough damage to these behemoths in this game.

Besides blocking low I also try to sidestep, but almost always fail because I'm hit by a horizontal attack.

So how do I survive (on Xbox Live) against these fighters that seemingly kill me in 10 hits??

You need more experience.

First- what lows are you being hit with? Mitsurugi's 2KB BE cannot be reacted to, only guessed- but, Mitsu 1A, Siegfried low sweeps, Nightmare 1A, these can be spotted and blocked. If you cannot recognize the startup animation, go into practice mode, set the computer to "Main Moves" mode, and switch window until you get to their lows. Then, watch them over and over until you're familiar.

Second- Are you set on maining Tira? She is not particularly beginner-friendly.

Finally- when you sidestep, when do you sidestep?

You can't sidestep out in the open. People will notice and hit you with horizontals.

A good time to sidestep would be right after your attack was blocked, or right after you've been hit and you haven't been knocked down.

If you cannot recognize the startup animation, go into practice mode, set the computer to "Main Moves" mode, and switch window until you get to their lows. Then, watch them over and over until you're familiar.

Like this guy said its just a matter of recognising the animation, it will come with time and you can punish most low attacks on block. Eventually you will see it coming a mile off and start jumping low attacks thats when the fun begins.

Q: How to survive against heavy hitters??
A: Don't get hit

Captain-obvious-5-nobrain1.jpg

This may not seem very profound but it's true...
You jump the lows!
Seriously nobody uses jump attacks these days.
:P

Thanks for all your input guys.. Unfortunately, like most of us now, I'm at work right now. But I'll be sure to jump in training and practice jump attacks on lows on those behemoths. Just one thing, it would be safer to do Jump A instead of B right?

Thanks for all your input guys.. Unfortunately, like most of us now, I'm at work right now. But I'll be sure to jump in training and practice jump attacks on lows on those behemoths. Just one thing, it would be safer to do Jump A instead of B right?

If your opponent is mid whiff surely the vertical jump attack would be better?

Just be brave.

Honestly you may also be punishing the lows too late. With Nightmare for example, if you guard his 1a, but punish late with a vert, he can still auto GI you with grim stride A, the backfist that you've probably seen by now. Many unsafe attacks in this game require that the appropriate punish be input VERY quickly after blocking. Again, your solution would be to go into practice mode and set the opponents to do these moves, then block immediately (or grim stride A immediately, lol). If it's not on the "main moves" list, you can always use the record command feature.

Both Nightmare and Siegfried become much less scary if you understand their options out of stance. Why not try picking them up yourself for a while? That's what I've been doing this week to learn how to beat Maxi's new shenanigans, I've been beating people with them myself lol. In doing so, I've already found some holes in his strings that I didn't know existed.

Jump A is usually high and very situational. Jump B or Jump K is generally better, or if your character has a dedicated Tech Jump move, use that.

Hello, XenofacT, on 2/7/2012, 9:59 pm, you sent me a message on XBL that said "garbage. learn moves" after I defeated you in Global Colosseo. I was probably using some combination of Pyrrah or Pyrrah Omega that looked like Celes Chere from Final Fantasy 6. I take exception to the notion that me, my playstyle, Pyrrah, or Celes are somehow "garbage," and especially to the larger implication that your loss was somehow a result of me playing in an unfair or exploitative manner. I also take exception to the assertation that I need to somehow "learn moves," as I am the author of what is arguably the prominent Soul Calibur 1 FAQ that is, in fact, possibly responsible for a very large number of players learning numerous setups and implementations of a very difficult move.
It appears that between now and the seventh of February you seem to have adopted a much more open-minded learning attitude and I hope you continue to do so in the future. I wish you success in all of your future Soul Calibur endeavors in the future, especially if you get mercilessly bulldogged in the dick by a rushdown OTG wakeup beast like Pyrrah.

Sincerely,
IvanOoze

Attachments

• xenofact.jpg
    xenofact.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 176
Just about all of the heavy hitters are very punishable. Go to training mode, set the AI to do what ever move is giving you trouble (followed by an immediate block/evade), and try to figure out how to punish them.

Not all moves are punishable, you just have to figure out which ones are.

Or, if you really want a shortcut, just look up frame data and see if your move has less frames on impact than NM's move does on recovery. Once you learn how to punish them, they will seem like a breeze.

Be on guard though, a good NM or Sieg knows how to mix-up and be unpredictable (or better yet, play safe). Learn their patterns, predict, punish.

Good characters to use against these "hard hitters" are the Alexandra's (Pat, Pyhrra, Omega Pyrrha. These character's are heavily based off of punishment.

Tira is not the best newbie character IMO, but if your heart is set on her, I completely understand character loyalty.

Another way to figure out these characters weaknesses has already been mentioned by someone: Learn to use them yourself.

Back