I just noticed...

Enkindu

This town needs an enema
No, this isn't a parody of G.I. Joe. This is pretty straight forward. What people typically tend to do after a successful 6 or 3 GI is throw. It's a guaranteed 50/50 chance of doing some damage. It's easy, you know? It's kind of a lazy way to go about doing this with Voldo. Especially when you have the potential to do more damage than a throw, am I right? Hear me out.

6:6B must be re-GI'd. If it isn't, you get an inescapable crumple stun that can guarantee up to 60-70 damage, from repelling a single move! I hear how good 6:6B is for punshing, but lets face it, how often do you really get to punish anything with it? You can block the occassional Mitsu 2KB and punish it with 6:6B pretty easily, but try doing it against a move like Mitsu's B~A. It's definately punishable with 6:6B, however you must have that move ready to go as soon as you come out of block stun. You can get it consistently, but it is more work, right? Also, Kilik will rarely finish Asura unless the first hit connects. I am not even sure if you can punish the 2nd hit if you block it. I will have to test this out when I get the chance, but if you can, it poses the same responsiblity, and that is:

Don't be a lazy Voldo user.

With 6:6B and A+B post-GI, you can condition your opponent to re-GI or die. They don't get a 50/50 chance to break a throw. Nope... This is guaranteed damage even if they wait post GI to anticipate a throw break opportunity. You condition them to re-GI 6:6B until they start to re-GI it.

Now I know some of you may be saying, "Ok, so now that they start re-GI'ing my 6:6B, I should start throwing now, right?"

NO! What you should start doing is mixing A+B in there now as it hit's slower than 6:6B so that if the opponent tries to re-GI an expecting 6:6B they will eat the last hit or two of A+B giving you another combo that does around 50-60 damage!

Don't be a lazy Voldo!

Think of what your friends will say when you start hitting them with actual moves?! They can't now say, "All you do is throw. Throwing is for pussies!" Nope, you will be beating them with skill! A skill that you've learned to master through practice and technique.

What do you see the top players do after GI'ing? AA? BB? Throw? Eh, it's the basics. Give yourself the edge with doing combo's post-GI! Make your opponent scared to attack! Then throw! Ah, I'm getting ahead of myself. You see what I am getting at though. I'm actually foaming at the mouth.

Don't be a lazy VOLDO

His name is VolDO not VolDONT, k? GO PRACTICE!

Depends on who you play and how often, this is really person based knowledge. Basic anticipation. And this type of mixup method is essentially the same for every character.

Eh? I think you missed the point here, but I'll speak with you on what you interpret from the post. What character's can do 60+ damage post-gi? Without throwing... I'm not saying that nobody else can, I am really asking who can? Amy probably can come close. Don't be a Debbie Downer. Basic anticipation comes with the GI. Executing a 6:6B post GI sounds basic. Kay. Executing 6:6B, following it up with 66B, then 6:6B then 2A+B~236B or K sounds essentially the same for every character? This is the Voldo section. Not general discussion. I'm talking about Voldo post GI strat's in a fun way.

if they are re-GIing everything, throw in the odd [B+K] after a GI... if THAT actually lands, it HURTS!

If you're good at GI-ing...and you GI/JI Backurn.

BS GI - BS 3B (another GTD 3B plus wakes), BS 44A (fast), BS 1K (nice delay move), BS 66A+G...You gotta

BS JI - BS B+K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm getting good at JI BS B+K. When opponents see my BS A+B auto-gi setup they start low poking me out of it. Then I 3G JI and go for 90+ damage!!

GI makes Voldo that much stronger....Mitsu SC2 Stronger!!

Nice thoughts there, I´ll definitely look into it once I get my ps fixed. I usually use A+B or [B+K] as post-GI options, didn´t think of 6:6B though.

On a side note, BS A+B GIs all highs and mids except kicks, was that correct?

Jimbossa, I am not sure if it GI's ALL high's and mid's, minus kicks. I think there might be some high's and mid's that it won't GI. I haven't tested it for sure, but I think this is true.

D.I.N.O, does BS 3B have to be re-GI'd or are they able to block it after being GI'd? A nice combo you can pull off BS 3B is, BS 3B BS 66K, BS 4B. I haven't done much testing with BS GI'ing, I only started doing 6:6B post GI a couple of days ago when the thought of it came into my head. I was toying with the idea, and BS 22k[K] seems like it might be ok to use after baiting a GI.

Outkast, that is a great idea too! I remember doing that as my post GI game in SC2. Then 2G came out and really fucked that all up so I forgot about it. Thanks to you though, I remember! ;p

Belial, I was thinking that the GI would push the opponent back far enough so that the first hit of A+B wouldn't hit, making it a bit slower. I am probably wrong on this though. If that's the case, it makes [B+K] a decent replacement.

This is exactly the discussion I was hoping to get. I almost regreted posting this in my sleep when Balanced Chaos came in here. Thanks for keeping positive!

I was doing some research in training last night for a little while. I was playing Voldo, of course, but using a pad. I normally use a joystick, but just for the research I used a pad. These are the notes that I took in the time I was playing. I hope you can find them useful:

Death Roll B: You are able to break someones soul with this move, and come out of stance in time to press all 4 buttons to Critical Finish before they can recover from the soul breaking stun. To do this: As soon as you press the B button and it breaks their soul, press K to flip backwards, and then you press all 4. It must be done fast. Will not work after breaking soul with DR A.

Something positive about Blind stance 4A+B is it's a semi-safe (-19 on guard), move to get you out of Blind Stance when you would rather not turtle in Blind Stance and wait for an attack to block. In some cases, you get to keep some distance and prevent them from in-close mix-ups.

While using the pad, I found it easier to use the RB button on the xbox pad as an A+B macro. 2 A+B~236 then pressing RB + K (on the face pad), will give you easy access to the Praying Mantis ~Calioistro Rush taunt cancel. I.E. 2RB ~236RB+K

You have to only use Death Roll A then B combo as a Counter Hit only. This particular combination of Death Roll attacks is interruptable on block and on normal hit. If you start off with Death Roll A as a normal hit on your first attack upon entering Death Roll, do another A if you expect them to react, or do nothing and wait for a reaction, then go into your Land Fish infinite. To do the Land Fish infinite use BB as soon as you enter Death Rush (You can get the move inputs from the movelist in game.), then you mix up the speed of B inputs in no more than 2 consecutive button presses. Pausing after 1 or 2 Death Roll attacks will allow your next attack from Death Roll not to put you in that Death Roll taunt. So you are able to delay attacks from Death Roll to keep attacking, without the taunt, infinitely. There is a small window where you pause.

If you Break Soul with Death Roll A, do DR A, DR B combination right after for 38 Counter Hit damage on Broken Armor, guaranteed. You are not able to Critial Finish after Death Roll A. DR BB can be blocked.

Blind Stance 3B, BS 66K, BS 4B combo is only techable to their left.

You can Break Soul with the first hit of 66A+B, causing the 2nd hit to be on Counter and send them into the back spin where Voldo get's 2A+B ~236B_K guaranteed. This will cause 44 damage used in this method.

If you want to use Super Freak avoids (2_8A+K), and be able to do a move right after, use Super Freak Up (8A+K). This will allow you to use 2 or 1_3 directional inputs without putting yourself into Mantis Crawl by mistake. By doing something like: (2A+K ~3BB) it will require some very strict timing to prevent you from going into Mantis Crawl when you execute 3BB after Super Freak Down. You'll have to wait for Voldo to fully recover from the Super Freak Down. Doing it like 8A+K, ~3BB can be inputed before Super Freak recovers without putting you into Mantis Crawl

You will most likely recover in Blind Stance after successfully hitting BS 22B on a tech trap if you follow up with 2A+B ~236B. In other words, Doing BS 22B, 2A+B ~236B on an awkward bounce will most likely make you recover in Blind Stance.

You can cancel a taunt into a Critical Finish by pressing all 4 buttons, So after executing the Praying Mantis ~ Caliostro Rush taunt cancel. There is no need to hit G first to cancel the taunt animation. 2A+B ~236A+B+K, G+A+B+K

Only do BS 4B after hitting Blind Assault (BS 66K) or play a step-practical oki as doing anything else might get the attack rolled around, leaving you seriously disadvantaged.

Hey Enkindu, 4A+B in general is -9 on hit, what do you recommend doing after it hits besides Guarding or GI'ing???
And -19 on grd is horrible... ex: punishable by Algol's 3B, QI B, 11K for around mmm 80 something maybe 90 damage + advantage (especially offline), etc...
And, these are very helpfull notes, great job!!!

Well, on paper, there isn't much you can do. In the worst case, their fastest move can hit you 11 frames faster if you do your fastest attack while being at -9. 4A+B isn't really a good move.

I was just trying to find something positive to say about it. I have seen, many times, someone not reacting to a move they don't see very often. 4A+B would certainly fit in this catagory, but on paper, it's really bad.

Doesn't BS 3B, 66K knock them too far away for any follow ups unless by a wall or edge? And if they are by a wall or edge, I usually do BS 3B, 66K, 3B. That might be techable, though. I haven't checked.

Yeah, nice notes.

No, BS 4B, and BS 2K will connect after any BS 66K (BS 4B can even be done hitting BS 66K on a standing opponent). It's only techable to their left.

how do you combo with 4B after BS 66K, the slow, linear low which grounds voldo face down.....? I HAVE TO SEE THIS FIRST HAND because my mental image makes ZERO SENSE......

Do you mean 44K? 66K is the ass-bump, which leaves him, well...not grounded, and not face-down. And if you're having a dyslexic moment (no shame, for hte longest time I would hit 1B after BS 44A, as my thumbs wuold get mixed up and think 1 was 3), you might be thinking that 4B=6B.

And then you'd probably be getting a totally mixed up picture.

Well I've got an odd combo I'd like to share and discuss... (I guess it's a note right?)
Well I've been trying to find good combos off of BS 22_88B, the best one I have seems to be very difficult to pull off online...
BS 22B, 4A, BS 66K, BS 66B - this is a non-AC combo, I'm pretty sure, it all depends on when 4A connects...
BS 66B is guaranteed after BS 66K hits them so they slide away from you in mid-air...
But other times it will slide them toward you in an awkward fashion and allow BCR B to tech trap them for BCR B, BS 66K etc... and after BS 66K, BS 66A will tech trap... furthermore after all of this connects you will probably be close enough to a wall so that BS 66A will Wall Splat them for BS 66A, W!, 1 combo and then mixups off of that are easy win... if all of this hits it leaves you with 220 damage dealt and +10 advantage... and if they guess wrong the round is your's...
But most of the time the "booty" will knock them far enough away that BS 66B is the only guaranteed followup to the combo...

Another thing about 4A+B, is it could be useful against Taki's PO Side Step... (if timed correctly of course) but even on hit, she can a+bA (mekki cancel I believe it's called? - i8) and get PO mixups off that... and you'd probably be in BS so you can't Super Freak evade the mixups =(

On another note, if 44~MCHT connects on a airborne opponent, 2_8~LFHT, LFHT A+B (unblockable) is guaranteed... and thats really the only time I would use it competetivley, however rare the occassion may be... and if you guess 2 or 8 wrong in Mantis you could end up FT in Landfish (don't ask me how this happens)... but this is great against Yoshi's FLE and DGF stances...

I was also fooling around with BS 22KK (without going into MCFT), I found a lame ass way to get 6:6B off of it...
BS 22KK, A, 6:6B... I know its stupid crazy good... It's hard to AC out of but I think if they AC to the Back-Right they can escape but I'm not all too sure... If A hits them at the right time 6:6B could be guaranteed and most of the time they land closer than ussual afterward...

Back