If there was a Soul Calibur VI, prequel/sequel/reboot/retcon?

HiguraShiki

[10] Knight
Lets say in the future, there is a Soul Calibur VI, would you rather have it be a prequel to V and just focus from where IV left off, would you prefer it go in the direction it is going, would you prefer they just completely reboot the story, or would you prefer they just retcon the story of V in general?

To me, I would say just focus on where IV left off and add some new warriors or just do a retcon and bring back the old cast. A reboot for Soul Calibur would be desired but considering how contrived and complex the story is, Project Soul may need to pull a page from MK9 and make us understand the characters' motives and give them their own chapters in the story mode as well as some surprises and arcade mode endings in order to do so. Because at this point, the Soul series is in need of saving and SC5 isn't/wasn't it.

Hmmm...I think they should reboot the series and make the story start from the first SC/SB and end at the Patroklos/Pyrrha story or beyond. It'd be good to see things from the beginning again, especially for people like myself who didn't get into SC until SCII or SCIII. oxo
A whole revamp of everything will never happen...but oh well. XD

A story system that I really like is from Dynasty Warriors 7, where there are separate kingdom stories that weave together through many different events to become one complete one.....and the stories are basically the same throughout each sequel of the game.
SC is a fighting game, so...there are people that care and don't care at all about the story...probably with more people in the latter. :/

In my opinion as a casual offline gamer, SCV is kind of a downgrade from SCIV, despite all the pretty graphic changes and everything. SCV has the boring quick match and legendary souls modes...and the whole leveling thing is just tiring and repetitive...I think I'd rather have the gold and shop system back for getting things in-game.
All the offline stuff in SCV...is just boring. Story mode was amusing for a while, but all the storyboard cutscenes started to bore me after the first few episodes. >_> The rendered cutscenes were like a rare treasure or something, and I always wanted more. *w*
The character creation is really spiffy...it's just the clothing items/armor/etc that needs a lot of work...mainly with the selection of items.
All online stuff is a huge turn-off for me and I avoid it at all costs. XD

I think SC has the potential to be more than just a fighter and it would really make a great RPG or something...but...I think it's more for fan-service and tournament/competitive peeps now. XP

Anywho...that's what I think. X3

Story was never a major factor for me, like most Japanese games with this many sequels (King of Fighters, Street Fighter, Resident Evil) the story has turned into a clusterf*ck of twists and turns.

I played as Hilde, Sophitia and Cassandra in SCIV, if they had removed all three from SCV I wouldn't have bought it. Think its more important that they don't remove characters the way they have, feel sorry for all those players who mained as Talim as shes now gone. At least chars like Kilik and Taki have clones with new movesets.

I hope they take the old school route and release the next installment to arcades first for gameplay's sake, and then work on everything else like the story mode, single player modes, Cas, and some glitches and fixes encountered during gameplay, for the console version like Tekken is doing with Tag Tournament 2, but I guess that involves money as well.

That in itself could be one factor as to why Soul Blade, Soul Calibur, and Soul Calibur 2 turned out so successful compared to SCIV and somewhat SCIII.

The story actually kinda went nuts after SC IV, and then because the ending of "siegfried"(is that right?) in soul calibur IV is considered the real ending, i guess algol wouldnt make it, the problem with fighter games is that, it is hard to make every characters becomes prominent within the story mode. The story will becomes only focusing on one/two characters instead of many characters. Because of that, maybe that's why PS pulls out tekken time skip, where 17 years later, where it is the setting of SC V, and focus on the Alexandra's family, but then again it failed horribly, because it's too focused on the alexandra family. SImply said, for the story mode, the cast is too big...with some of the characters didnt appear. Project SOul leaks a big,handful of characters, so if there is going to be a story mode, we tend to think that those characters will be a major in the story mode, because they are named and for the most part very important in the story because they are playable.

So what i want to see, is that every characters plays a role that is pretty important in the story mode.

I'd like a prequel to SB. Either a couple years earlier with younger characters from the original roster, or a super far-removed prequel 10,000 years in the past to when Algol first fought for the swords with all different characters.

Sadly, I think SC6, (if it even happens now, given the mediocre reviews 5 is getting), will just be a continuation of this old dull story, which doesn't even make sense any more. (How many times has SE been destroyed already?)

The 17 year leap has put the series in an odd position. I like a lot of the new characters in 5, but I also like a lot of the old characters/styles that didn't make it into the game. I have no idea where PS is gonna go on from here.
Probably like they did with Tekken:

-Females will have little to no chance of returning again as "playable" characters. Talim is a possible exception, but who knows at this point. The rest will probably appear if the game is a spin-off or a non-canon game, or be replaced, which some have been (Taki, Sophitia, somewhat Cassandra, Xianghua, Setsuka, and....by the looks of it, Seong Mina).
-Males (Zasalamel, and Yun-Seong) will have some chance at returning.
-The rest, hopefully, will be "new" characters with "new styles".

If they're going to do a prequel, I'd prefer it as side-game. Seriously though, a prequel would be very interesting! I prefer SCVI to be a sequel.

I don't see a point.

I think that the series should continue to move forward. I think that SCVI should occur just after SCV and with this give the new characters a proper story. I feel as though if the time frame is close enough they can still salvage most of what was intended for SCV aside from the pyrrha and patroklos unite-fest that was SCV story mode.

I think the missing plot elements in SCV should be filled in SCVI. I Raphael really Dumas/Nightmare? How did Amy lose her memory? Will Taki return?

There are still ways of bringing the older characters back, say that Taki's soul was trapped in the Soul Edge for ten years or something dumb like that, and she was released when the blade was broken. Bam, you've got young Taki again.

I think the missing plot elements in SCV should be filled in SCVI. I Raphael really Dmuas/Nightmare? How did Amy lose her memory? Will Taki return?

There are still ways of bringing the older characters back, say that Taki's soul was trapped in the Soul Edge for ten years or something dumb like that, and she was released when the blade was broken. Bam, you've got young Taki again.
Oh damn! That plotline might actually work?!
Why aren't you a part of Project Soul's story writers?

Yeah this always bothered me. I don't mind time skips, Tekken 3 did it fine, and still kept Anna and Nina young with the whole cryogenic bullshit plot mechanic. Taki is an iconic character, if they really were having a problem keeping a 40 year old ninja in, they should've just written around it to make her never age. Ivy never ages, Amy ages slowly because she's a vampire, Tira doesn't age, it wouldn't be hard to do.

Yeah this always bothered me. I don't mind time skips, Tekken 3 did it fine, and still kept Anna and Nina young with the whole cryogenic bullshit plot mechanic. Taki is an iconic character, if they really were having a problem keeping a 40 year old ninja in, they should've just written around it to make her never age. Ivy never ages, Amy ages slowly because she's a vampire, Tira doesn't age, it wouldn't be hard to do.
There would be no point in making a time skip if everyone stopped aging.

I guess you're right, technically time skips have indeed been used to introduce new fighting styles and younger versions of existing characters (Hwoarang Baek, Remy Guile etc.)

I just like Taki a lot.

And her melons.

The time skip screwed the series, just like Tekken. Being that Sophitia's children turned out completely lame and idiotic, the justification for doing so fell flat on its face.

No one wants to see replacements of classic characters.

They should just make a Soul Calibur tag game without any story or required logic so the older characters, all the way back to Soul Edge, can be seen again.

I'd like it to be a sequel but a unique one similar to Resident evil 3. Focusing on Raphael leading up to the moment that
He turns into nightmare?
and after her wakes up to continue his search for Amy.

Back