In-game definition of "Clean Hit"

Jesster

[08] Mercenary
My understanding of the term "clean hit" in this and previous soul games has always been the following:

A successful (unblocked) attack is considered a "clean hit" when it hits deep on a standing or crouching opponent directly facing the attacker. Most moves don't have any special effect on clean hit, however a few do have special properties (such as attack throw animations) that only trigger on clean hit. Any of the following can prevent an attack from being considered a clean hit:

Hitting an airborn opponent.
Hitting a prone opponent.
Hitting an opponent off-axis.
Hitting an opponent at max range of a move (ie. not hitting deep enough).

However, I've recently noticed that SCV actually seems to detect clean hits and notify the players when they occur in the same way that counter hits, GI's, Unblockables, and other special move properties are displayed on the side of the screen mid-match. Every once in a while, you may notice your character flash blue while performing an attack, and this is always accompanied by a "Clean Hit" label appearing under your lifebar.

Now, that wouldn't be too unusual except that the moves the game identifies as "clean hits" don't seem to bear any resemblance to the definition listed above. Not only have I NOT seen the "clean hit" label applied to moves like Mitsurugi's B+K when I get the attack throw, but I've seen the blue flash, and "clean hit" label appear for moves that were blocked, and even moves that whiffed completely.

So I know what I mean when I talk about a "clean hit", but what the hell is the game talking about when it labels a move a "clean hit"?

Any ideas?

a "Clean Hit" is character dependant. Each character has a certain number of moves that can be "clean hit" adding 10 plus damage or so.

for example....Maxis 6A+B. Depending on the input time, it is able to become a "clean hit" if executed properly. I believe its more relative to timing of the input rather than what your opponent is doing.

Someone else can prolly sum this up better than me, but all characters have a certain number of moves that are able to be "Clean hit"

HRD

ahem

"Clean Hit is a random possibility attached to some specific moves. This feature makes those attacks more valuable in a sense, though only at random. There are three different Clean Hit probabilities, with A being the highest and C the lowest. When an attack connects as a Clean Hit, its damage will be increased by 25%, and a blue visual effect flashes on the attacking character.

It can be sometimes worth using a move that can Clean Hit over another in combos or punishment, especially if the attack's Clean Hit rating is A and the damage is high. The attacks that have Clean Hit versions are shown in each character's full move list in the VS Play Chapter, along with their probability."

I've only seen Clean Hit probabilities listed in the Soul Calibur V FuturePress guide.

e.g. for Mitsurugi, 66A+B has a Clean Hit rating of C. 236B has a Clean Hit rating of A. 236B will Clean Hit more often than 66A+B over the long term.

Drake got it - only specific moves have the potential to be clean hits, and it's completely random whether they come out as clean or regular.

Basically they redefined what "clean hit" means. It has absolutely nothing to do with what you described, Jesster, even though it's what us old-timers know as a "clean hit." It's confusing, but what are you gonna do?

Yeah, while I find the idea of a completely random damage boost rather lame, at least it seems miniscule enough not to have much of an impact on gameplay. On the other hand, I think I'm more annoyed by their commandeering an existing, well-established term and changing its meaning completely. They might as well have called the new mechanic a "critical hit" rather than "clean hit", as that's basically what it is.

The most ridiculous part, is when someone misses with a move with clean hit properties and the clean hit flash/notification appears anyways (more like a clean miss...). They could have at least waited until the move connects to determine whether or not its a clean hit then to avoid that silliness.

Actually, that and Leixia's cry baby having clean hit properties. So it goes from virtually no damage, to still virtually no damage. So pointless!

The Clean Hit will occur well before actually hitting the opponent.

What I don't get is how some Throws can be Clean Hits. the hell is that.

also Jesster = Crooked Jester = Tharon Mortis = Frame Master?!?!

also Jesster = Crooked Jester = Tharon Mortis = Frame Master?!?!

Nope. Jesster = just Jesster (or sometimes The Jesster). The same Jesster that's been lurking around here, caliburforums.com, guardimpact.com, and soulcalibur.com on and off since the days of Arcade SC 1

Resurrecting the thread :
I'm looking for the probability of each type of Clean Hit (A, B and C) but can't find the numbers. Has anybody found them ?

Some of these are multi-hit strings. Check in training to see which hit activates the Clean Hit. In some cases (Pat 236B BE) you can get two Clean Hits in a row.

This is pre-patch data. (I've tried to edit in where the patch notes have said they've changed things.)

Patroklos

B+K
Clean Hit B

8B+K
Clean Hit A

66A
Clean Hit C

44B+K
Clean Hit C

236B
Clean Hit C

236:B
Clean Hit A

66A BE
Clean Hit C

236B BE
Clean Hit C

ZWEI

4A+B_4[A+B]
Clean Hit C

66BA
Clean Hit C

44B
Clean Hit C

66B+K
Clean Hit A

Leixia

6BaB
Clean Hit C

4BbK
Clean Hit A

4a+bB
Clean Hit C

2B+K
Clean Hit A

3B+KK
Clean Hit A

FC 3bB
Clean Hit C

wrB
Clean Hit C

wrA+BbB
Clean Hit C

44aB
Clean Hit C

66BbB
Clean Hit C

Grounded A+B “Crybaby”
Clean Hit A

AA BE K
Clean Hit A

Natsu

BB4A+B
Clean Hit C

41236B
Clean Hit C

4A+B
Clean Hit C

8A+B
Clean Hit A

wrB4A+B
Clean Hit C

66B
Clean Hit C

Clean Hit A

PO B
Clean Hit A

Hover B
Clean Hit A

Wind Roll BBB
Clean Hit A

66B BE
Clean Hit C

Ezio Auditore

1A (CH)
Clean Hit C

4AB 8_2B
Clean Hit C

6B
Clean Hit B

4B6 (CH)
Clean Hit C

B+K
Clean Hit C

6B+K
Clean Hit C

6B+K 8_2B
Clean Hit C

2B+K
Clean Hit C

4B+K
Clean Hit C

66AB 8_2B
Clean Hit C

66A2B
Clean Hit C

Back throw
Clean Hit C

6B BE
Clean Hit B

CE
Clean Hit A

Raphael

236B
Clean Hit B

8A+B
Clean Hit A

6_2_8_4B+K
Clean Hit C

33KB
Clean Hit C

BT B+K
Clean Hit C

SE B
Clean Hit C

6BB BE
Clean Hit B

33K BE
Clean Hit B

Prep BB BE
Clean Hit B

Viola

66B
Clean Hit C

44B
Clean Hit C

22A+B
Clean Hit B

Pyrrha

2BB
Clean Hit C

3KK
Clean Hit C

66B
Clean Hit C

22BAK
Clean Hit C

44KB
Clean Hit C

B+G
Clean Hit C

Clean Hit A

66B BE
Clean Hit C

CE
Clean Hit C

Siegfried

None appear to be listed, but I know they exist (I believe SCH B is one).

Hilde

6AKB
Clean Hit B

3A CH
Clean Hit B
B+K
Clean Hit B

22B
Clean Hit C

C3A
Clean Hit C

C4A
Clean Hit A

C3B(A)
Clean Hit C

C4B
Clean Hit A

3B BE
Clean Hit B

Xiba

3BKK
Clean Hit C

4B
Clean Hit B

4B+K
Clean Hit C

FC A+B
Clean Hit A

7_8_9K
Clean Hit A

66KB
Clean Hit C

33KB
Clean Hit C

BT B+K
Clean Hit C

RM B
Clean Hit B

Grounded A+B
Clean Hit C

Ivy

6B8 (midair opponent)
Clean Hit C

2A+B
Clean Hit C

22BBBBBB (JF)
Clean Hit A

CS
Clean Hit C (increased in 1.02)

CS JF
Clean Hit B (increased in 1.02?)

6B8 BE (midair opponent)
Clean Hit C

A+G BE

Cervantes

BBB
Clean Hit C

8A+B
Clean Hit B

8[B+K]
Clean Hit A

wrA+B
Clean Hit C

wrB+K
Clean Hit C

33B
Clean Hit C

22B
Clean Hit A

22(B) (hold)
Clean Hit A

iGDR
Clean Hit B (reduced in 1.02)

DC B
Clean Hit B

DC 2_8B
Clean Hit B

DC KBB
Clean Hit B

6B BE
Clean Hit C

4B BE
Clean Hit C

22A BE
Clean Hit A

Aeon

6[K]
Clean Hit A

Clean Hit C

B+K
Clean Hit A

1B+K
Clean Hit C

8B+K
Clean Hit C

4B+K
Clean Hit C

4b+kG
Clean Hit C

Clean Hit C

SW K
Clean Hit C

Tira

Clean hits aren’t listed.

Nightmare

NSS b:A
Clean Hit C

CE
Clean Hit C

Mitsurugi

1AB
Clean Hit A

FC 1BB
Clean Hit B

7_8_9A+B
Clean Hit A

11BAB
Clean Hit C

66A+B
Clean Hit C

236B
Clean Hit A

2KB BE
Clean Hit A

236B BE
Clean Hit A

CE
Clean Hit A

Maxi

6B
Clean Hit C

2KB
Clean Hit C

6A+B
Clean Hit C

7_8_9A+B
Clean Hit A

B+KBBBA
Clean Hit C

wrB
Clean Hit A

LO BK
Clean Hit C

LI A
Clean Hit A (reduced in 1.02)

RC AB
Clean Hit C

RC B
Clean Hit C

Neutral Guard (B+K aGI)
Clean Hit A

6A+B BE
Clean Hit C

LI A BE
Clean Hit A (reduced in 1.02)

RC AB BE
Clean Hit C

CE
Clean Hit B (reduced in 1.02)

Yoshimitsu

a:B+K
Clean Hit C

6KK
Clean Hit C

Clean Hit C

6B+KBBB
Clean Hit C

44bB
Clean Hit C

66A+B
Clean Hit C

IND B
Clean Hit C

IND A+B K
Clean Hit A

IND 4_6A+BK
Clean Hit C

4A+K
Clean Hit C

66A BE
Clean Hit A

Dampierre

3BB
Clean Hit C

Bravo! Encore!
Clean Hit A

2A+B
Clean Hit C

44BKBK
Clean Hit C

22KK
Clean Hit C

Clean Hit C

A+G (misfire, ringout property)
Clean Hit C

FP B
Clean Hit C

44K BE
Clean Hit C

CE
Clean Hit C

Voldo

6[A+B]
Clean Hit C

FC 3[A+B]
Clean Hit C

666B (the in-game name for this move is “Satanic Elbow”. huh)
Clean Hit C

66A+BK
Clean Hit C

MCFT A+B
Clean Hit A

MCHT A+B
Clean Hit A

Landfish B
Clean Hit B

BT 7_8_9KA
Clean Hit C

BT 8WRK
Clean Hit A

Landfish B BE
Clean Hit B (guide says “Clean Hit A while being attacked”)

Astaroth

1AB
Clean Hit C

4B (hold)
Clean Hit C

6B+K_[B+K]
Clean Hit B

8B+K
Clean Hit C

8[B+K]
Clean Hit A

66AB
Clean Hit C

66AB (unblockable)
Clean Hit C

66B

63214A+G JF
Clean Hit C

63214B+G JF
Clean Hit C

28B+G
Clean Hit C

28B+G JF
Clean Hit A

aPatroklos

agB JF
Clean Hit C

FC 3aB
Clean Hit C

FC 3a:B
Clean Hit B

11B
Clean Hit C

66A+B
Clean Hit B

2A BE
Clean Hit C

Algol

B8
Clean Hit A

4B+K
Clean Hit C

TD (8B+K) K
Clean Hit A

FC 8B

33ABK
Clean Hit B

FC 8B BE
Clean Hit C

CE (two bars)
Clean Hit C

Pyrrha Omega

4AB
Clean Hit C

Clean Hit C

236B:4
Clean Hit C

DNS B:4
Clean Hit C

6B BE
Clean Hit C

2B BE
Clean Hit C

I would be most grateful.

And yes, I think it would be a good idea to add them on the wiki.
There you have it.

I will have to save putting these on the wiki for another time.

Speaking of which... Shouldn't there be an official wiki by Namco? Looking through the 1.02 patch notes and seeing "reduced chance of Clean Hit" or "shortened freeze" but not actually getting any numbers is just irritating. TTT2 has its frame data in the Prima guide (which supposedly is not that great according to kAb). Frame data doesn't go there though, it goes on the official website, or it goes in the game (preferably both).

I don't understand why they want to keep people in the dark.

I wish SC training mode told you the frame data of the moves and showed the move's hitbox.

I wish SC training mode told you the frame data of the moves and showed the move's hitbox.
Exactly.

We play in a competitive environment. People want to get better. They need tools so that they can.

Even if you don't compete, you still have more fun with the game when you understand more about it.

Shouldn't this stuff be standard by now? I mean really.

TTT2's "punish" sign on the HUD in practice is a step in the right direction, but they need to keep going.

"I'm still not there yet."

There you have it.

I will have to save putting these on the wiki for another time.

Speaking of which... Shouldn't there be an official wiki by Namco? Looking through the 1.02 patch notes and seeing "reduced chance of Clean Hit" or "shortened freeze" but not actually getting any numbers is just irritating. TTT2 has its frame data in the Prima guide (which supposedly is not that great according to kAb). Frame data doesn't go there though, it goes on the official website, or it goes in the game (preferably both).

I don't understand why they want to keep people in the dark.

Thanks a lot, but I thinks there's a misunderstanding : I was asking if someone knew the chance for each type of clean hit of happening. For example, someone told me Clean Hit C had 10% chance, B 25% and A 60%, but it was only a supposition on his part.
That's why I asked if someone had the official numbers...
I wanted to see if some moves with clean hit dealt more damage on the long term than non clean hit moves.

I'm really sorry for the extra work you had to do...

As for the lack of communication about frame data, it seems to be because of trade secret, as KowTow said on this topic :
http://8wayrun.com/threads/raphael-frame-data-discussion.8779/page-3

Thanks a lot, but I thinks there's a misunderstanding : I was asking if someone knew the chance for each type of clean hit of happening. For example, someone told me Clean Hit C had 10% chance, B 25% and A 60%, but it was only a supposition on his part.
That's why I asked if someone had the official numbers...
I wanted to see if some moves with clean hit dealt more damage on the long term than non clean hit moves.

I'm really sorry for the extra work you had to do...
Mm, I see. It's no worries, it needed to be documented, anyway.

Hm, guide doesn't say. Just "High, Medium, or Low". You would have to do probability tests on your own, since the official numbers aren't published...

I personally don't factor in Clean Hits into my play because of that.

It feels like this whole industry when it comes to gaming requires the players to reverse-engineer the game. How backwards.

As for the lack of communication about frame data, it seems to be because of trade secret, as KowTow said on this topic :
http://8wayrun.com/threads/raphael-frame-data-discussion.8779/page-3
Amazing. Has Namco sued InaTekken yet?

Tch.

Back