Interview with Okubo reveals a lot about the game

Macaulyn

[13] Hero
https://www.psu.com/news/soulcalibur-vi-will-take-story-back-first-game/

About the Story
Motohiro Okubo said:
First, in SC6 Mitsurugi and Sophitia have become young again, in terms of timeline we will be returning to SC1 & SC2. Reviewing the whole series, the origin, the tale of where Soul Edge separates from Soul Calibur haven’t been told in great detail, but that is where we think is most important and where we are confident (in telling a moving tale perhaps?) and we would like to tell this tale, and for that returning the timeline back to SC1 & SC2. You might think, hey doesn’t that make the story the same as SC1 & SC2? Well, how the destiny and fate of each character turns out, please play to find out after the game is released.

About Grøh
Motohiro Okubo said:
This is actually a “critical” point in SC6, we can’t go into details yet, but he is a really important character (to the plot), and (there will be a part of the) lore with him at the center that will be unfolded, which is still a secret, sorry guys!

About other characters
Motohiro Okubo said:
We can’t tell you just yet, I’m sorry () Well, we have many characters planned that will make the player go “ah!” This time we have announced another 4 characters, we will be announcing more characters eventually so please wait a bit longer.

About DLC
Motohiro Okubo said:
Yes, we have scheduled to release dlc after official launch of the game. Right now we are still planning a lot for the game, well yes I personally think dlc would come in the most orthodox way, but it is still under development so please wait some more, sorry!

First off, he confirms that we will not see only SC1 in this game, because SC2 will also be in it, confirming Vergeben's leaks about some events from later games being included. Since SC3 and SC4 happen in the same year as SC2, its possible that some of those events may be included as well, since SC2 is part of the focus. He also hints heavily at different events happening, because he specifically brings attention to people who would think the story would be the same, as if it won't be.

Our new character, Grøh, also seems to have a lot more importance than just "being Kilik's rival", which seems very interesting, because, apparently, he is really damn important. Also, regarding new additions, it seems that: A) It won't be long before we get more announcements, since he said they'd announce them eventually, and B) The roster will surprise us. I have no idea if "make the player go 'ah!'" means that we will be relieved to see beloved characters or be shocked to see characters we wouldn't expect.

About DLC, well, at least he said it will be orthodox, so, maybe, there won't be stupid crap?

I would take the "ah!" to mean we will be pleased at their return, personally. But yes, most of this is just adding credibility to Hayate and Vergeben.

I would take the "ah!" to mean we will be pleased at their return, personally. But yes, most of this is just adding credibility to Hayate and Vergeben.

Pleased and... we didn't expect much to be the game, maybe?

I feel it could go along the lines of what MK9 did, and the revisited story could allow some characters from each Calibur to come back ~ But with 21 slots being the potential final roster count, a lot of characters look like they'll be left out. That's still a lot better than 3 Edge-Masters =p

Maybe the "Ah" could come from side characters like Toki actually making an apperance?
Characters that were only mentioned in the story until now.
Bangoo?

Don't mean to be negative, but those side characters will just be custom characters. If we're lucky they might be bonuses like the COTS crew or manga girls.

Yeah probably just daydreaming, also i don't know what Bangoo's age would be around SCII, probably too young... *shrug*
Anyway, it's Soul Calibur VI!!!
I can't wait!

I hope many of the characters at least interact with one another without leaving out so many of them. I've always believed there was great potential in Soul Calibur telling a big epic story for a fighting game, and they had the right idea with V, before it was rushed.

We will finally be fleshing out Kilik and Xianghua, but I hope that will be one large plot out of many large plots. It's maybe too wishful of me but Okubo leaves me hopeful. As long as it's longer than 3 hours.

I hope many of the characters at least interact with one another without leaving out so many of them. I've always believed there was great potential in Soul Calibur telling a big epic story for a fighting game, and they had the right idea with V, before it was rushed.

We will finally be fleshing out Kilik and Xianghua, but I hope that will be one large plot out of many large plots. It's maybe too wishful of me but Okubo leaves me hopeful. As long as it's longer than 3 hours.

Story will be longer than 3 hours with the events of Soul Edge - Soul Calibur III in one game. SCVI is going to get DLC characters for support after the game's release. Tekken 7, Dragon Ball Fighter Z, & NRS games do it for continued support. Tekken 7 is now at EVO 4 years in a row. 2014 - Tekken 7's announcement, 2015 - base version, 2016 - Fatal Retribution, 2017 - Console version, 2018 - Console version with Geese Howard & Noctis as guest characters.

Story will be longer than 3 hours with the events of Soul Edge - Soul Calibur III in one game. SCVI is going to get DLC characters for support after the game's release. Tekken 7, Dragon Ball Fighter Z, & NRS games do it for continued support. Tekken 7 is now at EVO 4 years in a row. 2014 - Tekken 7's announcement, 2015 - base version, 2016 - Fatal Retribution, 2017 - Console version, 2018 - Console version with Geese Howard & Noctis as guest characters.
You're going to tell me how you know all this or I'm going to delete every post you've ever written. (Well not really) But you WILL stop posting things as if they are facts. Do not make me tell you again.

You're going to tell me how you know all this or I'm going to delete every post you've ever written. (Well not really) But you WILL stop posting things as if they are facts. Do not make me tell you again.
I must thank you for that, its been really annoying. If he just announced himself as a leaker, it would have been okay, but it just bothers me.

I must thank you for that, its been really annoying. If he just announced himself as a leaker, it would have been okay, but it just bothers me.

I'm not trying to be the next Vergeben. I'm just going by seeing the usually length of NRS story modes.

NRS story modes are usually 2-4 hours.
2018-02-09_0639.png

Vergeben's Reddit post about classic characters returning & talks about DLC characters.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/7niilu/leakileaks_part_ii_a_statement_of_previous_ones/
2018-02-09_0608.png

Okubo's interview on SCVI's story & DLC characters
2018-02-01_0222.png

2018-02-01_0223.png
2018-02-01_0223.png

I'm not trying to be the next Vergeben. I'm just going by seeing the usually length of NRS story modes.

NRS story modes are usually 2-4 hours.
View attachment 48282

Vergeben's Reddit post about classic characters returning & talks about DLC characters.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/7niilu/leakileaks_part_ii_a_statement_of_previous_ones/
View attachment 48285

Okubo's interview on SCVI's story & DLC characters
View attachment 48286

View attachment 48287 View attachment 48287
That's all fine and good. And I appreciate the research you put in to these things. But you do have a tendency to make these comments as if they were already announced and that's what everyone should expect. While I don't expect you to go into this level of detail every time you post, I do expect you to make sure not to confuse anyone new coming in. Make sure you let people know that these are your theories and if you'd like you can quantify them by posting the research you've put in. I've already seen several people who have come in with the announcement of the new game having to be corrected on what has been confirmed and what is just plain ass guessing. Remember you have every right to post your theories without fear of being attacked for them. I'll make sure of that. You just make sure that you make the effort to let it be known it's just that though.

Back