Is it really possible to see incoming lows/highs?

Possession

[08] Mercenary
I always hear people talk about how if they didn't play online, they could block like every attack because they can see which low or high move is coming. Ok, some moves are slow enough that you really can see them coming, but then there are also other moves that I can't see.

For instance.... Sophitia has two moves that keep me guessing.. One starts as a high then ends in a sweep. The other starts as a sweep, and then ends in that high rising hit. I cannot see which one is coming out so I'm forced to guess at times when they are going to come out. So to counter this, I just try to put on the pressure instead of being pressured. They hurt like a mofo too.

Soooo am I just too slow to react to that first hit or what? Or is that just a reason why Sophitia is upper tier?

Sophitia has two moves that keep me guessing.. One starts as a high then ends in a sweep.

Just block both with a crouching guard if they're indeed high moves and low sweeps as you say.

I don't have much experience online, but I know for offline, you'll find yourself blocking lows the instant they hit. It takes a practice but you'll eventually get used to recognizing moves.

If you're still having trouble, your best bet would be to spend some quality time in training mode and learn each character's move sets to some degree.

If you're still having trouble, your best bet would be to spend some quality time in training mode and learn each character's move sets to some degree.

That's what I need to do. But yeah, after I block the first hit, the 2nd hit is no problem and I GI it most of the time. It's just that first hit I can't see coming.

It depends how bad the lag is. For instance if it is like a half second delay then people could just do like 3ba all day with amy and there is almost no way I could block unless I predict it coming first. Sometimes the lag is so tiny that it would not have had made a difference regardless.

depends... i can block mitsus 1a but i cant block 2kb on reaction.

sophies 1aa is the low/high sweep, i can block that on reaction.. maybe you should practice that in training mode with other random commands until you can see it coming.

Remember, highs and mids are different. Highs will go over your head if you crouch to duck a low. MIDS will hit you out of crouch.

That being said yes, those Sophie strings and any of her attacks that change from mid to low or low to mid, CAN be seen on reaction offline by experienced players. Very easily, in fact.

its better to rely on predicting the opponent than reflex, but its always nice to be able to fall back on reflexes when predictions fail. online play takes that option away from you, which makes things a little irritating at times.

this is especially the case w/ certain matchups - sieg and kilik for instance telegraph their moves like its their job, so theyr quite easy to spot and react to. online play removes (what i think is) their main disadvantage, so these chars end up being significantly more powerful than they actually are.

No one can block that 2K on reaction, you just have to anicipate.

Not true. I was playing against lobo at his place and he blocked it quite frequently. He also kept ducking my throws, and when he didn't duck them, he escaped them. Some people have better reflexes than others.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Guessing Games. If you're like most of us mortals that can't see frames, or don't have superior reflexes, you just have to guess and you have a 50% chance of being right. Maybe a bit higher if you know your opponent well.

But... there's something else you should be doing here, and that's planning ahead for either scenario. To put it in super simple terms:

WRONG
If you sense a Guessing Game coming up, take a guess, and then wait to see what happens.

RIGHT
If you sense a Guessing Game coming up, take a guess and stick with it. Meanwhile, know what you're going to do next if you guessed right (punish!), and what you're going to do next if you guessed wrong (minimize the damage and recover the advantage!)

Above all, just don't let Guessing Games rattle or intimidate you. The psychological impact of Sophitia's High?Low?High? bullshit can be a lot worse for you then the actual damage that she inflicts with it. Maintain your focus.

Of course, another strategy is to know the opponent, the characters and the stage well enough to not let them set up their Guessing Game in the first place. Or at least make it hard for them anyways.

its better to rely on predicting the opponent than reflex, but its always nice to be able to fall back on reflexes when predictions fail.

No way, guy. Reaction is 100% better than prediction. If you can block a low mid mixup by reaction then there is no need to predict anything. Prediction is just guessing and that might net you a 50% success rate. Might as well bump it to a higher percentage if you're fast enough.

How could guessing be better than being certain of something?

Either I'm too old or I smoke too much, but blocking and breaking on reflex is just not reliable for me unless the move is telegraphed.

Some stuff I can see coming in, but I'm usually a player who blocks rushes by predicting the opponent based on previous experience. In other words, I'm one of those who usually loses the first time he encounters a half-decent opponent, then does better in follow ups.

I'm not that good. I admit that.

I play like you do, dave. Personally I think that's the best fun. You notice a flaw in your opponent and the first time you may fall for it, but then you anticipate and beat it. Then the tables are turned until your opponent figures out how to exploit one of your weaknesses. This can go on forever and that is what I love about this game.

That is probably also why I'll never participate in tournaments. I don't have that kind of foresight if I don't know anything about my opponent.

yeah it is with enough experience with facing any character u will gradually know whats coming not all the time but usually u'll know unless u don't pay attention to what ur opponents doing

For people wondering if their experience is similar to that of others, in general, average reaction times are in the mid to upper 20's (ie. 25-30 frames move animations).

At least, this is the case with Tekken. Once a low hits around 25 frames, most people claim that it's blockable on reaction unless it has some strangely difficult to see animation.

I know in T5:DR, Nina's WTF was 26 frames and after a little practice I could block it on reaction, though it does have a very obvious animation.

For an SC4 example, Lizardman's 1K is 23 frames and his 1A is 28 frames. You'd have a hard time blocking 1K on reaction (though I know some people can), but 1A should be blockable for most people if they get enough Lizzy practice.

Not true. I was playing against lobo at his place and he blocked it quite frequently. He also kept ducking my throws, and when he didn't duck them, he escaped them. Some people have better reflexes than others.

Often times this is done on anticipation, or by quickly "twitch ducking" when people roll up on you quickly. Try running up to him, and delaying a 2k, see if he blocks that. Or just run up and guard, and see if he quickly ducks.

you can only really get this by offline versus play. some moves you should be expected to react to after some experience, others no matter how much exp/reflexes you have you won't be able to block.

stuff like
cervy 1A
sophie 11A
lizard 1AK

you should be blocking those on reflex. I'm still working on cervy's but I'm getting there. lizard 1AK on the other hand is a total joke to block on reflex once you can recognize the startup animation, same for sophie 1AA.

stuff like
throws
mitsu 2kB

these you just have to guess really. unless your reflexes are the best thing since sliced bread anyway

ducking highs on reflex not as big a deal unless you're talking about canned mid, high strings and the like.

Back