Is there a hidden character named ZWAY that I'm not aware of?

DeathWarden

[09] Warrior
Seriously, I wanna know if everyone has this same problem. I understand that most of my friends aren't familiar with German dialect, but damn, I've had it up to here with them constantly mispronouncing his name. I mean sure, at first glance, one who is not familiar with German, may say "Zway". But, if the announcer ingame says "SVAI", then why in the hell do they keep mispronouncing his name? I cannot count how many times I've corrected them, saying "It's Svai".

/Rant

Does anyone else have this problem? It bugs the crap out of me whenever people tend to ignore the correct pronunciation of a word or phrase.

I kept calling him 'Zway' until I heard the announcers correctly pronounce it. It really doesn't bug me too much because I keep forgetting the proper pronunciation and end up calling him 'Zwai' from time to time. However, I could easily see getting angry if people kept pronouncing my name wrong.

Why are you mad about Zwei but not Xiba? Did no one call him Zeba? Sheba reminds me of Queen of the Jungle lol =p

I still call him Zway sometimes for the benefit of my non-german friends unfamiliar with the series.
"So like, there's also this amazing werewolf dude name Svai"
"Wait, what?"
"SVAI..."
"Wtf? How do you spell that? :/"
*after being asked the same question 25 times*
"nvmind... Let's call him Zway, then... -_-"

I call him Zweye :P

I don't like how Zway sounds, it sounds lame and too much like Sway. Might as well just call him "Sway".

Why are you mad about Zwei but not Xiba? Did no one call him Zeba? Sheba reminds me of Queen of the Jungle lol =p
Sheba is the queen of the jungle, why you think he's the monkey staff Queen lolz.

Because it's a very easy German word to pronounce, and I'm not even sure if "Sheba" is the correct pronunciation. I still call him that, since the announcer pronounces his name like that, but who knows.

Speaking of German, doesn't the announcer mispronounce Hilde's name? I always thought it would be pronounced Hild-eh and not Hild-ah.

I always pronounced it as "Zway", as I keep the sound off on my computer 80% of the time (it's just habit, I have no idea why), and never heard it pronounced differently until recently, when I was watching a livestream and I heard someone pronounce it correctly. I try to remember to pronounce it the right way now. I still say "Zeeba" or "Xiba", not "Sheba", as I think Sheba sounds stupid, and I still pronounce "Leixia" as "Leizia" or "Leixia", not "Leisha" for the same reason, and I pronounce "Hilde" as "Hilde", not "Hilda", because it sounds so much better as "Hilde". I think "Hilda" might be the wrong way to pronounce it anyway. I used to pronounce Pyrrah as "Pira". Is Voldo pronounced "Voldo" or "Woldo"? I pronounce it "Voldo".

How would you pronounce Xiao Xiao?

From an English perspective, it's Zao Zao, or Zeeao Zeeao.
From a Mandarin perspective, it's Shiao Shiao.

Thanks for the advice on ZWEI, OP.

By the way, how is there a difference in pronouncing Hilde from Hilda? Most people, with their newscaster American accent, would pronounce them both the same: Hill-duh.

Shoulda done what those other FGers did :

Call characters by their tropes:

Siegfried becomes "knight"
Cerventes becomes "pirate"
Raphael becomes "fencer"
Natsu becomes "ninja"
Mitsurugi becomes "samurai"
Lizardman becomes "dinosaur"

If you have pronounciation issues settle on the following:

Hilde becomes "joan"
Zwei becomes "twilight"
Xiba becomes "monkey king"

Note that I am not advocating this, as this is just for the mentally challenged.

How would you pronounce Xiao Xiao?

From an English perspective, it's Zao Zao, or Zeeao Zeeao.
From a Mandarin perspective, it's Shiao Shiao.

Thanks for the advice on ZWEI, OP.

By the way, how is there a difference in pronouncing Hilde from Hilda? Most people, with their newscaster American accent, would pronounce them both the same: Hill-duh.
It's Hilde, like how Canadian people say "eh", like the last two letters in "hey", like the letter "a"

Back