Ivy Combos & Tech Traps discussion

I found something useless :)

3B only hits high enough for nightmare and astaroth to follow up with 6b8 but you can also use 1b BE. If they press nothing then nothing happens and you just ruined some meter. If they press block they are forced-blocked into 1b BE meaning you can get a free 6b8k or go for a 3B/CE mix-up. If they try something else including GI they get hit and you get 6KB.

3B 1bBE~6KB does more than 3B 6b8 BE and 3B 1b BE~mix-up can potentially do more than 3B 6b8 BE.

This also works on every character is you step left first.

Question.

How the hell do you ever land 22A CH? I want to do the combo for it, but it just looks like a terrible, terrible move.

I mean what situation could 22A be useful for? Whenever I throw it out it'll either get ducked, blocked, or if it does hit, their sidestep is over so it's NH only.

I usually use it from advantage to try and get a CH. If it gets blocked your only at -2 so u can use it to see how your opponent tries to punish it and then counter it the next time. NH you have a lot advantage like 6-8 or something so i would say press on with the offense. The worst is if it gets ducked because you cant do shit but Recover but i haven't had to many ppl duck it and when i have i chalk it up to lucky guess/TC or me being predictable. Its not that bad of a move imo.

I quite like it for guard damage too since some of her other guard damaging tools are fairly linear. Can't complain about being at -2 after they block it either.

22A is a really great attack, and the CH happens more often than you would think. If someone BB's, it will tech step and usually CH the second B. The guard damage is great, the tech step is great, and the -2 is great. It's one of those moves you can throw at when you're at a standstill.

I was experimenting with 22_88B BE to find any good followups out of it (that is, enough to validate spending the meter for that move) and to my surprise, 2G iWS B+K combos *and* tech traps in any direction. However, the timing is very tight, and getting both WS B+K hits on a downed target may require some particular movement in that attack. 76 damage nontech, 87 damage tech trap and puts opponent in FC.

I've also been messing around more with (B) as a substitute for bK when the target is stunned to the floor. It hits just a tad earlier than bK and is much easier to buffer when bK is frame sensitive (does 3[K]->bK seem really finicky against Ukemi to some?), and also grants substantially more meter at the expense of on average 6 points of combo damage. If the target is far away from Ivy it can be possible to sidetech in between the hits and leave you open, so beware about that. 1K RCC (B) is not a safe option 95% of the time because of this, though it works well after 22_88K.

Its crazy that i missed this post, i have been messing around with this move and follow ups to it for a while now. You and and i have had alot of the similar ideas about things to use to follow this up (like [B ] instead of bK since its a little quicker and easier to execute, i figured it would be even harder to tech...not exactly but a decent option for damage and meter). I think with these and several other follow up ups (try 2G wrA) this move does become better especailly as a wiff punisher since it can potentially net you decent damage for fairly simple execution.

Can anyone use WR A+B, A W! iWR A+B, A W! iWR A+B A, Bk?
I'm not fast enough and my timing has always sucked so...

Can anyone use WR A+B, A W! iWR A+B, A W! iWR A+B A, Bk?
I'm not fast enough and my timing has always sucked so...
I'm gonna say no, tried it on Asta in the corner and still couldn't get it.

I did get CH WR A+B, A W!, 2A+B, 6B8 BE W!, 3[A], 8A+B for about 140 dmg.

Last edited:
66 B BE, 1B BE, 1B BE, 6B8
Would it be a complete waste of meter, to extend that combo with another 1B BE, then 6B8 BE?
(Note: Thinking I have the wrong combo. Also might not be enough gauge to extend the combo. But I'm not 100% sure.)

66 B BE, 1B BE, 1B BE, 6B8
Would it be a complete waste of meter, to extend that combo with another 1B BE, then 6B8 BE?
(Note: Thinking I have the wrong combo. Also might not be enough gauge to extend the combo. But I'm not 100% sure.)
Using 1B BE after launch is usually a waste of meter.

Back