Just Guard Poll

I can honestly do Just Guard...

• Total voters

esmebush

[08] Mercenary
Hi All,

Just posting a survey poll around Just Guard, I still have so much trouble with the Just Guard System and I wonder if I am alone!

At risk of sounding like a scrub; I'm going to give you an honest answer.

I stopped trying to just guard online. It's a real shame, but I've been focusing on other aspects of my play thus far in to the game. I've been primarily fighting online (my own fault), and I can't Just Guard reliably at all online; so I've just stopped trying for it in my matches. I've focused a lot more on evading attacks (stepping/crouching/jumping) instead of JG'ing, and when something's coming at me and I really want to block/counter it, I just Guard Impact.

The timing for Just Guarding seems really crazy to me, and on top of that I hate how they have it set up to do it. If it was just any input during a small window of frames I'd be ok with it, but you have to actually tap and release the guard input within a certain window; and perhaps it's just me, but that really fucks with my mind - execution wise.

I think Just Guard'ing is one of the most advanced and beneficial techniques in the game, don't get me wrong. It's awesome they put something like that in, but this early in the game; I'm not going for it. Perhaps months in when my brain is trained to the entire's roster moveset; I'll be able to do it more consistently.

---

As far as the poll goes, I don't really like the options. I'll vote "Sometimes against slower hitting characters", because if I actually went for them, I would get them some of the time. I've practiced in training mode and even went on sprees of hitting them consistently, but the fact is that during a real match when the pressure is on I don't bother trying because it's not worth it. So right now I practically "never" land them, but if I was fighting with the sole purpose of executing them I would have to say "Sometimes".

I picked "sometimes" cause some moves that have predictable windups I can pull it off on about half the time, like Cervantes' dread charge "corkscrews" (which I used to GI every time in IV). The vast majority of my random JI's have been complete accidents though.

In training mode they seem fairly easy to do reliably depending on the strings. The trick is to make the tap very short, and before the hits. Like, 15-20 frames in advance? I find that pretty bad because it makes it harder to JG as a reaction unless it's something obvious like Astaroth's 1A,B.

My personal problem with JGs is that in almost every case where it is usable in a reliable manner, it is very much possible to sidestep or do some other such action instead.
But the flipside is that the tracking in this game is shit, terrible, fucked up and bad. That alone might make it wiser to JG and 3B instead of sidestepping, in order to reduce the probability of hitbox failures.

It can be risked in the same way that people used to GI after a blocked string to catch something, but I don't expect this to be rewarding considering you might receive the follow up straight in the face after successfully catching the first hit.

EDIT: I do believe there's something undeniably positive about JGs... They can intercept unblockable attacks very easily. That alone is the new definition of love.

Yeah, I've tried, and I pretty much never get it. I can consistently do it even on very fast moves in training but the reflexes required for that and actually doing it in a match are completely different, so I never land it. Plus the requirement of letting go of the G within 4 frames totally screws with my play as it goes against every instinct in my body.

That, and it's pretty much always more beneficial to dodge the attack than it is to JG it.

lvl 99(nothing really more do ) and i never done it(execpt in training mode) and i tried so many time lol
i still training with my dear old friend Killik in the legendary soul mode...its soo more fun xD

Unless it's a mid that catches step, it would be superior to just evade and punish from what I can tell.

In the entire time I took to level up to 57, never have I done a single Just Guard.

It's so useless and makes me want to punch Namco in the face for making GI's cost meter.
It took me until player level 90 and 165 matches online before I pulled one off in an online match. I just said to myself "You know what? This Siegfried is free. I'm going to showboat by doing a just guard." And I did it.
It's going to end up like Third Strike. Remember when people thought parries were too difficult to do, and later in the game's life they ended up having to patch them to make them harder? Yeah.

While I can do JG everywhere else (offline that is), I found it unfortunate that I can't do it online unless the lag is at least "alright". I feel like I'm not playing the game in its full potential.

i do JG at will, but need more training.....and online doesnt matter, because theres no lag when you play

I just did my first purposeful one online today against a slow NM move. I can't ever do more than 1 in succession though like they show in the tutorial vid.

No one really seems to be able to do it, it takes all the fun out of the game if only 5% of people playing it can use such an important feature

Back