Language Settings

AM64

[09] Warrior
Obviously, SC4 has two language settings: Japanese and English. Which setting do you use and why? I watch subbed anime, so I certainly have an appreciation for the original Japanese, but personally, I like the English voices better. Call me crazy, but understanding what a character is saying is a big plus for me.

On a similar note, is there a tournament standard for language settings, and if not, should there be one?

I started playing SC2 in Japanese out of fondness for the only language setting in SC1. I didn't just like it in SC1, or form an attachment to it because I already liked the game otherwise. I was product-sellingly impressed with the quality of the voice acting, and as with most anime and foreign movies, I continue to see superior quality in the performances overseen by the full creative body of the project.

As for formalizing a language setting for tournaments: I always find it an amusing surprise when someone's game is still set to English. Audio cues do affect our ability to read moves, so if we were an entirely serious competetive community, we'd standardize a language. The rule would probably be to use whichever language was most natural for the territory in which you were playing, or failing the presence of your native language (i.e. French), then you'd logically go to the original language.

We're the batshit bullshit bansters, though. Logical propriety is the least of our worries, so institution of such a rule could never be accomplished.

japanese because they actually say real sentences and crap in sc which gets really annoying when you hear it over and over again.

i actually interchange the two almost biweekly, i'd say. they both get annoying if you listen to them for too long. right now mine is set on english but i'm about to switch over to japanese again in a few days. it adds a little bit of spice to the game for me, i guess.

i will say that i turn off all of the music in the game though. THAT shit gets on my nerves.

I prefer Japanese in general. The voices actually match the voice acting for the cut scenes. In English, Taki will move her lips for like 5 syllables when all she says is "...yes". Another plus side is that you don't understand the taunts of the annoying online (custom) characters. Vader's Japanese death cry also lasts for at least 5 seconds.

One main reason i dislike japanese voices is because Zasalamel doesn't even sound black. It bugs me because i main him. Vader and Yoda sound weird in japanese too. All the standard character voices in english actually sound pretty good to me but they just say really stupid things. Custom voices are retarded.

On one side, I really like Tira's English voice for some reason.

On the other side Vader and Yoda are pure hilarity in Japanese. Also, the Square Soft rejects don't sound quite as gay in Japanese.

Understanding what they are saying isn't much of an issue (my fighting game Japanese is much better than my conversational Japanese).

Basically, I just kind of alternate depending on my mood. Right now I believe its in English.

I enjoy both voice tracks.

English voice track for it's hilarity in some of the phrase (Cry Scream DISGUSTING!)

Japanese voice track because it sounds cool and I'm an ignorant bastard who doesn't know Japanese and I'm not going to learn it so I can't criticize it.

I started playing SC2 in Japanese out of fondness for the only language setting in SC1. I didn't just like it in SC1, or form an attachment to it because I already liked the game otherwise. I was product-sellingly impressed with the quality of the voice acting, and as with most anime and foreign movies, I continue to see superior quality in the performances overseen by the full creative body of the project.

As for formalizing a language setting for tournaments: I always find it an amusing surprise when someone's game is still set to English. Audio cues do affect our ability to read moves, so if we were an entirely serious competetive community, we'd standardize a language. The rule would probably be to use whichever language was most natural for the territory in which you were playing, or failing the presence of your native language (i.e. French), then you'd logically go to the original language.

We're the batshit bullshit bansters, though. Logical propriety is the least of our worries, so institution of such a rule could never be accomplished.

That is an interesting point about the standardized language that I never thought of before. I always have it just set on english and would probably get screwed up by the japanese audio cues.

English only because Cassie's cadence on one of her win quotes in Japanese is pure pain.

All the standard character voices in english actually sound pretty good to me but they just say really stupid things.

It's really more of a scripting thing. The reason why Sieg and Amy's English voices are great aren't just cuz they're good VAs but because they aren't saying random phrases every other move like Cassy and Mitsu.

Tira is the exception I can live with because she's supposed to be annoying, plus I find her homicidal playfulness cute.

I do think Asta's VA is crap tho, even in Japanese. I wish Asta never learned how to speak.

I don't see what people's affinity for Japanese voices is, to be honest.

If you understand Japanese, that's fine. But people tend to think "Oh, the VAs give it more feeling than the English ones." Okay, but how can you tell if you don't completely understand language in the first place? They might seem to give it more feeling than the English VAs, but for all we know, they could be speaking like the equivalents of robots in Japan.

As far as English VAs sucking, I think some Japanese VAs can be annoying, too, sometimes even more annoying. I really, really, really hate female Japanese VAs, because either most of them sound like 12-year old girls, or most anime or video game characters are voiced by the same, 12-year old sounding VA. And I doubt that one person gets all the VA work.

I think Tira has one of the most lame voice work I've ever heard in my life, but I heard her voice in Japanese, and I would have just as much trouble listening to THAT voice winning matches as I would listening to my friend's Tira beating me every now and then in English.

I use the japanese voices.

When I hear something that has a meaning that I can understand in a game, it just feels unnatural...
The voice is real. The person who said that is real. It has a real meaning. ...All that real crap is attached to the GAME that I'm playing. A 3D thing. A product. All fake.
And I don't like to be reminded that it's a game.

It's like in animated things like Disney. Imagine if they slapped real people on it. WTF? Real people on a ...fake scenery, with ...a fake talking rabbit, with a fake story. All that fake crap, and it was made in a studio somewhere in the states. The real human's animation has been captured, cut and pasted on this unreal background, and he pretends to be talking to the drawn, unreal talking rabbit.

Do you think about all that stuff when you watch Disney? No.
All you see is a talking rabbit and a Tasmania devil that spins like a tornado. Everything's fine, everything's normal.
That's immersion.

I can't understand japanese, the sentences have no meaning for me, it's just a bunch of sounds that the characters make. So it doesn't catch my concentration. It flows like music does. It's part of the world...

It's not a real voice, coming from a real actor, that has been slapped on this mere game.
It's this combattant's real, natural voice.

(I bet that I sound like a biiiig nerd now.)

I use the japanese voices.

When I hear something that has a meaning that I can understand in a game, it just feels unnatural...
The voice is real. The person who said that is real. It has a real meaning. ...All that real crap is attached to the GAME that I'm playing. A 3D thing. A product. All fake.
And I don't like to be reminded that it's a game.

It's like in animated things like Disney. Or in japanese anime. Imagine if they slapped real people on it. WTF? Real people on a ...fake scenery, with ...a fake talking rabbit, with a fake story. All that fake crap, and it was made in a studio somewhere in the states.

...Now do you think about all that stuff when you watch Disney? No.
All you see is a talking rabbit and a Tasmania devil that spins like a tornado. Everything's fine, everything's normal. Everything's believable.
That's immersion.

I can't understand japanese, the sentences have no meaning for me, it's just a bunch of sounds that the characters make. So it doesn't catch my concentration. It flows like music does. It's part of the world...

It's this combattant's real, natural voice.

(I bet that I sound like a biiiig nerd now.)

I also enjoy both the English and Japanese voices. They're both super cheesy, but it fits the overall feel of the game. There are certainly characters who sound better in either Japanese or English, but it's not like one overall set of voices is overwhelmingly better than the other.

English all the way. I prefer Asta and Rock's english voices, and really, whats not to love about an english X vs X game?

That shits so bad its good again.

Japanese, simply so I don't have to understand what custom characters say.

Plus, screaming "Bangooooooooooo" pretty much comes out the same whatever language you're in.

Back