Which stick would you go for?

• MadCatz Tournament Edition Soul Edition fightstick

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Hori Soul Calibur V fightstick

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters

therook

[09] Warrior
Most or less i wanted to Discuss the differences and wanted peoples feedback on the two licensed fightsticks for SCV. anyways without further a due.

MadCatz TE Soul Edition: Aside from the translucent casing and Noir layout for the buttons. the fightstick is a exact copy of the TE-S that was released last year for SSFIV. Though that is kinda lazy, it isnt a bad stick in the slightest. After playing one one of these at the pre-launch party....these are actually alittle lighter then your standard TE... roughly around 8-9 pounds, that and the Noir layout takes sometime to get used to. Overall the design of the stick(IMO) seems overdone, and it doesn't help when you have to try and match your new artwork with the sticks blue and red translucent case.

Pro/Cons
+It has legit Sanwa parts(JLF stick and OBSF 30mm buttons)
+TE quality and warranty(for those who don't mod)
-The 159.99 MSRP is kinda expensive
-Its a TE-S Recolor with a Noir Layout....

Hori Soul Calibur V Fightstick: This fightstick surprised me, it looks really solid. It doesn't try to do too much and keeps it simple. Unlike Hori in the Past who usually use a past design and just throw a new art on top of it and use their Shitty buttons, they stepped up their game and used a new Stick housing. The new design is nice and has alot of cool little features. 360 owners always had the options in having a headphone jack for their fightsticks, but PS3 owners finally get some of that treatment on this stick as it has a headphone and keyboard USB ports. Thats not all...Finally! Hori listen to people and now the Start button is out the damn way...well sort of. The start button lays in its own back that can be concealed by a tab that covers it making it impossible for a accidental button press. The stick uses full Sanwa parts and has a crap ton of turbo setting(who gives a fuck right?) but just for the shits and giggles on the navigation bar, it has access to L3 and R3 buttons which is random.

Pro/Cons
+Its a new Design for a fightstick
+full Sanwa yada yada~
-Though only $10 cheaper then the Madcatz stick, its still rather expensive.

anyways guys tell me what stick you think one should get if they dont already own a stick or just wanted to pick up a SC stick just for the hell of it.

If the Hori is Sanwa aswell, there shouldn't be that much of a difference. I'd personally pick the Hori for the lower price, slightly less embarassing artwork and a brand that hasn't disappointed way too often. I'm sure the Mad Catz is very good, but without any reviews revealing the pcb quality and stuff, I just have more faith in Hori.

well if you want spec. its on their official site. i'll update the first post with that info. but the madcatz is a decent stick, the PCB is the same used in other TE's so most have a idea in how to duo mode those anyways...

You forgot to list the the MCZ stick uses a special layout for Soul Calibur V.

By default, the MCZ has your buttons as:
A B K
G

Which should be familiar to anyone who's played on a Japanese candy cab. For the Hori, you have to set the game to Type-B to get the default arcade layout.

+TE quality and warranty(for those who don't mod)
Little known fact, opening a TE from the top (via 3mm hex key) will not void the warranty. I believe MarkMan has confirmed as much.

EDIT: Also, the PS3 version of the Soul ED uses the updated PCB (official Sony) from the Chun Li TE, not the one from the TE "S".

Little known fact, opening a TE from the top (via 3mm hex key) will not void the warranty. I believe MarkMan has confirmed as much.

EDIT: Also, the PS3 version of the Soul ED uses the updated PCB (official Sony) from the Chun Li TE, not the one from the TE "S".
because your essentially avoiding the locite glue right? also isn't the Chun li TE just a reissued TE-S with some minor tweaks right?

I still like the fact the Hori still has those two USB ports for headset and keyboard. that and its a new and pretty sick design. Its random to see you come all the way from SRK tho D3v.

because your essentially avoiding the locite glue right? also isn't the Chun li TE just a reissued TE-S with some minor tweaks right?

I still like the fact the Hori still has those two USB ports for headset and keyboard. that and its a new and pretty sick design. Its random to see you come all the way from SRK tho D3v.
The warranty stickers are on the bottom panel. Also, the Chun Li has an updated PCB

As for me coming here. Well, the more SRK TT's wisdom gets spread around, the better.

ahh i c, i never seen nor owned the limited chun stick so i wouldnt know, on the outside, it looked like a re-issued TE. and true, but i feel threads like this are a dying breed here ;-; i do like talking about sticks though...

Back