Looking for books to read!

LP

Premium Member
I'm looking for books to read that are good by you guys' standards. I searched on Google but the only things I could find was Hunger Games and a bunch of shit about vampires and/or werewolves. I like mostly sci-fi and fantasy type books (if someone could find a non-cliche book about angels and/or demons or one that just wreaks of imagination, that'd be great).

Also, I'm not really looking for too much non-fiction stuff (I have enough...) or fiction outside of those genres, but, if there's a really good book you know of, don't be afraid to mention something else! Thanks!

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. Short and sweet.

Or my favorite book (for the last few years) House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski.

Dont laugh.......

The only books I gave an honest read to, that Ive ever finished in my life.......

The Harry Potter series.

When my son was a toddler he loved him some Harry Potter (and spiderman) and I took him to go see the 2nd movie and he MADE me read the rest of the books to him. I actually found them interesting and a good read.

check em out homes. Or call me a weirdo, either way.......

PS....look forward to shaking your hand at MLG

The Mistborn trilogy
Good Omens
The Windup Girl (Flawed but interesting.)
Speaks The Nightbird (Kinda a colonial Sherlock Holmes in the making. 4 books in the series right now.)

For HRD:

Wolf's Hour.

Wash that sissymary geek from your brain with raw unmitigated basassery... In werewolf form.

Reactions: HRD
The king must die - its about theseus if i recall.

catch 22 - comedy, not really imagination based (about an assyrian guy escaping the military), but very funny.

catcher in the rye - about some weird kid that wants to be grown up, imagination based but can happen in reality.

Series of Unfortuante Events Series

Percy Jackson series

ummmm,

list from my summer reading project:

Fiction:

• The things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
  • Catch-22 (has a sequel) by Joseph Heller
  • Stranger In a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein
  • The Catcher in the Rye by J.D Salinger
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
  • On the Road by Jack Kerouac
  • The Trial by Franz Kafka
  • Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler
  • The Handmaid's Tale by Margret Atwood
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  • The War of the Worlds by HG Wells
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Non FIction:

• The Tiger by John Valliant
  • Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's by John Elder Robinson
  • Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of an Unwanted Daughter by Adeline Yen
  • In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and in American Family in Hitler's Berlin by Erik Larson
  • Born to Run by Christopher McDougall
  • I know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
  • Into the Wild by John Krakauer
  • Cadillac Desert: The American West and its Disappearing Water by Marc Reisman
  • Friday Night Lights: A Town, A Team, and a dream by H.G. Bissinger
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X by Malcolm X and Alex Haley
  • Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the AMerican West by Dee Brown
  • A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
  • The Jungle by Upton Sinclair ( you will not eat meat again)
I know more books......

http://www.ric.edu/whatsnews/details.php?News_ID=1742

Stoneheart ( never finished it, read like 10 pages then lost it)

City of The Sun (fiction, but can happen in reality. its a thriller/drama/....thingy

The chronicles of narnia

Eragon

ummmm....im thinking

Definitely Catch-22. That's another one of my favorites.

Also try Cloud Atlas. It starts out as a tough read because it makes no sense and drags for a little, but it's supposed to. It gets really good.

Sci-Fi:

The Avery Cates Series- by Jeff Somers
The Joe Ledger Novels-By Johnathan Mayberry (Note some of this crosses over into horror as well)
Ready, Player One by Ernest Cline
This is Not a Game; Deep State; and The Fourth Wall by Walter John Williams
Impact by Douglas Preston
The WorldWar Series by Harry Turtledove (It's more alt history, but aliens add the sci-fi element)

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness.

Possibly the greatest thing I've ever read. Seriously, I cannot recommend this book enough. Patrick Ness is my favorite author now.

I have a long list, a lot of it comprises things already said here.

The Obernewtyn Chronicles, something I read when I was younger. Pretty good.

Right now, I'm reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

Also, my cousin has just released the first part of his science fiction series, Grave of the Wilds by D Athas Holly

Please check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/World-Ends-Gr...GVSU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339058416&sr=8-1

Current novels I'm reading include

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya series, (light novel version not manga, though I own both), there's about 6 or so light novels released so far. If you're into time travellers, 'aliens', espers and weird things, this is for you, at first you may not get what is going on or why things are happening, but as you progress, the pieces will fit together and you'll understand.

http://www.yenpress.com/haruhi-suzumiya-novel/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...uzumiya+novel&sprefix=haruhi+s,stripbooks,207

Spice and Wolf light novel series(by Isuna Hasekura) rest are yet to be released, manga version available too.

Hmm, not much sci-fi but does have hints of fantasy elements, the author provides some context in the setting and events that take place, such as the rise and fall of pagan's/ roman catholic church, dodgy taxes, merchants etc. The Wolf is Holo, she is cute, cunning, and powerful, don't wanna spoil it, but you expect lots of adventure, witty situations and cliffhangers.

http://www.yenpress.com/spice-and-wolf-novel/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...d+wolf+novel&sprefix=spice+and,stripbooks,369

There's also a book called 'The Prophecy' by John Killgallon, havent read it yet, but looks pretty good to sink into.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Prophecy-John-Kilgallon/dp/0749007990

AZ

well call me a hipster, but I loved The Hunger Games and Harry Potter, but then it got too famous D: (They are great books though, I just wish there was less romancin')
I'm a huge fan of murder mysteries, and anything by Agatha Christie is a must-read (And Then There Were None is my favorite by far)
I'm in an advanced reading class, and over the summer we have to read Fahrenheit 451. Its really old, but its about a future where books are outlawed (Ironically) and firemen burn houses that have them. Its actually a pretty interesting read.
(Troll mode: On)
If you love a story about Angels, I'll have to suggest the Holy Bible. Its by these dudes that were actually met by angels. (I'm totally kidding. Maximum Ride is an awesome book series. It's not really angels, but its children grafted with avian DNA since their babyhood and now are like 13 year olds with wings. Its really freaking cool) I have a ton of friends that like The Maze Runner series. And two of my friends love Gregor The Overlander series.

You may have read some of these already, but I'll throw them out.
UBIK by Philip K Dick (my absolute favourite book, like many other books by the author this is science fiction with a nightmarish, paranoid undertone. if you like it i suggest to continue with Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said, or A Scanner Darkly. All his works reeks of cool and unusual ideas)
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson (cyberpunk)
The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson (like Snow Crash but with steampunk elements)
The Secret Books of Paradys by Tanith Lee (dark fantasy)
Night Watch by Lukjanenko (urban fantasy, forces of dark and light battling in Moscow)

I still like the Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan. That'll help kill a lot of time. Also, The Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher was fun to read. As far as the whole Angels and Demons thing I've only found a few novels pertaining to that (and I've looked a LOT) but the one that sticks out in my head the most is God's Demon by Wayne Barlow. You might want to also pick up Dialogue with the Devil which may be a little out of what you're talking about but I found it an interesting read.

Back