Lost Swords

Well I saw the picture on Facebook of Soul Calibur: Lost Swords and on the picture are just Siegfried and Sophitia so she is coming back as her normal self not her dead self that is Elysium who is a female style only mimic and there's got to be more returning legends in this one including Talim. And what about a guest character I was hoping that Syaoran Li from Card Captors is in this so who do you want as a guest character?
I see you've returned

The logic of "take any obscure fighting engine; paste SF mechanics over it = good game" is honestly whats killing the industry just as COD symbolically ruined modern day shooters. It became apparent with SC5 but confirmed with the new Killer Instinct. I'm tired of the clones. I want Soul Calibur.

COD didn't ruin the modern day shooter. People mad that their particular game is nowhere near as popular as COD is.

Do you even know what the meters in Killer Instinct actually do? Fighting games have been borrowing from each other for decades. Plus there were games that had super meter before Street Fighter.

The people who say that they want "Soulcalibur" don't even understand what that even means since the game goes through dramatic change each version, or even know how to play the game without getting fucked up. Saying that SCV just has SF mechanics pasted into it is really a narrow-minded view to look at the game. And if you guys really wanted "Soulcalibur" that badly, then you should have been around playing the previous games before SF mechanics were added.

The changes were made to SCV to bring in new players so that they don't get immediately fucked up by a veteran player and quit, and they've succeeded. But people don't like change and that's understandable. People didn't like the changes to SF3 either, but that game lasted over 10+ years and is still being played.

If you don't like SCV, fine. But people need to stop with these silly arguments when the fact is that there are more people playing SCV now than we had in the past, nobody isn't trying to seriously go back to the older games, and nobody new is seriously playing SC2 because they're going to get fucked up by someone who's been playing the game for the past 10 years.

So which "Soulcalibur" do you want?

COD didn't ruin the modern day shooter. People mad that their particular game is nowhere near as popular as COD is.
The thing with COD though is that it's success is considered an anomaly. Developers still look at the millions of units it's made and try to emulate that by adding multiplayer in games that usually didn't need them (Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, etc.) It's the reason why you hear developers Square Enix thinking they should have 3.4 million units of Tomb Raider sold THE FIRST MONTH and being unsatisfied if a game sells 6 million. It's also why we see a lot of Japanese developers turn to westernize of their series to appeal new players (DmC, NG3, RE5 & 6, etc). Even SCV is guilty of this:

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/21/why-namco-bandai-picked-ezio-for-soulcalibur-v/

Turns out there was more than one reason for them adding Ezio to the game and not just because he fits. Anyone playing this game will also note that it literally feels more western than the last games The characters swear far more often than in any of the previous games, there's a lot of references to Christianity ("Oh God, this can't be my fault." Heaven's net casts wide, through it's course, nothing slips through"), and the majority of the characters/theme/playstyles/weapons/stages were based the West. It existed before, but not to this extent.

well if Westernized games sell more why wouldn't you?

edit:
German and Greek characters making references and talking about God isnt all that far fetched in the 17th century

also Yoshimitsu is just awesome and has OP quotes

Last edited:
That's the mentality they have, but it doesn't have to be that way. It also causes divisions within the fan base. What good becomes of that?
we as gamers don't like to accept this but at the end of the day these game companies are just that companies and they are out to make money and if making more money causes fan base division because of the game becoming westernized so be it

we as gamers don't like to accept this but at the end of the day these game companies are just that companies and they are out to make money and if making more money causes fan base division because of the game becoming westernized so be it
You're right: they are JUST companies. Companies need fans and consumers to survive. and what happens if they lose that support? The opposition against Xbox One's DRM policy proves we don't have to take everything a company gives out. Viewers not watching certain programs and having them get cancelled proves we don't need to be fed garbage the network feds. The problem is how certain people just let them have that power.

^only problem is that people actually like garbage. Think Honeybooboo, Jersey Shore, Workaholics, and Justin Bieber.

Since when does popularity=quality?

Don't even get me started on all the fucking awesome TV shows that got cancelled after 1 season. "Persons unknown" is a crazy good show that was cancelled after 1 season.

Firefly was cancelled too, and then later the finale was an actual "movie" called Serenity.

And popular music? Nuff said.

And what about a guest character I was hoping that Syaoran Li from Card Captors is in this so who do you want as a guest character?
You're on 8WR too?, and again with this CC shtick, seriously, keep your fantasies to yourself, and besides, guest characters are ehh, and I really don't need to bother with this more.

OT: ლ(ಠ益ಠლ), seriously guys, we still posting nonsense that's not Lost Swords, come on already! >_>

The thing with COD though is that it's success is considered an anomaly.

COD's success isn't an anomaly because there's been plenty of successful shooters before it, and there's still successful shooters out there, just that COD is the most successful year after year.As long as you don't release a crap game that's plagued with problems, it will do well.

Developers still look at the millions of units it's made and try to emulate that by adding multiplayer in games that usually didn't need them (Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Tomb Raider, etc.)

The reason why developers tack on multiplayer is to help sell the game, not to emulate what COD is doing. It's alot harder to sell single player only games because they lack in replay value and drop quickly in value at retail. Why buy a game with no replay value at $60 when you can buy it a few weeks later at $40 or less?

It's the reason why you hear developers Square Enix thinking they should have 3.4 million units of Tomb Raider sold THE FIRST MONTH and being unsatisfied if a game sells 6 million. It's also why we see a lot of Japanese developers turn to westernize of their series to appeal new players (DmC, NG3, RE5 & 6, etc). Even SCV is guilty of this:

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/10/21/why-namco-bandai-picked-ezio-for-soulcalibur-v/

Turns out there was more than one reason for them adding Ezio to the game and not just because he fits. Anyone playing this game will also note that it literally feels more western than the last games The characters swear far more often than in any of the previous games, there's a lot of references to Christianity ("Oh God, this can't be my fault." Heaven's net casts wide, through it's course, nothing slips through"), and the majority of the characters/theme/playstyles/weapons/stages were based the West. It existed before, but not to this extent.

Square Enix is just crazy and are just doing whatever to make money.

Other companies westernize their games because they want to make money by appealing to as many people as possible. Consoles aren't as popular in Japan as they are in the west, so if you make a game that doesn't appeal to a broad audience, then it's not going to sell much.

I don't see how SCV feels any more western than any of the previous games. SC4 did more to appeal to the west by adding Star Wars characters and sold much more than SCV did, and SC3 sold just as much on one console and more casual fans enjoy than the other games, so that quote is inaccurate.

You're right: they are JUST companies. Companies need fans and consumers to survive. and what happens if they lose that support? The opposition against Xbox One's DRM policy proves we don't have to take everything a company gives out. Viewers not watching certain programs and having them get cancelled proves we don't need to be fed garbage the network feds. The problem is how certain people just let them have that power.

What are you rallying against? SCV came out two years ago and Lost Swords is already a finished game.

If you don't like the next game, you can vote with your wallet.

Wow, Nightmare actually feels broken in SCLS. GS A/GS B is as stupidly good as every other mid/low mixup in it and the way the AI loves to eat six GS A in a row is...Wow hahaha. And those strings. BA, stupidly fast BB, BKK, DH KB, 2BB...So much fun stuff to play with. I just wish I didn't have to wait through those loading screens ;_;

Oh, and NSS b:A becoming DH A...Feels odd changing from rising (B) ~ NSS b:A to 6(K) ~ DH A, even if the later is much easier. And DH because I'm betting Bamco will finally have the localization team give Nightmare and Siegfried the same stance name they've shared forever in Japanese: Dexter Hold. Oh well, change!

Wow, Nightmare actually feels broken in SCLS. GS A/GS B is as stupidly good as every other mid/low mixup in it and the way the AI loves to eat six GS A in a row is...Wow hahaha. And those strings. BA, stupidly fast BB, BKK, DH KB, 2BB...So much fun stuff to play with. I just wish I didn't have to wait through those loading screens ;_;

Oh, and NSS b:A becoming DH A...Feels odd changing from rising (B) ~ NSS b:A to 6(K) ~ DH A, even if the later is much easier. And DH because I'm betting Bamco will finally have the localization team give Nightmare and Siegfried the same stance name they've shared forever in Japanese: Dexter Hold. Oh well, change!
Nightmare's out already? Are Pyrrha and Asta out yet?

You're on 8WR too?, and again with this CC shtick, seriously, keep your fantasies to yourself, and besides, guest characters are ehh, and I really don't need to bother with this more.

OT: ლ(ಠ益ಠლ), seriously guys, we still posting nonsense that's not Lost Swords, come on already! >_>

Keep my fantasies to my self? But Neo Stray Cat why should I? If Yoda a shorty from Star Wars has been a guest character why can't Syaoran from CC be the guest character? Instead of trying to kill Sakura to get all the Clow Cards for himself he should be better off trying to kill Nightmare and then destroy Soul Edge.

Square Enix is just crazy and are just doing whatever to make money.

Other companies westernize their games because they want to make money by appealing to as many people as possible. Consoles aren't as popular in Japan as they are in the west, so if you make a game that doesn't appeal to a broad audience, then it's not going to sell much.

I don't see how SCV feels any more western than any of the previous games. SC4 did more to appeal to the west by adding Star Wars characters and sold much more than SCV did, and SC3 sold just as much on one console and more casual fans enjoy than the other games, so that quote is inaccurate.

^ AMEN to that! It's nice to see people on boards who understand how the game market actually works! And also all the people who constantly complain about games being more westernized. (I won't point any fingers at Gatsu), lol.

Actually, westernized and Japanese games are becoming much of the same thing nowadays... Maybe if the people complaining like their nostalgic, text based anime video games, or their classic Japanese bullet-hell games which dominate the JP market. I really wouldn't know... Plenty of Japanese RPGs that are popular in the west, and plenty of fighting games sell well in Japan, and play the same / same visuals and character concepts that are successful in the West!

Actually.... you know what, whenever someone says a game became too "westernized", and I ask them how it could be more "japanese", they often have no answer other than wanting the character models to look asian... Lmao.

^only problem is that people actually like garbage.

The definition of what someone likes as "garbage" is a very, very, very opinionated statement.... I can say Miley Cyrus's music is bad and the lyrics are stupid, yet then her songs get like 8.7 million iTune downloads, what do I know, right?

Like Malice said, let your wallet speak, or in this case, Lost Swords is technically free so you at least get to play the demo, lol! xD

Back