[MATCH-UP] Astaroth

kPc

[09] Warrior
Big and powerful but not a hopeless battle...

Asta's moves/ Sieg's punish
6AA- 2 highs that are safe but they second high comes out slow. duck and punish
6B- safe, very steppable to the left
A,B- the B is 6B and you can step left in the middle of the string
6K- you will find asta's abusing this against sieg since he can only punish with K and it is not easily steppable, not to mention it TCs.
66K- very steppable in either direction but I like to choose to step left. step and 1B or if you have meter 22_88 BB4 SCH K BE. The BE version of this move can be stepped left but it leaves a small window. To be truthful because of how slow the move is, I personally would risk JG the second move since it seems easy enough and grants you a 1B for a possible RO, but thats me. both moves are safe. one more note, if he is hit during the BE version, he gains armor and punishes you for hitting him.
4A- Fast high horizontal thats safe, knocks you off axis (watch for the throw follow up), and can Guard crush.
66AB- asta's should know the risks of using this move, the second hit is very steppable in either direction so you might just see them throw out the first move in which case we get a 3B. Just watch out for them to be alternating between the two.
3KA- ok he has 2 versions here, if he taps A, its a high, if he holds A, its a slower version thats mid. Since sieg has a permanent aGI, just SBH and wait for the outcome, if its parried, SBH B, if not SBH K.
1AA/1AB- now this string is a gamble for both parties and here is why. If he does the first string, you can 8B the second hit. if you block it then more than likely you will be out of range for anything. If he does the second string, the second hit will crush 8B but you can WS B in between.
personally I think its a gamble in sieg's favor cuz if we guess right and get the CH WS B....ouch
44A- SBH and stay there until the parry if they do the GB version. if you block the regular version its safe. if they do just 1A, its a WS B
44B- alright this move.....this move is so steppable that it takes a tap in either direction to step it. Now if you step I, I highly recommend you 1B for the following reason. if you step left, 3B whiffs, step right and it hits. step in either direction, 1B hits. Now another note, asta's should know about this move and more often than not I will see them cancel this move into a throw or something that tracks, dont punish until you see the whiff.
4KK (stomp stomp)- first one is safe, second is WS K. this move can delayed like crazy....like 4K....scratch your ass...K. dont get hasty
3A- mid, tracks left, highly steppable right, safe, looks like it guarantees a low throw attempt on counter. if you step right you are behind him
A+B (giant swing)- if you are in range you get a 3B on block but I recommend going for a SBH
22_88 AA- one reason you dont want to be in close on asta, 2 mid horizontals, NC, and safe
22_88 B- we all know this move and it is highly steppable in either direction but I recommend stepping right since you will end up right behind him. The BE version however tracks better....alot better. It can still be stepped but takes some skill to do. Both are safe
B+K (the "get over here" AT)- its safe but its a high
66B- still a high and you get a K on block
1KA- if they do just the K, its a WS B SCH B, if they try to finish the string, you can still interrupt with WS B SCH B
2K+B- WS B SCH B
2K- WS K
44K (single stomp)- safe but very steppable, you will end up behind them
FC 3K (bullrush)- safe, tracks to the left, steppable to the right
3A+B- 6A, can be B+K'd
214 A- K, if they choose to repeatedly hit A afterward and you havent blocked any of them yet, Enter SBH and wait and either parry SBH B or if they run away with the move SBH A. the multiple hit version is NC and gets a 6A on block.

Analysis- ok most of us have been scared of asta atleast one point in our life and we all know why. Good range , amazing throws, stupid damage. But he has the same exact weakness at natsu. ANKLES!!!!. At mid range asta cannot punish 2A or 22_88kA:2A. He can however got for a low throw attempt on a blocked 2A but not 22_88kA:2A. His punishment all together outside of throw attempts is pretty bad. I will be using alot of 3A, 22_88A, 2A, etc. My strategy? Poke, ankles, keep him at mid range, and start looking for the duck. 6K goes really well in this match up to avoid throws and his highs. It is also beneficial to know that asta cannot punish 4B.

2 notes to add:

WR B is an NC and can be used to realign yourself and catch asta out of step.

Asta 66K BE now goes through a ridiculous number of moves. It will pass right through 3B, same as 1B. I know those are two moves I found it pass through that were strange. It will not however pass through 1K, or Sieg's 66K BE (I'm not sure if the armour doesn't activate on body attacks or it gets defeated by lows, worth some testing). But this move is ridiculous because if they successfully go through your attack they can get Asta 66kBE, G turn, 214 A for 100+ damage.

It doesnt go through lows. Like 2a
And 2 hit strings (depends on frame advantage)like 3kk/bb/sch k be
It beats everything after 3b except sch k be

I'm under the impression that JGing the second hit of Asta 66kBE does not net you a 1B. I tried it a couple of times in some casuals today; when I get home I will test in training to confirm. The good news is you do get a 3B.

You are correct, I must have forgotten to set him to block after that move. Yes its a 3B. You can also quick step left but have to keep stepping until the move had whiffed since he can still hit you at his sides

Back