Maxi General Q&A

Hey guys figured I'd start one of these mostly for my own purposes, and any others who have a problem with this matchup. I have had a running problem mostly with my best friend who mains Kilik and who I spent somewhat around 5 years of agonizing matches both in SC1 and SC2 of the old Maxi vs Kilik.

I've recently just got back into SC like many after a HUGE hiatus from the SC games since SC2 and also from 3D fighters in general since that game as well. Me and my friends would spend the vast majority of our "social sessions" planted in front of the Dreamcast and or Gamecube grinding away for hours on end with our characters like zombies (like WoW status), and I have never played any fighting game as much as those original 2 SC titles. Through this entire half decade of my days of playing SC I have never bothered to ever focus on any character in the game other than Maxi.

Maxi has always been my boy and picking him up in this game and after so long right away I remembered his strings, what links with what, what follows what and the properties of most of his attacks. The long rivalry of me and my best friend and our now called "Old School Epic Match" of Maxi vs Kilik has always been my absolute most played matchup. In SCV he's been getting me good with Xiba after him stating CONSTANTLY what I'm sure many staff players are saying; "THIS IS NO KILIK I HATE THIS STUPID CHARACTER!" I on the other hand am still having problems with the guy in the early goings of reanimating myself back into the Maxi I know I truly am, and for the most part I feel he's as in tact as I remember him outside of technical things that will take me a bit to pick up and understand since I've never played SC3 or SC4......................ever.

Help me body my best friend guys, and help me with whatever tools I need to know about Maxi in 2012 and SCV that will help me get over the edge mainly against his Xiba, but overall in general. Thanks guys I'm new to the forums, just signed up and some of you might know me from the streams some of you may not, but its all good. Hoping this site has the goods! Thanks for taking the time guys.

EAD & D

We'll get to a full character vs guide soon enough. We're not qualified to give you advice just yet, as we're still learning the game mechanics and how Maxi is played. We'll make a new vs every character thread, and we will close this one, so as to avoid congestion. Stay tuned and welcome to the Maxi forums. IN the meanwhile, post in the questions and answers thread for general tips :)

Going against alpha Patroklos is pretty scary. That guy can punish a lot of stuff I didn't know could be punished, and he's TCing 80% of the match it seems. I've just started using Nightmare against him (3AA keeps people away and keeps them from TCing. The move wins.)

Not being able to hit confirm moves like 22_88A for your LI follow up is a frustration of mine. Seems difficult to hit confirm anything with maxi. Really only thing you can delay or play around with is delaying RC A B and mixing up your string options.

even iWS/FC moves proves difficult. As in its not like it was in SC4. Maybe its for the better, I dont know yet. But trying to pull out an instant FC 3AAA or iWS B to punish ducked highs proves to be out of the norm for me. Anyone else have trouble with this stuff?

The buffering system just works totally different in this game. With the buffering system changed and the iWS moves being weird, I was dwindled down to pretty much a "flow chart" maxi last night in my offline sessions. I need to study this new buffering system and find out whats hit confirmable and whats not.

and yeah....where is Marginal??

Hmm i've been getting iWS moves easily. What's your method? Also try cancelling an attack before hand eg. k[G][2] -> WS attack

In sc4 i could easiey get iws moves by just 2[g] FC/WS from nuetral. Maybe im doing it to slow or something but the timing is weird due to the buffering system being different.

Today me and my son are gonna hit the lab pretty hard and play around with this and a bunch of other stuff

Alpha Patroklos IS pretty scary, 2A links into super meaning when she has a bar you're taking a chance every time you do 1B RO A since she can 2A under that into super for great damage. When you notice players doing that is when it's time to bust out the RO K's.

We'll get to a full character vs guide soon enough. We're not qualified to give you advice just yet, as we're still learning the game mechanics and how Maxi is played. We'll make a new vs every character thread, and we will close this one, so as to avoid congestion. Stay tuned and welcome to the Maxi forums. IN the meanwhile, post in the questions and answers thread for general tips :)

Oh ok sorry then I'll just be looking forward to it then thanks!

Hey guys, i made an account to ask about Maxi. I started SC with 2&3 but SC5 is the first in the series im playing while aware of frames, techtraps, tracking etc (Learned mostly in Tekken) so i decided to join 8wayrun and rise from the scrub level.

I picked up Maxi/Mitsurugi and while Mitsu is quite simple, playing Maxi is really hard so im about asking for some help here concerning basic Maxi moves i should be using. Im liking 6A+B and the BE version but otherwise im doing random stuff without knowing much about setups or framedata.

I also gotta say i love the ignorant hate Maxi gets from casual players, reminds me of Eddy or Hwoarang in Tekken.

Welcome Qeru, we're still in the beginnings so we're all 'scrubs' I guess. It's a different beast this game, the game plays way more differently than any other other SCs I've ever experienced. Start with the basics.
6A+B is his best move. That much I can tell you :)

Anyone knows what's the bonus % increase in damage on clean hits and counterhits? Maxi has a lot of clean hits
Here's the list and their normal damage

6B = 42 dmg (good post GI)
6A+B and RC AB = 35 dmg and 25 dmg respectively (excluding the RC A)
2KB = 16 fmg
B+KBBBBA = 66 dmg (great post GI)
WS B = 46 dmg (I love it post GI iWS style)
LO BK = 54 dmg
LI A = 35 dmg
WL aka Neutral Riptide (autoGI) = 26 dmg
CE = 79 dmg (the last hit I think, hard to test, but it does 52 standalone)

I figured out how I was doing iWS.
[G]~[2] release G~release 2 -> WS really fast
Best way I can explain it. Video soon.

I'm trying to give this game and this version of Maxi a fair shake but so far this is my least favorite version of Maxi and Soul Calibur.

Back