[Melbourne, Australia] Home of Soul Melb and Endnow's Failures.

Good one, Runis, good one. You've got great friends.

Well thinking about it, it could be our inaugural nanar (that's the technical term for that kind of masterpiece).

transmorphers_large.jpg

or we could pick about any production from the Asylum.

Papy, one wonders if it's not horribly bad on PURPOSE. I swear the only good thing about the movie was how horribly bad it was. Weak plot, weak dialog, weak acting. Well, maybe the fact taht the whole society revolved around lesbian would have been alright if it wasn't for the fact that they actually looked like men.

if you grew up watching transformers then you dont need a plot for the movie, we all know whats going on, what we all wanted to see was some badass transformer fighting action, and its what we got. it was absolutely fucking fantastic. i feel sorry for those who cant appreciate it for its awsomeness.

dark night was a bad movie, pretty much half my friends fell asleep in it. it just didnt have that wow factor that it needed, if it wasnt for the joker the movie would of put me to sleep also. with how awsome the joker was it became an average movie. it just didnt wow or excite me.

everyone needs to watch 'Battle Royal" its seriously a bad ass awsome sick movie, and it gets both thumbs up from me. trust me the japanese subtitles dont bother you, the movie is pure awsomeness. its what condemed should of been, now if you thought that was a good movie (i did) then you will think this is a fucking awsome movie. randomly selected grade nine class put on an island and told to kill each other, whats not to like?

Ljkabookie: Finally... someone understands what Transformers is all about. It's all about Prime and how many decepticons he can kill. Stuff the plot. Who actually went into the movie expecting a plot?

Also... Battle Royale was a solid movie. However the sequel wasn't as good, although it was an interesting movie in its own right.

In terms of other random movies... watch Machine Girl. LOL. I laughed so hard at that movie. It's basically Japanese Grindhouse. I mean for crying out loud, the main character gets a machine gun/chainsaw for an arm after her arm gets cut off and one of the characters even has a drill bra. That's right... a drill bra. You just kind of have to see it to understand. LOL. Oh yeah... and there are ninjas and parents dressed as gridiron players seeking bloody vengeance.

if you grew up watching transformers then you dont need a plot for the movie, we all know whats going on, what we all wanted to see was some badass transformer fighting action, and its what we got. it was absolutely fucking fantastic. i feel sorry for those who cant appreciate it for its awsomeness.

dark night was a bad movie, pretty much half my friends fell asleep in it. it just didnt have that wow factor that it needed, if it wasnt for the joker the movie would of put me to sleep also. with how awsome the joker was it became an average movie. it just didnt wow or excite me.

everyone needs to watch 'Battle Royal" its seriously a bad ass awsome sick movie, and it gets both thumbs up from me. trust me the japanese subtitles dont bother you, the movie is pure awsomeness. its what condemed should of been, now if you thought that was a good movie (i did) then you will think this is a fucking awsome movie. randomly selected grade nine class put on an island and told to kill each other, whats not to like?

I don't think we were watching the same movie LJ. As a life long transformers and beast wars fan (had all the toys, even the japanese ones), i was offended, nay mentally raped by that movie. It was like a little bit of my childhood died on that day. I cant be stuffed if it didnt have a plot but the damn movie was longer than the first lord of the rings! IT HAD MORE THAN ENOUGH RUNNING TIME FOR A PLOT!
Instead we have to watch a whinny ass shia labeouf( or w/e his name is) attempt to act in one of the worst love subplots ever with the barbie doll also known as Megan Fox (her hawtness was the only saving grace of that movie). Instead of developing the characters of the transformers, they focus on his college life....WHO GIVES A SHIT ABOUT HIS COLLEGE LIFE?! The action was so loud and unfocused it was hard to tell what the heck was going on, every 5 seconds there would be a pointless explosion or some dude randomly firing a gun into the distance at an imaginery enemy. The Dark Knight's action scenes on the other hand created tension and everything made sense. Not only that, there were so many "WOW! Thats awesome" moments, while there were so many scenes in TF2 where i just sat there in disbelief.
Then we have so many damn pointless and utterly unfunny supporting characters (whinny college kid and that insanely retarded special agent) and 12 testicle and/or crude sex jokes. Then we have the "nigga"bots as Cyraxis puts it, skids and mudflaps , who were so damn utterly offensive and obviously so ("You know we don't read." God save the person who came up with that line). Why Michael Bay still allowed them to be in the movie as offensive they were, is beyond comprehension. To top it off, they had the most screentime and lines out of ANY of the Autobots besides Prime. I mean Rachet and Ironhide barely got a line between them and Arcee, sideswipe and jolt had THREE lines between them, THREE!
Then we get to the deceptacons who were utter pussies. Who needs Autobots when you have the U.S. Army! Yeah the autobots should just chill back at base cause the deceptacons can get as easily killed by the U.S. army as futuristic autobot weapons. And Megatron whos meant to be an equal or match to prime gets basically owned by him and the fallen shows up with MAD GRAVITY POWERS, and dies in like 30 seconds.
It is argueably the second worst big budget movie i have ever seen, coming a very close second to battlefield earth. I could write an even longer rant about it here but thankfully i don't remember every single detail which i hated about that movie. Man it was terrible.

WTF I replied to your post ages ago LJ! Eeh il just have to reply again!

Ian is much more Passunate on the subject of bad movies than me tbh. He HATES and i just dislike or dont have time for them. I was just talking to Papy in some Melbourne bar (we had better luck tonight than i did with you LJ) and he claims that to apreciate a good movie you must first see bad movies to understand what directors must go through. So with this in mind Ian maybe there is a small place for Micheal Bay in this world? smaller than 75 million bt he isnt the 1st prick who didnt deserve the money thats given to him.

LJ: allow me to rebut!
I grew on up transformers too man! I have beast wars and transformers toys in a cubbard somewhere mostly broken and i still think the 1st TF movie is a peice of shit (havent seen the second). Sure the action was good but the dialog was all shitty puns and jokes than a 8 year old wouldnt even laugh at. And yes to this you may say "Cmon bro its based on 80s toys who needs a plot its all about action and robots killing stuff" and i could accept that, IF most of the movie wasnt just said shitty dilog with occasional scenes of robots destroying eachother. And with reguards to the shitty dialog... why does it have to be shitty? Why do the characters have to be exadurated?? The movie has a big enough buget to afford a decent script writer so i say FUCK YOU micheal bay! Its possible to cator to both the Sophisticated audiences needs and the action loving audiences needs and this was proven in district 9, the matrix, LA confidential ect. Why not demand more for your money?

With reguards to the Dark knight. I felt that this movie wasnt so much a super hero movie like all other Marvel/DC franchise flicks and more a good gangster movie that happend to star batman. The pacing was tight, the dialog was good and engaging the action was.... Meeeh at best which maybe why you guys fell asleep. That said the truck doing a full flip was epic. With reguards to acting if you wanna compare Shy Laboff and Megan fox to Morgan Freeman, Micheal Caine, Heath Leadger, Keith *something and Bale then ima have to ask you to step outside sir. Its a matter of opinion but in 2.5 hours I wasnt once bored in the dark knight and I think we were watching a different movie.

LOL Battle Royal. Not much to say about this movie exept its a fun little Japanese flick that feels like a Soap Opera with death as a key theme... Not a movie great by any means but it was funny enough for me. May as wel watch Versus while your at it hey? This is all getting off topic tho. Theres a thread i started called 'top 5 movies' and we can talk about this there hey?

Pans Labyrinth
Pulp fiction
blade
once were warriors
SE7EN

Like any of those less than TF? well with the exeption of blade this makes me think you have no taste.... A good bloke who I will go out with again who has no taste in movies

I watched that movie for the first time when I was exactly in grade nine. One of my friends decided it was a great idea to bring that movie for a presentation in an IT class and the whole class ended up watching it together. Needless to say the topic of conversation for the next few days turns to who would you kill first if the class had ended up in the same situation in the movie.

I miss those days.

On the subject of Japanese gorefest though, I recommend "Suicide Club".

I watched that movie for the first time when I was exactly in grade nine. One of my friends decided it was a great idea to bring that movie for a presentation in an IT class and the whole class ended up watching it together. Needless to say the topic of conversation for the next few days turns to who would you kill first if the class had ended up in the same situation in the movie.

I miss those days.

On the subject of Japanese gorefest though, I recommend "Suicide Club".

I watched Suicide club on youtube. Great movie lol. Very very VERY violent.

On the topic of Oriental movies I saw this Korean movie oldboy that was ok but Insanely violent and fucked up.

Just watched the 1st 10 mins of suicide club... Ian how does this turn into a great movie?

On the topic of Oriental movies I saw this Korean movie oldboy that was ok but Insanely violent and fucked up.

Just watched the 1st 10 mins of suicide club... Ian how does this turn into a great movie?

It was pretty messed up but when i watched it, i enjoyed it lol. 3.5 stars.

Im watching battle royale again as we speak. Man this is a disturbing movie.

Endnow: I have to say that Blade looks way out of place on your list and while those films would not be my top five and that may well be a matter of personal taste, all of the others except for Blade are at least quite good. I would also like to point out the general futility about arguing which movies are better than others - certainly we can argue about technical issues - but for the most part what movies a person likes are determined by personal preferences.

With regards to big budget films in general, I think you may be confusing the aims of some of the major studios. I would contend that rather than trying to produce great films, and here I mean great in an artistic sense, they are trying to produce films that sell. A studio that churns out great film after great film, which don't sell is, regardless of critical acclaim, still a dead studio. That said, it is possible to turn out great films that sell, but this is difficult. It is far easier to turn out films that aren't particularly great from an artistic standpoint that still sell well. Is it a coincidence, I wonder, that two of highest grossing films of all time - unadjusted for inflation - are Titanic and Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and that both of these have won eleven Academy Awards. LotR:RotK's eleven Oscars are particularly striking because it won everything for which it was nominated and it was able to reach eleven without winning best actor/actress or best supporting actor/actress.

On another note, I'm curious as to whether or not you've seen Coraline? I went a saw it a few weeks ago and I felt that it was quite good. You can definitely tell who directed it and who was involved in writing it. I ask because it contains many of the same elements that made Pan's Labyrinth enjoyable, even though it is couched in a very different visual style.

Engared: Regardless of how bad you think Transformers 2 was, no film deserves to be compared to Battlefield Earth. At least Transformers 2 was honest about it's intentions in that it was designed to help sell more toys. Battlefield Earth had a far more insidious goal, namely to inveigle Scientology into popular culture to an even greater extent than is already the case. Stacked side by side, I find the idea of a film with many issues regarding dialogue and plotting that flogs toys to unsuspecting consumers to be far less malevolent than one that tries to flog Scientology.

With respect to Battle Royale, I prefer the film over the manga, if only because the manga drags things out in a manner that I feel actually weakens the psychological tension inherent to the plot's success. There are also some things that just work better in film. For instance, the film's depiction of people's reactions to the weapons they receive is hilarious. I still can't believe how unfair it is that some people get weapons that, you know, might actually be useful and other people get things that could only be considered weapons under the most optimistic of circumstances.

/End wall of text and general artistic pretentiousness ^_^

If we're going into japanese movies - Moumantai 2.
It's not exactly blood fest.
It's not exactly plot driven.
But it's fucking funny as hell. First scene is a John wu'esque 1 man vs many gunfight that devolves into a mans love for a pidgeon. Said pidgeon wasn't even alive.
Then you have the dragon ball style kamehameha attack, which the main character can't do, because every time he tries to do it, he ends up farting out all his built up Ki.

LG im well aware movies are only there to make money and im only giving my opinion on said movies and why I think they are trash/good. Personally I think it should be every directors mindset to make the best movie they possibly can but im not naive and i know thats not how the world works but dont expect me not to bitch about it. I view all movies i watch from a critical standpoint... wheather im a good critic or nots another thing but i like t think i have my own unique standards and not every movie is gonna live up to them.

Im well aware that from a detached critical standpoint blade looks very out of place on my list but i like the movie because as LJ says about transformers 2 i got exactly what i wanted out of it. To me it was the perfect vampire action flick and it came before the matrix. It was funny without being satirical and it was dark without being depressing and the action senes were just "wow". Followed by one good sequal and one batman and Robin :). You could argue that what im saying about Blade is exactly the same as what LJ is saying about TF2 and you would be ight just like him its my opinion and im not expecting everyone to agree with me. I dont think anyone is less of a person than me or even less intelligent if they dont like the same movies as me god no. How you enjoy your 2 hours of screen time is your buisness.

This may be going off on a tangent a bit (TV not film) but one of the most sucsessful channels in America is HBO and that channel is a fkn goldmine for good shows! OZ, Deadwood, Sopranos, the Wire and the entourage are all favorite shows of mine and all come from the same channel and 4/5 of these shows require you as the viewer to pay attention the whole time while watching them otherwise the shws leave you in the dust. HBOs shows dont underestimate their qudience they assume your intelligent enough to follow whats going on and IMO this is in contrast to the 2 most high grossing movies of all time that you names. As much as i did cry as a 10 year old watching titanic and LOTOR:rotk was epic their not the most complex movies out there.

Great session guys. Please sign up on these forums if you have not already and post in here :P. Good tournament. Thanks for everyone who came. 14 players at a casuals. Wow nice! :)

Does that mean you're going to BAM, Davo? Heh. If so, that means my attempts at coercion must have been successful.

If you are going, you better win. No pressure. LOL. But seriously, my schedule makes it increasingly unlikely that I'll be able to make it down for BAM. I will, however, try to make it to more offline sessions so that we can get you trained up for BAM. I couldn't make it this week because I had a friend who managed to inflict a fairly serious injury on his arm so I wanted to drop by and see how he was doing. That and pick on him when he wasn't capable of fighting back. LOL. J/K.

Does that mean you're going to BAM, Davo? Heh. If so, that means my attempts at coercion must have been successful.

If you are going, you better win. No pressure. LOL. But seriously, my schedule makes it increasingly unlikely that I'll be able to make it down for BAM. I will, however, try to make it to more offline sessions so that we can get you trained up for BAM. I couldn't make it this week because I had a friend who managed to inflict a fairly serious injury on his arm so I wanted to drop by and see how he was doing. That and pick on him when he wasn't capable of fighting back. LOL. J/K.

Hope you can still make it LG.

Any idea on who else is coming? Bailey? Matt? Luco? If you are coming or thinking of coming, could i get some percentages on the likelihood of you guys showing up so i can get a rough estimate of numbers?

Is there anyway i can get in contact with Charlie, Dion etc as well? Im in contact with Chris and he said he is likely to make it. But is there anyone else from sydney who may be interested? If so please send them my way or direct them to the BAM site for me.
@Matt do you still have your Xbox contacts etc? Who else did you contact and what other channels did you use when organising OHN? Should i post up on Ozhadou about the SC4 tournament or will that be a waste of time. Thanks.

Damn you guys watch some random films:

Transformers 2: Reading the following article before watching the film made me enjoy it immensly: http://www.toplessrobot.com/2009/06/bonus_robs_transformers_2_faqs.php?page=1

Dark Knight: Finally someone understands my feelings on it. Largely average outside of the Joker. Begins was a much better film overall.

Battle Royal: Very awesome film, will become a classic. How dare you compare this to trash like Versus lol!

Machine Girl: Very WTFFFF film. The fight at the end is ridiculous, the bit with the drill. o.O

Engared: Sorry I didn't see the medal thing and I forgot to respond. Honestly I wouldn't worry about medals, we'll sort it out next year. Don't you dare pay for them yourself. :p

Back