Mina vs Raph.

Status
Not open for further replies.

arstal

[09] Warrior
Does anyone have any advice for this matchup? I got absolutely raped by a better player at a tourney, but felt I could beat everyone else, so I need to learn this matchup quickly.

236B is a big problem for her. Because she can't punish it and she doesn't really have much to deal with it. You're not much good up close and 236B allows him to close on Mina really quickly. What you want to try to do is stay out of range of his BB and try to step his 236B. If you DO block it though, quickly mix up between FC1B/FC1KK/WSB/6BB while you have initiative. I need to play this matchup more to figure it out.

It's a long range mid lunge that forces crouch and has pretty good guard break properties. It's about -12 on block. If you're not careful you are going to find yourself CF'd. It's especially problematic because it's fast enough that he can just 236B many of your slower low pokes on reaction.

I always try and play a good step game no matter who I use, but I definitely agree w/ ShenYu. If Raph comes in close (which he's sure to do) use the close-range WS mix-ups ShenYu mentioned. However, another move to consider is A+B because it pushes on block and knd on hit, so it's for after you stand up and establish a position where you are not constantly blocking.

I have a bro who plays Raph constantly, and how I win this match-up is range and side-stepping, always trying to punish with 33_99B~66B~FC1B, or a different combo off of 33_99B.

I agree totally with the above post, stepping and maintaining a certain range at least enables you to punish some of Raphs mistakes.

I'm glad I found this post, my brother plays Raphael a lot, and it made me really loathe the nerfing Seong got in this installment. But yesterday I got something like an in-game epiphany, and I suddenly started to use more moves in different situations. I also started to impact and throw cancel a LOT more. That convinced me that even if Mi-na can be in serious disadvantages, it only makes her and her player shine more when she finally gets the win.

sorry for using this as a presentation, but I'm glad to be part of the Mi-na forum.

This match is a RIDICULOUS matchup, and could be the HARDEST matchup in the game.

His 6BB is VERY troublesome for Mina, as she doesn't have great TCs and it's fast. Her vertical autoGI does not working against high thrusting verts. He outspaces her and punishes her for everything.

It can be very frustrating when you can't even move Mina without getting some kind of thrust from Raphael. =(

But it certainly makes it all the more rewarding when you grab the win. Not that it happens to me very often. xD

I avoid using her autoGI, but instead manually GI a lot of his attacks. When you're used to fighting him a lot, at least you can see some of his attacks coming.

I've never had too much trouble with Raph, but I tend to play against him the same way with each of my characters. Just step properly and try not to fall for obvious shit. Though Kyper doesn't use 236B offline, which is good. That move is absurd online.

I'm not trying to start a flame war or argument here, but you really think that Raphael is that ridiculous a match for Mi-na? Worse than Hilde? Seriously?

Yup even worse than that. I have my reasons though but too much to explain. It doesn't really matter though, point is Mina needs some help here quick.

uh dully.....umm if i wanted to keep 'guessing' (cuz i'm not a Jedi) that a high coming and do 2G, i wouldn't have needed a TC now would I :p

1A TCs well, but deathly unsafe.

I'm just sayin... you gotta use a bit of yomi with Mi-na anyway (I'm not saying you don't have to with other characters, lol). Don't just twitch duck like a moron, play defensive, look at what your opponent does, then capitalize on their tendencies. It's much easier said then done, but then again... This is Mi-na we're talking about, lol.

Even though I haven't played against Raph in a while, when LAU explained to me why he thinks it's probably her worst matchup, I'm inclined to agree.

Even though I haven't played against Raph in a while, when LAU explained to me why he thinks it's probably her worst matchup, I'm inclined to agree.

cum on spill the beans :)

Either Mina's weaker than I thought, or i'm doing something very wrong with raph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back