Mortal Kombat (2011)

I'm going to get this game- it can't be worse then Marvel (yeah, I can be a hater too ^_^)

That said, I am also getting AH3- I figure between the two of them, at least one will be good. If only we could combine the two somehow- and then put Mami from Madoka Magica in as a guest character- I'd be happy then.

I'm just concerned that the balancing/tweaking won't happen- if it does, this should be at least a good game.

1: LOL i know who CHECK is.
2: It's sad that you assume i would be comparing the game to SF/BB/GG, all of which but one i consider trash.
With all honesty, i really hope i never have to touch this game in any variation again.

I played the demo...It feels clunky. It could be the fact I've been playing MvC3 and the last time I played MK was MK3Ultimate before I knew what combos even were...but the controls and movement just feel weird. A block button in a 2D fighter just feels wrong and I know it's a staple of MK...but why? Cross ups are completely pointless. I'm not sure this game will have much competitive value. I see a lot of normals being useless outside of combos as well. Seems it will likely be a giant slow poke match into big juggles.

It feels like they haven't really grasped modern approaches to fighters, commands and strings seem randomly assigned versus convenience. Really every special should just be a QFC or QBC, it's pointless to vary it with double taps and other motions considering how small the movelist is and having no alternate strengths of attacks to occupy other buttons. Not to say it's hard by ANY means...it's just not logical. The game coud've easily been mapped to 4 buttons for fighting and 2 for stance shift and tag. Throw could be a simple simultaneous press and block is just weird to have button mapped.They probably could've condensed the movelist even more by making only a punch and a kick button and making a lot of command variations...cuz really the movelist is small enough to warrant that.

Combo system feels limited as your normals are dictated mostly by strings, you can't really form your own combos because there's no canceling outside of specials. Yomi in this feels very weak. Their is some element of it, but nothing like other fighters. Here it's know your frames, respond with a safe poke and hope it can't be beat by crouching or jumping attack. You can do a throw if you read block...that's about it. No special properties to moves or fancy set ups. Only real element to keep it interesting is a combo breaker system.

Still feels like the game's fun spawns from the aesthetic novelty. I never really felt like I was accomplishing anything significant with any attack or strategy. It was more about blocking and attacking at the right time with a very weak zoning element to tie it together. I'll have to see more, but right now this is no longer a day 1 buy for me until I maybe get some insight on elements I'm not seeing.

*sigh*

i'll be getting it on day 1 just like i do all fighters. the only gratification i intend on getting out of it though are impressing my drunken scrub friends with fatalities, which, sadly will most likely be more entertaining for us than any of the capcom games.

I played the demo...It feels clunky. It could be the fact I've been playing MvC3 and the last time I played MK was MK3Ultimate before I knew what combos even were...but the controls and movement just feel weird. A block button in a 2D fighter just feels wrong and I know it's a staple of MK...but why? Cross ups are completely pointless. I'm not sure this game will have much competitive value. I see a lot of normals being useless outside of combos as well. Seems it will likely be a giant slow poke match into big juggles.

It feels like they haven't really grasped modern approaches to fighters, commands and strings seem randomly assigned versus convenience. Really every special should just be a QFC or QBC, it's pointless to vary it with double taps and other motions considering how small the movelist is and having no alternate strengths of attacks to occupy other buttons. Not to say it's hard by ANY means...it's just not logical. The game coud've easily been mapped to 4 buttons for fighting and 2 for stance shift and tag. Throw could be a simple simultaneous press and block is just weird to have button mapped.They probably could've condensed the movelist even more by making only a punch and a kick button and making a lot of command variations...cuz really the movelist is small enough to warrant that.

Combo system feels limited as your normals are dictated mostly by strings, you can't really form your own combos because there's no canceling outside of specials. Yomi in this feels very weak. Their is some element of it, but nothing like other fighters. Here it's know your frames, respond with a safe poke and hope it can't be beat by crouching or jumping attack. You can do a throw if you read block...that's about it. No special properties to moves or fancy set ups. Only real element to keep it interesting is a combo breaker system.

Still feels like the game's fun spawns from the aesthetic novelty. I never really felt like I was accomplishing anything significant with any attack or strategy. It was more about blocking and attacking at the right time with a very weak zoning element to tie it together. I'll have to see more, but right now this is no longer a day 1 buy for me until I maybe get some insight on elements I'm not seeing.

Honestly, I pretty much agree with everything in this post, but I still like the game. I agree, I don't care for the concept of the block button in a 2D game, but I don't think it hurts it very much- I don't think many people complained about it in MK1-3. About the third paragraph (it's knowing frames, punishing/poking and just trying to link into combos) I think that's okay. Calibur and Tekken seem to revolve around that as well (in my eyes at least), it's just that they're a lot more in-depth than this game seems to be, being that they're 3D and all, among other things. Also, I know a lot of fighters have moves that are mostly useless outside of combos, so I don't view that as much of a problem either. And for the record, throw is a simultaneous press (1+3), not sure why they wanted a button dedicated to it anyway.

I don't see this game having too much of a competitive scene, but if UMK3 is still having tournaments, I'm sure this will do fine. In the least, I think this is a good experiment to see if a Tekken clone will work in 2D.
my drunken scrub friends with fatalities, which, sadly will most likely be more entertaining for us than any of the capcom games.

Lol

Ah ok. good to know I dont need to bind throw now. I'm still gonna play the demo and look stuff up. maybe I'm missing something...but right now it's not looking competitive at all.

Like I said, all the jab exploits like the ones in the movie are removed from the final game or improved in such a way that you can't infinite. The demo is an old build of the game, so it's pretty absurd to judge the game based on it. Also, the game has the online patching system so any fail that slips them can be fixed or tweaked in a matter of minutes, unlike other fighters.

i hope so. it scares me that so much error was found in 4 characters, old build or not. i'll still be getting this game at launch and trying to remain optimistic about it but shit is still a little off-putting.

hmmmm
im glad that they made scorps spear safe and his hellfire wont rise unless it connects. They need to change his hitbox on the spear, it shouldnt be able to hit me out of the air.
I cant really say too much else cuz its just a demo

First game on ps3 where 3d actually works right on 3d tv lol. This might get me back into 2d fighters but will have to wait and see.

So who are people considering as potential mains? I'm thinking about going one of the chars I used to love, which right now leaves me with a choice between Kung-Lao, Cyrax, Baraka or, my original main, Sub-Zero. After 10 or 15 years, though, sub zero doesn't have the same appeal he had to me as a kid, heh.

I always play Milena, Kitana, Raiden, Kung Lao, Sub Zero Scorpion, Sonya, and Reptile

im actually pretty hyped about this game.
haven't played a MK game since MK2.

will be pre-ordering from good ol Amazon.

see you online ^_^

Finally have been able to play demo. I like it quite a bit. The game stays fun even when trying to learn combos, which imo is a good sign. Looking forward to final product.

Yep, it's her.. Except Rain, every character from UMK3/Trilogy is in this with the addition of Quan Chi...

Back