Natsu Questions And Answers / General Discussion

At the risk of sounding extremely nooby...
Is there a certain way you learned Natsu's a:6? I've spent roughly 40 min in training trying to nail it, but it hasn't been able to come out.
I know that just frames require practice above all else, so I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

Just watch out when punishing or juggling with it.
Because the blockstun or your recovery from the launcher can result in your input being buffered as A6.
Here you have to wait until the blockstun/recovery is over before inputting the whole thing.

Umm, not too sure what buffer means... but basically, I have to wait until natsu's launching animation/blocking animation is finished before I input a:6?

Buffering a move is the process of inputting a certain move before the animation of your previous move ends.

For example (its the only one I could think of sorry....).....

In SC4 I had to practice yoshimitsus IMCF (2aB) using his taunt. If I hit his taunt command and then enter his IMCF command just before the taunt ends, It will automatically register as a IMCF.

So basically, inputting a move early before the animation for the previous move ends. Guess thats kinda redundant. Hope it helps.

Aye, that's correct.
Buffer (in the case of A:6) means your A and 6 inputs get stored (but not the gap required for succesful JF) while you are in the launching/blocking animation, and the according attack comes out after the animation, a standard A6.

Edit: Ninja'd by a Maxi :D
The same thing that helps with yoshi 2a:B (fastest input) hinders with Natsu's A:6 (slowest input) because it can eliminate the gaps.

Flooding this thread with questions... -_-
Any tips on what to do against long-range attacks with pushback? (an attack that comes to mind is Xiba's 4B)
The pushback prevents me from punishing with Natsu's faster attacks like AAB and A:6. On the other hand, 66B and A+B cover more distance, but he's usually guarding by then. (As a result, I sometimes go for a throw... which has a modest amount of success)
I realize I should be rushing him down and not give him the opportunity to use 4B, but sometimes that doesn't happen, and it would be nice to know what to do in this situation.

Flooding this thread with questions... -_-
Any tips on what to do against long-range attacks with pushback? (an attack that comes to mind is Xiba's 4B)
The pushback prevents me from punishing with Natsu's faster attacks like AAB and A:6. On the other hand, 66B and A+B cover more distance, but he's usually guarding by then. (As a result, I sometimes go for a throw... which has a modest amount of success)
I realize I should be rushing him down and not give him the opportunity to use 4B, but sometimes that doesn't happen, and it would be nice to know what to do in this situation.

Run up in his face and block. A+B or 66B aren't bad options either though I'd go for 6B instead. Xiba sucks at punishment. If you whiff a throw attempt over his head, you'll eat a WR KKK BE for your troubles.

These tips apply to Ivy, Hilde, Astaroth, Siegfried, Nightmare or anyone with a good spacing game. Just run up in their face and block.

So basically, I should run up, hope he doesn't grab, block his attack, then 6B/A:6/AAB him?
The xiba I play against doesn't really duck (for now) but uses his 4B as much as I use natsu's bombs lol. (Probably bc I haven't developed an "answer" for it yet)
or maybe i should try to learn and make a read for natsu's sidestep B or A.

So basically, I should run up, hope he doesn't grab, block his attack, then 6B/A:6/AAB him?
The xiba I play against doesn't really duck (for now) but uses his 4B as much as I use natsu's bombs lol. (Probably bc I haven't developed an "answer" for it yet)
or maybe i should try to learn and make a read for natsu's sidestep B or A.

Yup, pretty much. 6B actually is a mid-range distance closer. It can track to one side, has decent range, great start-up speed and is completely safe on block.

I might have been thinking of 4A, but 4B is extremely linear right, like 4B+K? Sidestep then punish that shit with A+B. Technically, unless you're fighting Astaroth, you shouldn't be ducking alot against anyone. 4B is actually a pretty "meh" move for Xiba besides simple long range spacing. If you're having trouble dealing with this move, you're likely not fighting Xiba properly. Xiba wants space, take it away from him and make him feel uncomfortable.

If you haven't been using it, abuse the fuck out of 22A (sidestep A). That move is amazing and annoys the hell out of slower characters in close like Ivy. 22A is a sidestepping TC attack that can beat out a lot of different moves. On CH you get a free AAB or A:6 (both are i10).

To answer your question, 4b is safe because of the push out. There is no guaranteed punishment, it is used to gain space. Use it's negative frames to try and get back in. Just think of his options afterwards, if you try to move in at an angle with 8wr he can 6ak, Aab, or any of his other ranged step killers. If you go straight in he can try to 4b again to push you out. You have to make a read and punish accordingly when you guess right.

If you step his 4b I would use 22b into combo to punish, you also might have enough time to get in a 4a+b before he can block, would need to test.

As much as I love 22a, this is not the match to whore it. Along with 1k, 2k, a+b, Aab any other horizontal. If he reads and uses rem auto gi into rem b you are losing lots of life and maybe a ro. Use verts and kicks to check him. 3k, 66b, 6b, 2ba, 1b are good for this. The trade off is if he makes a read and steps knowing you are afraid to throw out horizontals and tries to whiff punish you with 22b. This needs to be 6a+b punished every time to discourage him.

6ak and a+bbk both can be interrupted with ch Aab before the kick, aa or a:6 can block punish 6a alone. Cuba is quite unsafe to natsu so just go over your punishment.

OK, so a general rule of thumb would be to stay up close more, either by running up and guarding, or Sidestepping his verticals with a 22A or 22B. Sounds good! Yup, I've had a lot of trouble closing the distance between Xiba and me, so I'll give 6B a try.
Wait, so does Xiba's Rem Auto-GI only block horizontals or something?

I've been having alot of trouble lately with sieg's :3::(B): , :B: lately. I can't find any move against it :( I tried jumping over it but that hits me, and if i get close enough to block it just pushes me back. I tried the 22_88 A mentioned above but the range is too short :( any advice?

I've been having alot of trouble lately with sieg's :3::(B): , :B: lately. I can't find any move against it :( I tried jumping over it but that hits me, and if i get close enough to block it just pushes me back. I tried the 22_88 A mentioned above but the range is too short :( any advice?
Wait, wat? AAB or A:6 after Seigs' 3[ B]. Don't wait for him to throw out the second B. The only way he can punish you is if he G cancels the stance.

You sure you don't mean a different move?

I tried doing AAB often after the:3::(B):, but sometimes they change stance into the one where he ducks so my AA misses and he already hit me. So i always make sure the second :B: hits.

I tried doing AAB often after the:3::(B):, but sometimes they change stance into the one where he ducks so my AA misses and he already hit me. So i always make sure the second :B: hits.

Then you're not having trouble :3::(B):, :B:. You're having trouble with the SCH mixup. UnseenWombat is correct, AAB or A:6 can beat out [3]B, B, but the opponent won't keep doing that string if you keep punishing it. They will use other moves from the stance such as SCH K (quick knees), SCH A (horizontal high stepkill), or the change to BH (the stance where it looks like Sieggy is chilling) where he can crouch your highs.

Essentially you're going to need to read your opponent and adapt. Take note of which move the opponent goes for regularly after [3]B (e.g. SCH B), then apply an appropriate response.

Possible responses to [3]B

Sieggy: SCH B = Natsu: AAB or A:6
Sieggy: SCH A = Natsu: Distorted Breeze (2B+K) or any TC move
Sieggy: SCH K = Natsu: Distorted Breeze (2B+K) or any SS move
Sieggy: BH = Natsu: A+B (perform after the BH GI effect though)

Technically you could nullify most of the mix-up by using 22A, though the Sieg player could delay their response in SCH in order to realign themselves to Natsu. However, you did say that the range of 22A is "too short". I'm guessing that the Sieg player is using [3]B at tip range? At range, try sidestepping to force the opponent to use horizontals such as SCH A.

The greatest challenge with Sieggy is dealing with his keepout and his stance mix-ups. Try to stay close and run in whenever you get a chance (such as after a blocked attack) so that you can have an opportunity to interrupt most of his mix-ups.

Back