New SCV CRITICAL GAUGE / METER - Information and Discussion

OmegaXCN

[10] Knight
For the first time in the Soul Calibur franchise, players have a meter to use for EX moves and super attacks. As time goes on, I'm sure this new meter will be retouched and refined based on player feedback and time spent with the game.

Spending the Meter:

• A full meter is designated by a large number 2 by your character's Critical Gauge. For the sake of simplicity, we can consider this a 200% meter at full (or two full bars). So a full 200% meter will allow for 2 critical edge moves, or 4 brave edge moves.
  • Brave Edge attacks: These EX moves (improved versions of normal attacks / throws) cost 50% meter. They are performed by doing A+B+K immediately after performing the inputs for the move.
  • Critical Edge: Similar to Street Fighter 4 ultra combos, these big-damage cinematic attacks cost 100% meter. They're performed with 236236 A+B+K (OR Double Quarter Forward A+B+K, Street Fighter 4 style).
  • Guard Impacts: Guard impacts cost 50% meter , even if you whiff the guard impact. They're performed with 4A+B+K. Moves with Auto-GI properties however do NOT use any meter.
Building the Meter:

Note: This is still a work in progress. This info is based on the TGS early build of the game, and is subject to change.
  • Good meter build: Landing hits and counter-hits. Exact amount gained is specific to each character's individual attacks.
  • Moderate meter build: Just-guard, ukemi, landing blocked attacks, guarding attacks (little meter gain), breaking throw.
  • Things that build random or uncertain amount of meter: Taking damage, getting up from ground, low hits (debatable), whiffing attack. Whiffing certain attacks however don't build meter. Weird.
  • ZERO meter build: Throws - They build no meter for anyone (thrower or player being thrown). Breaking a throw, however, builds a little meter as stated above since you now take a bit of damage from breaking a throw.
  • After your opponent has won TWO rounds: If your opponent wins two rounds, you begin the new round with +100% meter (ex: if you had 25% meter, you now have 125%). You notice this from the character's super saiyan power-up visual at the beginning of the round. Comeback mechanic!
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Guard Burst:

Guard Burst is based on the old Soul Calibur 4 Soul Gauge mechanic where your Soul Gauge gets damaged when you block against attacks. Once it breaks from blocking too much, your character is stunned for a long period of time.

Soul Calibur 5 does away with this Soul Gauge and finishing move mechanic, and instead calls it Guard Burst. Your character is still stunned after eating a Guard Burst (about half a second: 30 frames), but instead of a round-ending finishing move like SC4, your opponent only has the opportunity to do free damage. such as performing a Critical Edge

Guard Burst gives your next attack Counter Hit properties.

The cool thing is the on-screen action goes into a brief slow motion crawl after Guard Bursting your opponent, so you have plenty of time to confirm the Guard Burst and prep yourself to punish your opponent hard.

Instead of a seperate meter, your life bar will simply flash a color when it's in danger of a Guard Burst.
  • Yellow flash: Close to Guard Burst
  • Red flash: In big danger of Guard Burst
The yellow flash will glow brighter as it's closer to red flash. Red flash will glow brighter when it's close to a Guard Burst

Guard Burst Recovery:

Your guard gauge will recover slightly between rounds. If the round ended with your guard gauge in RED, you will be flashing YELLOW at the start of the next round.

DURING a round, the guard gauge WILL RECOVER over time when you are NOT holding down the GUARD BUTTON. Your guard gauge will have ZERO recovery while you are pressing the guard button.

--------

So it seems like they are encouraging aggressive play and rewarding players for technical things like just-guard and ukemi.

This is still from an early build of the game, but I feel this is worth discussing. Please let me know if I made any mistakes with any of this information.

Please comment and discuss

You get full meter for being down 2 rounds? That's fuckin' lame.

More accurately, you get full meter after your opponent has 2 rounds. You can win two rounds, but then you still get full meter if your opponent wins the next two rounds. Crazy.

I think you only get one full meter regardless of how much you have in the tank when your oppoenet hits match point

This video suggests a lot of the information you posted in your original topic is incorrect.

Not only is Zwei whiffing repeated GIs he also manages to GI successfully and does not lose any meter.

Furthermore, after two losses the loser gains 1 meter of Soul Gauge, not a full meter. Enough to perform one Critical Edge.

Zwei is actually performing an AUTO-GI move, as opposed to the traditional GI that takes meter. That's why I feel Auto-GIs would become that much stronger in this game because they don't require meter, while the GI that everyone has does require meter.

I could've sworn I saw a video where the character went from 50% meter to 200% meter after the 4th round. I'll check again and edit the original post when I confirm.

Thanks!

Ah that would explain it.

And I misspoke, I didn't mean to say a lot of your information, rather just some of the information seemed incorrect. It's pretty late for me, so I might not be totally there.

It's no problem!

I think you're right about the 100% meter gain (as opposed to 200%) when the opponent is up two rounds. I thought there might be a situation that would gain you the full 200% after your opponent gets match point, but maybe I'm going crazy.

Original post edited, thanks!

Hmm..I wonder if each character's Critical Edge does the same, or different amount of damages.

It seems like everyone's critical edge has different amount of damage.

I think the important thing is the properties of these critical edges. Some are throws, some begin combos, some are guaranteed AFTER a combo, and others might have evasive properties.

Exciting stuff if you ask me

It seems like everyone's critical edge has different amount of damage.

I think the important thing is the properties of these critical edges. Some are throws, some begin combos, some are guaranteed AFTER a combo, and others might have evasive properties.

Exciting stuff if you ask me
Yeah but I think Siegfried's CE is underpowered. Did you see how much damage it did? It is probably the weakest so far.

Yeah, Siegfried CE looks pretty weak. At this point, he's probably better off saving meter for Brave Edges and guard impact. Kinda like Mortal Kombat 9 where many players are okay with their character using their meter only for enhanced moves and combo breaker, as opposed to X-Rays

The new TGS trailer shows some cool usage of meter moves in combos

Highlights:

Siegfried 3B into Brave Edge Chief Hold kB

Mitsurugi BE 2KB (!!!!) into Critical Edge. 150% meter!

I keep giggling when I think about Mitsu EX 2KB.

Note: I could be wrong about them being Brave Edge moves, although they do look like it.

I want s super magnetic ultra mega attack that uses 200% gauge. Twice as damage as Critical Edge.
OR
When you have reach 200% there must be a mode I call it "soul burst" mode. In this mode you can use as many GI's and Breave Edge moves you like. If you use CE in this mode, "soul burst" ends right away. When the mode is over, character enters an overheat mode, in this state you can't charge up your soul gauge/meter.

Yeah but I think Siegfried's CE is underpowered. Did you see how much damage it did? It is probably the weakest so far.
Yeah but it has great range so if people whiff moves from a reasonable distance they can eat that and Seigfried generally does a respectable amount of damage normally

Yeah but it has great range so if people whiff moves from a reasonable distance they can eat that and Seigfried generally does a respectable amount of damage normally
They could sidestep it.

Back