New SCV CRITICAL GAUGE / METER - Information and Discussion

The simple use of delayed moves, unseeable lows, etc, make guard impact wars something that only happened between low level players in any of the SC games.

A mechanic's worth is defined by how well it withstands ALL possible ways to use it. In SC 2,3 and 4 (even with the throw concession), Guard Impacting just wasn't really used very much, it got left behind the curve in usefulness.

In SC1 it was marginally better because attack frames were better, so you were forced to use it to get out of pressure more... but GI wars STILL didn't ever happen between good players. The mechanic topped out in use at mid level play.

The way they have changed it now means it will see use at ALL levels of play, for once.

-Idle

Gatsu: Daishi recently said there WILL be forward and reverse impacts, so I'm assuming repel is 6A+B+K and parry is 4A+B+C, although I can't confirm or deny if this system was present in the TGS build of the game.

GIs use up meter even when you whiff.
thanks for the correction dude!

still, you do for error a 6G... well you do an error,if ou have to pay some meter who care,still your fault
I really really hope they restore the old imput

Idle:

I had an idea where there could be 2 tiers of GI. "Regular GI" (no meter, only does hi/mid or mid/low... The old GI, basically) and then a new "Critical Guard Impact" which is the uber powerful 25% meter version with a late window that works on highs and mids and lows, as seen in SCV.

There are 2 modes of guard (guard, just guard), so why not 2 levels of GI?

You put in "regular" GI, and Just Guard becomes redundant.

JG already does that. G tap gets H/M, G2 gets M/L. It doesn't cost any meter.

The system doesn't need old GI back.

-Idle

Idle Mind: GI clashes happened frequently with my
Circle of friends. Yet I encountered some arcade players who never used then at all. I would disagree with the "low level only" comment. My previous example was a match between e and the best player at our arcade at the time.

If both players have full 200% meter, each player can guard impact up to 8 times. In high level play, you rarely see anything close to that number in a single round, or even match.

Guard impacts always have their place in Soul Calibur matches, but a good player will tell you not to rely on them TOO much. Whiffing a GI means you get punished hard and you eat big damage. I see the new gauge system as a way of telling newcomers to really THINK about when they wanna GI, and choose those moments carefully and strategically. Because now a whiffed GI means you not only eat big damage against a player who's looking to bait you, but you also just wasted meter.

Plus it's easy to build meter anyway. Just do what's already required to win: Deal damage, which equals building up soul gauge.

If both players have full 200% meter, each player can guard impact up to 8 times. In high level play, you rarely see anything close to that number in a single round, or even match.

Guard impacts always have their place in Soul Calibur matches, but a good player will tell you not to rely on them TOO much. Whiffing a GI means you get punished hard and you eat big damage. I see the new gauge system as a way of telling newcomers to really THINK about when they wanna GI, and choose those moments carefully and strategically.

Plus it's easy to build meter anyway. Just do what's already required to win: Deal damage, which equals building up soul gauge.
I believe they put the meter in to make you think more about what you are going to do, and to make it considerably faster gameplay. I always said I'd prefer it to be a bit faster.

Right on Mage.

Namco is really pushing to invite new players into higher level Soul Calibur play with open arms.

This is what I commonly see when I watch newcomers play. Often times when one player goes on the defensive, he's ONLY looking to guard impact the next attack. This usually leads to a hilarious series of whiffed guard impacts until the player gets frustrated from eating so much damage for no reason and then attempts to go back on the offensive.

Now the consequences (and rewards?) are higher. I see the new gauge system as way of telling these players HEY IDIOTS, THINK ABOUT IT NOW. Or maybe instead of trying to guard impact, might wanna try to just-guard or going back on the offensive with brave edge or a critical edge move.

Right on Mage.

Namco is really pushing to invite new players into higher level Soul Calibur play with open arms.

This is what I commonly see when I watch newcomers play. Often times when one player goes on the defensive, he's ONLY looking to guard impact the next attack. This usually leads to a hilarious series of whiffed guard impacts until the player gets frustrated from eating so much damage for no reason and then attempts to go back on the offensive.

I see the new gauge system as way of telling these players HEY IDIOTS, THINK ABOUT IT NOW. Or maybe instead of trying to guard impact, me might wanna try to just-guard or going back on the offensive with brave edge or a critical edge move.
Yeah, because noobs are going to be trying to hit you with CE every chance they get. And when they miss, I'll be like, WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT? YOU FAILURE! lol.

The use of or lack of use of GIs was completely dependent on the player. Players with good reactions had better uses for it. Personally I think this is a buff instead of a nerf. A GI that covers HML, in a game with retarded damage out put?

Gaining a full 200% meter for losing 2 rounds is actually very stupid. I hope they remove that, rewarding losing is silly to me.

The use of or lack of use of GIs was completely dependent on the player. Players with good reactions had better uses for it. Personally I think this is a buff instead of a nerf. A GI that covers HML, in a game with retarded damage out put?

Gaining a full 200% meter for losing 2 rounds is actually very stupid. I hope they remove that, rewarding losing is silly to me.
You gain 100% at the start of one round after losing two rounds.

Back