No SCII HD Online in Japan (!)

Talim JP

Talim & SoulCalibur supporter
'Worldwide' release didn't mean Japan. As far as I know the game has only been released in the US and Europe.
It hasn't been released in Asia so the only people that do have it have US/Europe XBL/PSN accounts.
I'm trying to figure out if we are going to get the game at all here.
Any other countries that didn't get SCII HD Online can sound off here too.

Here's my guess- this version was done by Namco Bandai in Europe/UK.
Gameplay vids were French playas, all the vids/promotion were put up and announced by Namco Bandai UK.
Thus the PAL & English only with no JP realease.

Credits would be a good way to check who developed the port. The only way to see the credits is to beat weapon master mode, right? I'll be surprised if this was developed outside Namco Japan though.

I think the reason they based it on the PAL release of SC2 is simply because that was the most recent version of the game. I doubt they paid any attention to what fans thought was the most popular version.

It is really weird this wasn't released in Japan. I've heard some people speculate there's no Japanese voices because they couldn't get all rights for it, if that's the case, maybe they felt a Japanese release wouldn't be worth it if they could only have English voices.

Need someone to check the credits.

Developed in Japan but not released here?

They prob had to get Spawn's and Necrid's licenses again too, in any case.

So us foreigners get to beta test this crappy online. Nice, Namco. Very nice.

Plus, I don't know why they didn't bring back the language selection. Some of the english VOs are just awkward and bad. I am looking at you Asta VA.

I thought it did OK, but we are a small market compared to the US or Europe.

A bit late, but I took a look at the credits now. It's actually surprisingly difficult to figure out who developed this. The credits are long, and it's primarily people from the publishing side.

At the very end of the credits, there's this:
sc2hd-credits19f8y.png

Premium Agency is a company which seems to focus on doing outsourced work. They do game development, CG work and etc. chidori is a game engine they've built.

With the chidori logo being there, it's safe to assume it's running off that engine. With there being zero mentions of actual developers, I'm assuming they outsourced the entire development to Premium Agency. It wouldn't be the first time a company is coy as to who did the actual development, especially if it's outsourced.

Yes it would, but if you want something bad enough you can find a way to get it.

Thanks for the investigation Sectus, better late than never!

That could jive w/what I heard- that it was a US Namban job and JP Namban didn't touch it.
Looks like it may never get an official JP release.

Chidori and Premium Agency info:
http://www.chidoriengine.com/eng/
http://www.premiumagency.com/english/

Some hit boxes and moves seem a little different than the original SCII. They also tried to do something with shading (some of it doesn't work very well).

Last edited:
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/796/796040/

It looks like they are adding Japanese voice option for the Japanese release. There also seems to be "Create Room" menu. I wonder if they are doing any bug fixes or improve the online code. And if they do, will they patch them in to the western version.

sc2hd_05_cs1w1_720x.jpg sc2hd_04_cs1w1_720x.jpg

edit. damn, man, "Create Room" was already in western SC2HDO. So nothing new there.

Last edited:
No word on a patch.

Oh, and they only announced SCII HD for PS3, no Xbox 360 version announced.

No changes have been mentioned.
The only thing I could see from the mag pics (and shown above) is that the audio has a Japanese or English choice.

Last edited:
Back