Patroklos Combo Discussion!

Anyone found any combos if 66B hits at tip? I can only come up with run-in 66A+B (70) at the moment. 66B+K will whiff because of range.
You must be hitting it at the very tip. (Bomb ass spacing on your part.)

You can't do a teensy little step in and then 66B+K?

I guess if you're off-axis you'll whiff but I have to try hard to make this happen. I know it does happen though.

Thing is, how are you getting 70 damage? I can only do that (68) if I'm really off-axis, to the opponent's... right side?

Oh one more combo I forgot to mention:

NH
11B G 236B - 65 dmg

I personally find the timing for holding G to turn around and then inputting 236 really tight, but I think I just suck.
Not too bad, you buffer in the 236 when he's turning.

I miss this too much for it to be too useful though. But I suppose this is one of those things I'll have to keep in mind.

If you hit BT B+K there's no chance of air control, so if you're going for the reverse ringout just a heads up.

You must be hitting it at the very tip. (Bomb ass spacing on your part.)

You can't do a teensy little step in and then 66B+K?

I guess if you're off-axis you'll whiff but I have to try hard to make this happen. I know it does happen though.

Thing is, how are you getting 70 damage? I can only do that (68) if I'm really off-axis, to the opponent's... right side?

It's a really good spacing too up front with a mixture of 66A every now and then. It's -2 on block, so if your opponent runs in, you're at massive advantage. The best thing about 66A and 66B, both looks as if you're trying to dash in.

66B+K will most likely whiff at the corner after 66B, the best consistent followup i found so far is step to Pat's right and B+K.

You can also try 8B+K after 66B at tip, it catches tech to *left, front and back. I forgot whether it's left or right but it's one side. If opponent doesn't tech, there will be ground stun. If you manage to catch tech with 8B+K, 3B tech catches some direction as well.

Yeah, 66B+K does whiff around boundaries a lot.

Man, I'm not good enough to play like that, though. I know it's less damage, but I'd have to settle for 2B+K or 44B if 66B+K was gonna whiff.

I guess you could go for 236K too, but I just don't like 236K.

Mid screen you can do run in slightly 66b+k. Won't whiff in my experience even at tip. I have been looking for corner combos and b+k seems like the best option.

Oh dear. Ok first things first. I'm gonna give you a quick tutorial on how to use the training menu. First hit start, then go to 2P control settings, then set it to "CPU Character Settings," then go to control settings, Set move slot 1 to normal and move slot 2 to all guard. This is the standard setting to test combos on. Then if you want to test whether or not your combos can be air-controlled out of or tech rolled out of, set the "ukemi" or "aerial control" settings underneath. In Soul Calibur, opponents can air control after the first time they're hit in the air, so none of the combos you posted will work.

Not guaranteed. You didn't set the AI to block/tech the next attack, plus you can air control which i believe you did not set as well.

I have no idea what I'm doing, to be honest. I'm just trying out stuff to see if it works. :< I really have zero experience with fighting games.

Some thoughts.

With wrA+B_22B, sometimes parts, sometimes the entire combo will whiff. I haven't found anything that is 100% consistent (sometimes with wrA+B 3KK the enemy falls away instead of towards- sometimes 22B hit fails to realign the opponent).

I don't like it... but I may just not be using the moves correctly.

I like using 33B_99B as step whiff punish more than 22B, honestly. The range is good but it's a high and freaking everything tech crouches.

22B, 3B seems like the best I can get 100%.

I'm assuming that if you hit wrA+B it won't be off-axis. In which case, 236B seems to work well, and sometimes you get Clean Hit too. Hitting JF isn't necessary but increases Clean Hit chances from C to A.

If you really need 15 extra points of damage you can wrA+B, 236B BE, 2B+K. Seems to combo well.

3B (W!) 3B (W!) 44A CE, if you wanna pay 1 full bar for 21 extra damage (from 91 to 112). Your call.

I've been working on my punishments for whiffing that don't rely on 3B to open (I need to stop relying on that so much). I've also noticed I never use my meter, which I'm also trying to fix. Which as brought up some questions that I'm sure you guys can answer.

I've noticed a couple combos that work really well, but seem to be reliant on BE. For example:

88B 3KK 1B BE 3B (84 damage)
22K 1B BE 3B (87 damage, but I think you can replace 3B with 66B+A without breaking the combo for ~10 more damage. Never been able to do it, though.)
88B 66A BE 1B BE 3B (110-115)
etc

My question is, when is it worth it to burn meter? I believe each BE is 1/2 a meter, correct? I know combos eventually have diminishing returns, but I don't know to what extent that holds true, so are longer combos worth it to use BEs on?

Basically, is there a certain amount of damage that's worth using BEs for, or is it always situational? It seems like with certain combos you'll do more damage with two BEs than you will with one CE (or burn two meters to chain a CE at the end of a combo instead, but I don't think the damage will be worth it).

Edit: Also, how much health do people have? Seems like ~300 but I've never tried to find out exactly. Does it vary from person to person?

22_88B to 66A BE may be a tech trap, and not an actual combo, if I recall correctly. If the opponent is getting up into the blow, set the computer to "Do Nothing" and turn Ukemi off, and see what happens.

My question is, when is it worth it to burn meter? I believe each BE is 1/2 a meter, correct? I know combos eventually have diminishing returns, but I don't know to what extent that holds true, so are longer combos worth it to use BEs on?
http://8wayrun.com/threads/power-to-weight-ratio.10349/

Health is 240 points, constant across the board.

22_88B to 66A BE may be a tech trap, and not an actual combo, if I recall correctly. If the opponent is getting up into the blow, set the computer to "Do Nothing" and turn Ukemi off, and see what happens.

http://8wayrun.com/threads/power-to-weight-ratio.10349/

Health is 240 points, constant across the board.

Whiffed. Guess it is a tech trap, glad I found that out before I tried it in a match.

So based on that link, BEs really aren't worth it unless they're naked? At what point do they become "naked"? When the combo resets? And if you start the combo with a BE, does the damage scaling scale harder to make up for it?

I phrased that poorly. For example, if you compare these (they might not be legit combos but it'll get my point across):

236B BE 3B
vs
3B 236B BE

Will they do equal damage, or will doing the BE first result in higher damage because it's not affected by scaling as quickly? (I'm at work, otherwise I'd test it myself)

Naked, as in, no combo starter. Just alone. By itself.

Doing the BE first means that all of the meter you're paying is translating directly to damage points, whereas doing the BE last means that the meter you're paying must be compared to doing a normal combo.

I've not updated the initial posts because I have all this work to do!!! but, ShenChan brings up a good point, in that even then naked BE use is situational as the second hits can be countered if they're expected.

For you- it would probably be better to stay away from using Pat's BEs altogether, and use your meter for CE interrupts, CE ringouts, or Guard Impact.

Guard Impact is definitely going to be a tactic you need to know in this game, especially since you cannot use it for free and most people do not re-GI yet. Even when they do, the mindgames are still favorable.

For example, if your opponent has no meter, and you do, you can GI him for free. That's 80 damage with 66B maxed out and all you have to do is time his rhythm- you don't even have to guess high or low now.

Dont know if this has been mentioned by 66B -> 8(KB) - 2(KB) = 90 damage and leaves you at a close range advantage when the opponent gets up.

Nice juggle combo for 101 damage = 66B -> B -> BB -> BB -> 236 A -> (during spin) B.
Won't work with alot of lag

Back