Patroklos Match Up Discussion

CorrectDefense

CorrectDefense is back
Right now, I just wanna see what you guys find out yourselves. Then I will add my experiments to the mix after testing everyone else's experiments with match ups. Eventually I will add everything that has been proven to the stickie so it is easy to find.

So far I feel my worst match ups are against Seigfried and Astaroth..Seigfried I can't get in, and by the time I do i'm half dead. Astaroth, I get in, then I get slaughtered by grabs (This is the case because I am new to SC series, and don't yet fully understand the depth of the game.)

Natsu tidbits:

1-Learn to see 66B and all its variants. Regular 66B grants you 236B_CE on block....she does the BE version, you can duck the first hit, and wsA+B her out of the second hit.....she does 66B4, you can 66B her in the face(cant block in PO, none of her moves or movement options beat out your 66B). Not sure if this applies to all of her PO backdash moves(frame dependent perhaps), but will have a definite answer this week.

You don't get free 236B/CE after a blocked 66B unless Natsu does it at the corner. The shitty thing about 236B is that it doesn't have range (The JF does add a little bit though), so does CE. You should be stepping that shit if you think it's coming.

Use 6A, 4B, 3A more in this matchup, because you're gonna hate moves like 22A which leads to 6A+B combos alot.

Yeah, I figured it out not long ago. I use 6a alot anyways, but im wary of 3a unless im suspecting a high...our natsu player is crisp with A:6 punishing. I find this matchup annoying, but winnable.

Ok I went and tested. The only punish for 66B is 236:B JF and that's from a deep blocked 66B.

Alright, I'll throw a question out there: What do you feel are Pat's most difficult matchups? And what kind of things should we be doing to win those matches?

Well I guess I can answer this one. Patroklos seems to have a lot of trouble with Astaroth (or maybe its just me).
I don't know the reason why, I'm to busy getting ax slapped and body slammed to tell :P But for the most part I find that in between all of your health being taken from you and being thrown all around the ring, getting in close like you do all the time with Pat, is the same deal here. The big problem is STAYING close, due to Astaroth's crazy spacing game. I recommend throwing whenever possible, and I mean at all times whenever you can, just throw. It'll keep you close and do some reasonable damage. Just don't get to grab happy or your opponent may start predicting you and punishing your face into oblivion (literally, like I mean send you into a whole other gaming franchise like ElderScrolls). Once the throwing stops working, try 236 to get you close, then toss some 1k's or maybe just wait and then when an opening presents itself, use some of dat ol' 66b magic (not really, that shit will get you killed in my hood). But, do be careful and make sure to read your opponent and kno when to get close and when to back off, because when in close, Astaroth will throw all of your health into the trash can, so try reading your opponent and pick your spots. That should help with this big ol', robot ass, wrestler.

Just get in close (236AB is amazing in this matchup) and poke Asta to death. Use single-hit pokes to bait out the 66K BE so you can JG and punish with 66B. Learn to recognize 22B's startup and step it for the 66B punish. Don't bother trying to step the BE version though or you'll die. You can do A+B on reaction to that, though. You should learn to JG BB6 as well. Astaroth isn't capable of doing much to stop you from whoring 3B so pressure his guard gauge. This matchup is mostly about making good reads and not losing your composure.

Personally I think Mitsurugi and Cervantes are much worse for Patroklos. Mitsu is Mitsu and Cerv can fight just outside of Pat's effective range, and when you do get in he has a multitude of panic buttons to fall back on.

Yea astaroth really isn't a problem, especially because you get 66B's from JGing pretty much anything (66K BE, 1AA, 44[A]). Mitsurugi also isn't too bad; actually it feels like one of the most even matchups to me. I tell everyone that Natsu is the toughest matchup for Pat, mostly because of AAB and 66B. You can't even get BB punish on AAB in the open field because of the bad range on his 2nd slash. I'm starting to think Cervantes is another really tough matchup because of aB and what Slade said. Imo any character with i11 or i10 stuff is going to be a problem, and any character that has good tools to deal with your 1B pressure is trouble.

Yea astaroth really isn't a problem, especially because you get 66B's from JGing pretty much anything (66K BE, 1AA, 44[A]). Mitsurugi also isn't too bad; actually it feels like one of the most even matchups to me. I tell everyone that Natsu is the toughest matchup for Pat, mostly because of AAB and 66B. You can't even get BB punish on AAB in the open field because of the bad range on his 2nd slash. I'm starting to think Cervantes is another really tough matchup because of aB and what Slade said. Imo any character with i11 or i10 stuff is going to be a problem, and any character that has good tools to deal with your 1B pressure is trouble.
Yes thank you, this actually has helped me. Astaroth has been giving me troubles so I've been working on those JGs. He seems pretty free if he can't 44[A]. For anyone out there like me who isn't 100% on the JGs yet, you can GI all of these moves to 66B as well (Obviously JG it if you can though since it costs no meter and gives you the same punish).

It's also a bit suprising to hear that natsu gives you such trouble. It could be that all the natsu players I run into online are all fraudulent and rely only on the bombs which I jump and those possession mixups that I back step out of. I'm not sure if opponents having quick moves really negates pat's 1B pressure completely. I noticed something smart that one of the pat players on stream at evo was doing. He would 1B and then back step 3B to bait out and punish fast moves like 2As. Maybe you guys have thought of that. But to me, seeing that was one of those, "Why didn't I think of that?" moments.

Oh and If anyone has advice vs maxi, that would be nice. I'm free to this character in general, not just with Pat. But I've been trying to stick with and main 1 character for this game, so Pat vs Maxi stuff would help a lot.

Oh and If anyone has advice vs maxi, that would be nice. I'm free to this character in general, not just with Pat. But I've been trying to stick with and main 1 character for this game, so Pat vs Maxi stuff would help a lot.

Pat has good movement and Maxi suffers quite a bit against backstep so I would suggest that. Also don't let them sit there looping, he can't guard while he's doing it so just hit him out of it.

On another note, anyone know how to deal with the Pyrrhas as Pat?

Maxi also has a lot of fairly predictable B attacks that can be A+B'ed.

Generally the Pats I have trouble with are the ones constantly barking at Maxi's shins. Gets so annoying I end up trying to backstep and eat 66B for my trouble.

*cough* Ok lets move on to a new character. *cough*
Any suggestions? *cough* (Assuming no one here *mind cough* wants to talk about Cervy)

Against Cerv:
-Know your AA punishes (don't let him get away with random 3B/66A etc.)
-Don't tech after getting hit by BT B+K in air combos or 2A+B.
-If you have a significant life lead, don't be afraid to 9K or 9B after blocking 4B BE. It beats throw and the BT B+K won't give a full combo.
-If you step a 4B BE, run up and 66B that shit.
-aB is a 236AB punish from most ranges. Don't bother trying to use 66K, it doesn't seem to be fast enough at tip range for some reason.
-If he gets predictable with 1ABs, block and 66B him. Do your absolute best to take this move out of his arsenal (but don't eat his mids because they're terrifying).
-If he's pushing buttons after 1AB/aB on hit, make him pay for it. 6BBB is nice.
-Watch out for CE/iGDR setups. These usually consist of whiffing an attack at range and doing CE/iGDR when you try to run in.
-After iGDR ground hit combo (like 33B > iGDR) you can usually just stay grounded to avoid the mixup. Beware of turnaround 2A+B.

Basic shit:
Block the 2nd hit of 22AA. It's NCC.
A throw is forward RO. B throw is more damage (especially if he does CE after).

Cervantes is one of the few characters more retarded than Patroklos. Good luck.

Random anti Ω: DNS B is punishable by a single B.

Just wanted to let y'all know that you can backstep Viola's 44A BE orb clean after blocking the two initial strikes. It pains me to see people using GI on the orb with Pat when not every character can backstep it clean. It's a very awesome perk in this match up. Don't waste it.

Backstep into 8K, BB, 44KK, 44B, 4K, (Delayed JS options) and CE works wonders on the ones that want to run up and do 6B+K into mixups. CE might only work once so put that in your back pocket for those clutch situations.

Back