PC vs Consoles

Which platform is home to you?

• Total voters
The only computer I have seen to boot in 2 seconds or less.
100_1299[1].JPG

i could use PuTTy or Cygwin on windows, and I do, but again, those arent built in. those arent in every single windows environment i could ever sit down at, and a good working environment, is one that is standardized

Standardized environments aren't really that big of a deal, since you're probably almost always working on specific clients, and standardization as a strong point of Linux is just ironic.

Standardized environments aren't really that big of a deal, since you're probably almost always working on specific clients, and standardization as a strong point of Linux is just ironic.
I dont really think so, as it helps when you're doing tech support for someone elses machine or even developing certain kinds of software if you have a set of standardized tools to utilize - it means less work for you, and less hassle for your client. if you are comfortable with those standardized tools, and those tools are usable across a majority of platforms and systems, then yea I think that is a justifiable strong point not just for linux, but for all *nix systems, and it just happens by coincidence that OSX is a *nix systems and im here to root for all *nix systems; not just linux.

of course there is also the benefit of accessibility to those tools; even if they are available on other systems by third part means, they are always at your fingers in the terminal of a *nix system.

you may think perhaps standardization is a joke on linux for lack of a unified binary format, and sure thats a sore point, but in terms of POSIX they are at the very least POSIX compliant systems, and I believe a few, such as Debian(at least until their next release, when they'll be adopting systemd over init, as systemd is not POSIX standard) are POSIX conforming. thats enough standardization right there when combined with *nix-like philosophy to ensure a standardized working environment, even if the commands are slightly different, the methodology, general syntax, filesystem structure and permission hierarchy of everything in each of the systems is pretty much identical.

OSX is also by coincidence POSIX conforming. so you'll find the same type of environment. and since its a *nix, you'll find the same types of hardcoded tools there as well.

so combined with that they are all Unix based systems either by code or philosophy, and have some degree of POSIX compliance, id say that makes them workable across the board for anybody who has used any other *nix based system in their lives before.

Last edited:
But then again Im not gonna speak out against windows directly, because its good enough to get the job done even if i dont like it; and if you use windows, or prefer windows, then theres nothing wrong with that. I just simply wanted to dispell the myths people have about macs being garbage computers and OSX being inadequate, because its simply not true. Besides you can always throw Windows onto a mac if you dont like OSX - I just say people should give it a chance before they judge, instead of making assumptions about a system that they've either never personally used, or lack modern experience with. Who knows - they might even like it.

Life is all about trying new things.

The only computer I have seen to boot in 2 seconds or less. View attachment 38059

I bet half the people here weren't born into existence when these were THE gaming PC at the time. I never really thought about that way but yeah ~ lol ~ it did boot up literally in 2 seconds. Hit the "on" rocker switch and this was the screen. No splash screen. Just right to good ol' 64(K) Basic.

Everyone in my family has macs. I am familiar with how they operate. I just don't care for them for many reasons.

The power cord thing I listed above is just one example among many that you did not address because you know it's true :)

Oh and BTW, iPads don't have standard USB ports. Yep, how retarded is that?

Everyone in my family has macs. I am familiar with how they operate. I just don't care for them for many reasons.

The power cord thing I listed above is just one example among many that you did not address because you know it's true :)

Oh and BTW, iPads don't have standard USB ports. Yep, how retarded is that?
alright then, we'll make a big deal out of power cables, if thats what you really want to do:

new macbooks use magnet cords to charge, so no, thats not an issue anymore unless you find some way to demagnetize the magnet. id say the magnet charger is actually a good thing, since if you step on your cable, the cable just pops out, instead of your laptop flying off the table. and i know the mac mini now uses the same kind of power cable as say, a ps3 does - no power brick or anything. those kinds of cables are easy enough to find as it is, and they are cheap. both the mac pro and the imac use a standard desktop power cable - you can pick one of those up at any computer store in the city for like $10.

your cords wouldnt get messed up if you took better care of them - any cord will break if mistreated.

I hate all tablets, apple, microsoft, android, ubuntu, doesnt matter. but i wont get into that here either, other than saying that laptops exist for a reason. thats it.

im not here to argue. i already said what i had to, and thats the end of it.

alright then, we'll make a big deal out of power cables, if thats what you really want to do:
The power cord problem is just one example. The fact that Apple is such a proprietary entity, means that many of the stuff you need for it costs more, because it 'has' to be made by Apple.

Apple won't let third parties make aftermarket stuff for them. It's sort of like Nintendo now with the Wii/U.

Here's another example;

my sister just got the new iphone 5. I can't remember what the product name is, but there's a hard protective cover you can buy for any smartphone. My wife has the Samsung Galaxy 4, who also bought the same protective cover designed for her smartphone.

I don't remember the actual dollar amounts, but guess which one was literally HALF as expensive? The Samsung.

There are countless other things that cost a stupid amount because 'it's apple, stupid'.

I am by no means a master of computers, and I don't pretend to know as much as you, but I have seen enough from apple to give me the facepalm and make me never buy another apple product again.

Edit: I tell you apple is too expensive, so your solution to the power cord problem is an even more expensive product? Yeah, no.

The power cord problem is just one example. The fact that Apple is such a proprietary entity, means that many of the stuff you need for it costs more, because it 'has' to be made by Apple.

Apple won't let third parties make aftermarket stuff for them. It's sort of like Nintendo now with the Wii/U.

Here's another example;

my sister just got the new iphone 5. I can't remember what the product name is, but there's a hard protective cover you can buy for any smartphone. My wife has the Samsung Galaxy 4, who also bought the same protective cover designed for her smartphone.

I don't remember the actual dollar amounts, but guess which one was literally HALF as expensive? The Samsung.

There are countless other things that cost a stupid amount because 'it's apple, stupid'.

I am by no means a master of computers, and I don't pretend to know as much as you, but I have seen enough from apple to give me the facepalm and make me never buy another apple product again.

Edit: I tell you apple is too expensive, so your solution to the power cord problem is an even more expensive product? Yeah, no.
i dont really see how. if you've got cats, then its your responsibility to make sure they dont shred the cables - its not apples fault. and even then, $10 for a generic power cable (which you dont even have to buy from apple, as EVERYONE sells them - futureshop, newegg, bestbuy, whatever) is nothing. they arent forcing you to buy apple in that situation. what components that are already unique to apple (ie. the power supply in this case) is already built into the machine, so its not as if you are replacing that.

and yea its true its very uncommon for you to see cheap inexpensive apple alternatives to their devices. part of this is corporate greed, and im not gonna deny that because its true. another part of it is quality control.

i read an article a year or so back on third party cheap iphone chargers - i will look for the article again so that i can show it to you; give me a few days to find it. but basically they did a voltage test of third party chargers vs apple's official chargers. some of the extremely well made 3rd party chargers (which werent that much less expensive than apples) were of course suitable replacements to save a few bucks. but the cheaper you went, the worse the quality of these devices went until you were left wondering whether or not your phone was gonna blow up. not to mention the spikes in voltage caused by these things can actually cause damage to the internal circuitry of your phone.

apple just doesnt want to be held accountable for the damage to their products caused by cheap third party manufacturers. yeah you could argue that its apples fault for making everything so damn expensive in the first place, and i wouldnt argue against you because in some respect its true. but even if their pricing is fucked in that regard, they do have the right idea in terms of quality control. they should just make it a little more available for everybody else.

or perhaps maybe they figure in some way that more expensive will ring the customer off as better quality? again this isnt always the case, even if it is generally true. and if they make it too expensive, then obviously they are gonna have to hash out more shit on warranty repairs and replacements anyways because the third party option is just so much more available. of course on the other side, if they make it too cheap, not only will they be losing money, but people will think their products garbage, and they'll lose more money, and then their products will become garbage. its a delicate balance which just cant be solved one way or the other.

now this is just one example, and sure if you pay enough for a good alternative, you can get something reliable and yet still save a few bucks instead of buying from apple. but with apple at least you are getting what you paid for, even if you are getting ripped off a little. you KNOW your phone isnt gonna get damaged, and you KNOW your charger isnt gonna blow up.

That being said there are alternatives to apple, and you dont have to use apple for everything - maybe this isnt true if you buy all apple products, but again you always have the option not to buy apple if they dont have what you are looking for.

apple is overpriced, yes absolutely, i never did deny that. but at least you can take comfort in knowing that they at least make good quality products which dont fail easily, and which are efficient in both casual and working environments.

There are just as many benifits and cons for having a closed system as there are for having an open system. there is no winner on either side, there is only what works for you, what YOU prefer.

now that being said, YOU do whatever makes YOU happy. if you dont wanna buy apple, then dont. i will never hold it against you, and neither should anybody else. everybody has their own personal preferences, and everybody has a "brand name" that they trust. me, if i could, i'd build my own laptop entirely - i already build all my own desktop computers by hand, and that assures me of the quality that goes into each machine, because i know what's in it and im the one who put it there. even though all you need to build a computer is a screwdriver and alot of patience, most people arent like me. and even being like me, i cant build my own laptop because they dont commercially sell all the parts for that to be possible anyways, and starting barebones is just a pain in the ass that i dont wanna take part in. so i simply go out an search for something that suits my needs; just like everybody else does.

all i really ask, is that people do a little research before they jump to conclusions. if after that they feel the same way, then they can do what they feel is best all they like. best is subjective anyways. one mans trash really is another mans treasure in terms of technology. i think actually, that this thread has been perfect proof of that.

I chose PC, as some user stated earlier because its up-gradable. There are also variety of peripherals you can select but specifically my preference is keypad w/thumb stick (not keyboard) and most for the majority of PC games I've played.

Back