PC vs Consoles

Which platform is home to you?

• Total voters

Death_Emperor_X

[10] Knight
I'm missing something between the two, & It is EXTREMELY fucking confusing...

So as all people know or may have heard. PC is said to be the strongest device to play video games. Now from my understanding, PC's entire purpose of its existence is not meant for video games. It's use is for mainly to browse the web & have access to apps such as music, movies, & pictures. While on the other hand, we have a specific device that is purposefully meant for gaming. It's existence/purpose is not all about browsing the web, watching tv, or for playing movies. It's main purpose is for gaming ONLY. Gaming is all that its suppose to excel in like no other.

So my question is... Why the hell is PC stronger in terms of video games? As embarrassing as it is; something like the PC to take number one in gaming when it is not meant for it over a console that is meant for it, is just utterly, retardedly, awfully, shockingly bullshit & confusing. It's like a noob who never played DOA5 (or SCV) picks up the controller, picks the most unpopular character & then gets a 3 perfect win on the most godliest golden player of all. Smacking you across the face, saying "I had expected far better...."

So, thanks all of you for participating. Please give DEX your god like intellect & stick around for more questions if you'd please.

DEX n.n

Historically, microprocessor-based electronics were much more expensive (and difficult) to manufacture than they are now, so every device had to be designed with a very specific purpose in mind. Thus, PCs were designed around monochromatic text-based systems such as DOS, making gaming nearly impossible. It wasn't until the advent of the mouse and GUI that computer hardware became capable of matching dedicated gaming hardware. Fast forward to 2013, PCs are not only stronger in terms of raw power to consoles that aren't even out yet, but the internal architecture of pretty much every electronic out there is so similar that one even begins to question the necessity for dedicated devices for anything... I mean, why even bother with a game console, a TV subscription, and all of these other expensive machines when a PC will do the job for just a bit more?

Now, having said that... It's all in the games. The only reason I even have an Xbox is because of Calibur and Third Strike Online; I can play pretty much everything else that interests me from that system on my $800 laptop... with better visuals, mods, and the ability to take my games with me anywhere I go (plus fucking MUGEN). I'm not even sure about the so called "next gen" systems, which are just about as powerful as my PC and can't play any of the games I already have. Sure, games like KI and GGX aren't coming out on Steam just yet, but the internal architecture of the PS4 and Xbone is so similar to that of my PC that I wouldn't be surprised to see ports of all the good games coming on Steam just months after their original releases.

The only reasons consoles still exist are hype, brand loyalty/nostalgia, and the fact that we all grew up with them. But this new generation of kids is playing with their shitty tablets and phones more than they do with real game consoles, so the future of dedicated gaming devices is becoming less clear as time goes on.

As for the poll, I voted Wii. The reason why is that this next generation we're gonna see the PS4 and the Xbone become more and more like PCs -both in terms of games and overall experience- so I feel like I'd be wasting my money buying one. Nintendo's Wii U will be the only console with unique experiences you just won't find anywhere else. And I mean, Nintendo is doing so bad in terms of sales that they have no option left but to make awesome games until they lure us all in. Rayman Legends, W101, the new Sonic, Xenogears, Bayonetta 2, Smash... all of these games look absolutely amazing and have more than convinced me to buy the system (plus I finally get to enjoy all the amazing Wii games I missed like Tatsunoko and Last Story). So unless SCVI remains a PS4 exclusive a year after release, I'll just turn to my laptop for my shooter, fighting, and AssCreed needs.

Not that I have that much time for games anymore though...

Last edited:
I play the games I want to play on the hardware that delivers the best experience for those games. Right now, my PC is getting the most action for its graphics power, support for multiple control options, and library of games. That may change over the next console generation, but for now PC is "home". If a game is only available for a console (i.e. 3D fighters), I fire up my Xbox360 or PS3.

Besides, people stream movies and TV shows on their game consoles and browse the web on their phones now. Devices aren't as narrowly-focused as they were before.

Console vs. PC? I don't really care. The fanboys can argue all they want. As for me, I'll just be enjoying the games.

I'm a playstation girl, always have been but I'm not such a fangirl that I don't know a superior platform when I see it. For all you nerds out there, the possibilities with a PC are endless in terms of graphics, modding, downloads, you name it.
But for the rest of us simpletoons, consoles are just... comfortable. I know I can get all the games I want on my PS or Xbox should I ever choose to buy one. It's like... pie, I guess. Comforting, that is.

Good to see you're still all up for the controversial thread topics, DEX XD

I only play PC games for MMORPGs basically now, because my friends always want to use my computer or I need to use it for other stuff... =P Besides I have too many games for my Xbox anyways! And like Kira said, consoles are much more comfortable because they're simpler. PC games you install the game to your hard drive, you can't re-sell or trade them in, console games you just buy the disc, put it in the tray, and play! =DDD

Moore's Law states that every 18 months, the number of transistors in a micro-processor DOUBLES.

So right now we have the PS3/360... 7 years old... how many times more powerful are new computer CPUs than the CPUs that are in those ancient consoles? Yes, the PC isn't a closed system designed just for gaming; which is why you need something like 8-16gb of RAM to have good performance on a PC, while on a console, you only need 4-8gb. All that extra RAM goes to help running your operating systems in the background.

However, even though we have the limitations of our computer operating systems dragging down the performance of a PC; a $1600 PC today is still FAR more powerful than a $400 console that comes out in November. Now jump to 5 years from now, when the PS4/XB1 are outdated and Intel has released 3 more "tik-toks".

Moore's Law states that every 18 months, the number of transistors in a micro-processor DOUBLES.

So right now we have the PS3/360... 7 years old... how many times more powerful are new computer CPUs than the CPUs that are in those ancient consoles? Yes, the PC isn't a closed system designed just for gaming; which is why you need something like 8-16gb of RAM to have good performance on a PC, while on a console, you only need 4-8gb. All that extra RAM goes to help running your operating systems in the background.

However, even though we have the limitations of our computer operating systems dragging down the performance of a PC; a $1600 PC today is still FAR more powerful than a $400 console that comes out in November. Now jump to 5 years from now, when the PS4/XB1 are outdated and Intel has released 3 more "tik-toks".

I get the best of both worlds by hooking up my computer to my 65 inch Plasma TV to use it as the monitor.. >:D

PC gaming has better graphics and of course better performance speed. (Playing off the hard drive) but most gamers can't afford high-end gaming PCs, and even so, a PC is more of a 'personal' item you keep in your room usually, but a console is like a family-share type of equipment, like a cable box. Anyone in the house can use it. But wanting to go on the internet while your sibling is using the PC currently to play FF14 and hasn't moved in the last 4 hours...? Consoles are better for house-hold use I say.. =]

Consoles are better for house-hold use I say.. =]
My laptop costed me $800 and it plays most Steam games at a smooth 60fps (sure, not maxed out, but still better than current-gen consoles). Also, I wouldn't really agree on that last part of your post [anymore]. Most people nowadays have tablets and smartphones, a PC is only really needed when doing a research paper, doing business, that kind of thing. So there's that...

Again, I think the only reason to get a console at this point in history would be if you absolutely cannot play the game on your PC (Zelda, Calibur, etc).

Again, I think the only reason to get a console at this point in history would be if you absolutely cannot play the game on your PC (Zelda, Calibur, etc).

I disagree with this, but the online experiences are generally a lot better on console games anyways. You don't have to deal with modders, hackers, and the random computer updates that can insta-exit you out of an online session. A lot of people's PCs get viruses too over time from downloading malware, it's unavoidable sometimes. That was my biggest issue with me playing games on PC, is a LOT of things can go wrong. I can get exited because Java has an update, I can get exited because my computer wants to reset to install updates, I get exited because too many explosions appeared on the screen and locked up my console.. (yeah that happened with my older crappy one... >_>)

Going back to modders on PC gaming, you'll notice first person shooter games like Call of Duty become like the wild wild west for them. You can only mod so much for a console, weather it be data uploaded off a USB, but on a PC you can mod the hell out of a game!

(Before someone gets all pissy, let me say I take the neutral ground here. I prefer most of my games for console, a few for PC, but if you like PC then by all means play on it.. lol.)

Last edited:
I disagree with this, the online experiences are generally a lot better on console games anyways.
This is a very subjective statement, though to be honest, I barely play any multiplayer games on my PC (and I'll never touch CoD), so modding has never been an issue to me. On the contrary, it just enhances the experience. All of the other issues you mention can be easily circumvented by messing around with the settings, but I understand not everyone has the technical knowledge or the patience.

This is a very subjective statement, though to be honest, I barely play any multiplayer games on my PC (and I'll never touch CoD), so modding has never been an issue to me. On the contrary, it just enhances the experience. All of the other issues you mention can be easily circumvented by messing around with the settings, but I understand not everyone has the technical knowledge or the patience.

More things can go wrong on your PC than on a console, that's why sometimes randomly, you'll be playing a match online on your PC then "Pop up window!! You're Video pad video has been completed!" Everything just seems more problematic, my new PC is great for gaming, my old one had viruses on it and if the game locked up my PC I'd have to re-open all my stuff, like PhotoShop, Video pad, and other opened windows.

Besides, are you going to invite your buddies over for some drinks and say "want to sit around my PC and play?". A console is a much more social item, I've only gotten around that by using my big screen TV as a monitor. What one of my friends does at his house is he has 2 monitors in front of his gaming PC, one is for gaming, the other is so he can browse the internet and do other things with.

Pokemon Rumble U for Wii-U!! >:DDDD
I don't get the fuss about all of these figure-linking games. It's gotta be the weirdest gaming fad I've seen in my whole life. It's like DLC, just in real life. :/

I recently got to play Nintendo Land with a friend though, that game's SICK. Especially the Zelda and Metroid minigames, motion detection is perfect 1:1 and the shooting is crazy accurate. Graphics are also significantly better than I expected, dat crisp HD 60fps looks a lot better than anything I've played on current gen consoles (save for maybe Halo 4's insane cutscenes).

I don't get the fuss about all of these figure-linking games. It's gotta be the weirdest gaming fad I've seen in my whole life. It's like DLC, just in real life. :/

I recently got to play Nintendo Land with a friend though, that game's SICK. Especially the Zelda and Metroid minigames, motion detection is perfect 1:1 and the shooting is crazy accurate. Graphics are also significantly better than I expected, dat crisp HD 60fps looks a lot better than anything I've played on current gen consoles (save for maybe Halo 4's insane cutscenes).

Yeah Pokemon is ripping off Skylanders, because it's such an innovative idea, it's captivated kids and Activision made billions off the franchise. Now Pokemon is trying it's hand at it, I just hope it doesn't fail. And I'm glad the Wii-U has so much better aiming specs over the original Wii.

Yeah Pokemon is ripping off Skylanders, because it's such an innovative idea, it's captivated kids and Activision made billions off the franchise. Now Pokemon is trying it's hand at it, I just hope it doesn't fail. And I'm glad the Wii-U has so much better aiming specs over the original Wii.
Really? I interact with kids a lot because of my job, and I can tell you about 90% of them play nothing but Minecraft and Angry Birds. The few that play anything else (usually a 3DS) all have big brothers really into games. It's sad seeing kids miss out on all the good games that are coming out.

Really? I interact with kids a lot because of my job, and I can tell you about 90% of them play nothing but Minecraft and Angry Birds. The few that play anything else (usually a 3DS) all have big brothers really into games. It's sad seeing kids miss out on all the good games that are coming out.

Yep, Activision reported Skylanders Giants sold about 3.9 million copies! That's not including the toys the kids buy, each toy saves the character data as you play them, onto the toy! So you can take it to a friend's house and your Skylander will be at all the same stats.

It's pretty smart because it combines the toy market with the gaming market for kids, and Minecreaft is super addicting who doesn't love it?? xD

@Norik The Wii-U dropped $50 in price, I'm glad they're being more competitive, but I think next gen Nintendo is just going to stick with portable or hand-held devices because they sell so much better statistically. I think the home gaming console system is pretty much getting dominated by XB1 and PS4.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the main reason is that you can upgrade your PC to whatever you like, while console modding is against the terms of use.
Modding is so beast though, I'm jealous of those guys who have them. Have you seen what modders did to Skyrim? The realism is UNBELIEVABLE!
Historically, microprocessor-based electronics were much more expensive (and difficult) to manufacture than they are now, so every device had to be designed with a very specific purpose in mind. Thus, PCs were designed around monochromatic text-based systems such as DOS, making gaming nearly impossible. It wasn't until the advent of the mouse and GUI that computer hardware became capable of matching dedicated gaming hardware. Fast forward to 2013, PCs are not only stronger in terms of raw power to consoles that aren't even out yet, but the internal architecture of pretty much every electronic out there is so similar that one even begins to question the necessity for dedicated devices for anything... I mean, why even bother with a game console, a TV subscription, and all of these other expensive machines when a PC will do the job for just a bit more?
This right here got to me. (Great post by the way) PC's are so strong, I don't get how consoles cannot copy its power & maybe make better use for it in terms of gaming that PC's wouldn't be able to compete.
Console vs. PC? I don't really care. The fanboys can argue all they want. As for me, I'll just be enjoying the games.
That pisses me off though; genre's like mmorpg (my most favorite genre) is something I can't enjoy on consoles which is bullshit. Back in the day, I could; not anymore. I see those mmo's with free roam, pvp, & online content & go like "man, I wish I could do that again".

it's bull, I tell ya.
I'm a playstation girl, always have been but I'm not such a fangirl that I don't know a superior platform when I see it. For all you nerds out there, the possibilities with a PC are endless in terms of graphics, modding, downloads, you name it.
But for the rest of us simpletoons, consoles are just... comfortable. I know I can get all the games I want on my PS or Xbox should I ever choose to buy one. It's like... pie, I guess. Comforting, that is.

Good to see you're still all up for the controversial thread topics, DEX XD
Thanks n.n lol & your right, consoles are so much more comfortable. It makes me feel like I'm in complete control of everything. PC just makes me feel like its too automatic.
I only play PC games for MMORPGs
THAT'S MAH DAWG! (too bad their not on consoles)

Last edited:
Back