Petition to get Soul Calibur V on GGPO

This petition is to ensure that the online experience is as best as it can be for us, but this won't happen without your help! You need to sign the petition and tell everyone you know to sign it as well. With your help, this will happen! We need to show them that the players demand this!

In recent years, GGPO has become the gold standard for online netcode in video games. If you do not know anything about the GGPO netcode this is the description, copied and pasted from their website, http://GGPO.net :

What is it?

GGPO is a networking library that game developers can use to add networked gameplay support to arcade style games. GGPO's latency hiding techniques give each player a gameplay experience that is nearly indistinguishable from playing with their friends locally, even against players around the world.

How does it work?

GGPO uses a peer-to-peer topology to run a complete copy of your game for each player, transmitting controller inputs over the network to keep these copies in sync. Each player's inputs are sent to their copy of the game without having to wait for their opponent's to arrive over the network.
If the simulations diverge, GGPO rolls back to the most recent accurate state, corrects the mistake, and jumps back to the current frame, all before the player can notice. This provides the illusion of lag-free gameplay.

How does it perform?

Thousands of gamers are already using GGPO to play classic, old school fighting games against opponents around the world. GGPO's latency hiding techniques maintain the illusion of lag-free gameplay even during intercontinental play.

Can I try it out?

Absolutely! Click the "Try It!" button to get started.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/GGPO-for-SoulCaliburV/226542944023734

i have a stupid question:
If petitioning online is ass, why did Namco make us do it back late last year in regards to SC5?
Also, Twitter is an online networking website like facebook. Therefore, i really disagree with your post on why we shouldn't conduct this petition. Enkindu is right, we can sign the petition AND talk with Namco directly. I mean i may haven't directly talked with namco in regards to SC5, but if you're going to be SC's main revival guy, i'd be careful on what you post.
JAG, you and i both know that even tho a few of us are hardcore offline gamers, however you and i both know that online population will make up alot of Namco's financials :D So, let's just try to make this as good as possible for in the event we DO play online sometimes.

I'm also not trying to stop anyone from petitioning, but my suggestion is that you guys should find out what Namco has to say about it first, because we don't know what their plans are yet. You have the ability to communicate with them. They will also be at CEO next week. Talk to them and see what they say.

Malice, we really don't have much time to wait for them to respond. You know how they are with twitter. It's almost like winning a lottery for them to respond. I can't stress enough how this has to happen as quickly as possible! We don't have much time.

Offline is what matters.
They should put their complete focus on offline.
Online doesn't matter it is just an ad on.

Ignorance is bliss. The OFFLINE community is for sure the MONORITY when it comes to gameing. Millions and Millions of whiney bitchy grade school kids come home and got online to hook up with friends on a dailey basis. This is 2012....technology is GOOD.

Now before you get all pissy with a witty rebutle....I actually agree with you. BUT...There are people like me who have a dwindling offline scene and cry to the thought of my beloved SC game collecting dust on the shelf. If I could have 20 peeps at my pad everyday, your fuckin A right I would do that shit. But lets be realistic, I figure 1 out or 10 people that will buy SC5 will play it for the offline scene. Online is a different game, it does stupid shit that makes the game damn near un-playable online. The petition to get GGPO going is a wonderful thing and we all should support it.

Cause lets face it. Without the millions that bought this game to play it, you can say 2000 or so play it competativly offline. (I might be exagerating on that number but Ill bet the percentage is close)

Good lookin out ENK!!

HRD

I'm supporting it.

Online is not for everyone but I believe it does benefit certain groups of individuals; this generation a few have proven it.

With better netcode, I believe the learning gap and the transition affect btwn online and offline will shorten; hopefully more online players will come and prove themselves worthy competitors to the offline scene.

Just came over from SRK to throw my support behind this game getting GGPO netcode. It isn't perfect, but it's the best we've got right now.

That is awesome. Thank you for your support. In the end, if this can be shown to be viable, this will greatly improve all online FGs for everybody.

Thanks again and welcome to 8WR!

wow, calm down Malice, so i misread your post. sue me.

Anywho, it's good that the support is coming. keep it up!

Thank you for the support GoombaFromMario (love the name btw).

HRD, I completely understand. I basically have only had online play for sc4 since it's release. My entire meta game is based on what I've learned by playing online. This won't work come CEO. I really do hope that GGPO gets decided on being SC5's netcode. I want to be able to use what I've learned online in offline.

page kinda reaffirmed what I thought GGPO does to 3D fighters. Its great for 2D fighters because it uses less resources but I did hear that it lags 3D fighters.

Tekken has a pretty beast net code. They should use that one. Not sure what net code Tekken uses but I don't notice lag until I hit 1 or two bars.

This week's events

SoulCalibur VI EVO Japan side event
Ariake GYM-EX, Tokyo (Tokyo Big Site)
3-chōme-11-1 Ariake, Koto City, Tokyo 135-0063, Japan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luca9974
Back