Pirate Matchups

babalook

[10] Knight
Ok so i havnt seen one of these for cervy yet so i decided i'd make one. Basically this thread is to show who he's good/bad against, honestly im not sure about all his matchups but i know some that are good/bad for him so ill put my thoughts up here. Also i'd like to see what characters you dominate and whos rapes your cervantes.

Good,
Agol
Astaroth
Rock
Seong-Mina
Tira
Talim
Voldo
Yoda
Zasalamel

Bad,
Mitsurugi
Raphael
Hild
Ivy
Darth Vader
Sophitia

These are all pretty much from personal experience and all the other characters are pretty much undecided because i don't play them often or the matchup seems fine.

well i kinda think characters that have great punishers like takis A:6 is kind bad cause i mean i play safe but i throw shit out there every once in a while thats not cause some of his best combo starters are extremely unsafe. Ex. iGDR & 3B

Hilde is an ok matchup, IMO. Cervantes can stop her from spamming charges with the use of iGDR. He has good body attacks, too. 6K, 66K, etc...

Raphael, though I have little experience, is definitely in favour of Cervy. 1B kills prep and also, Raph, with all his verts, whiffs a lot, and who's better at whiff punishing than Cervy ('cept for Hilde)

Also, I feel Voldo and Astaroth are horrible matchups for Cervy. Voldo, for one, is just really good, and Astaroth, ohhh... A goo Astaroth can space you hard and keep you just outside iGDR range, even up close, you have very little. 1K mixups < crouch grab.

Voldo is a tough-ish match because of Cervantes' poor step. Astaroth isn't bad, however, because he really can't space you with much. Turtle up and he will eventually have to come in to try and bullrush/throw you, at which point you can bring your tools to bear.

Ive found closing gaps to be pretty easy with cervy and i didnt know that 1B can stop prep. Does it interupt prep A as well cause i havent found a way around prep so this could be great.

Voldo is a tough-ish match because of Cervantes' poor step.

Gotta keep this in mind, it's so weird for Cervy, he's had great step in every other game. But this I think is what makes Hilde such a tough matchup. C3B will just kind of randomly hit him here and there even when he steps correctly. So while he has risky tools to handle her charge A's, he doesn't have safe movement to fall back on.

Think about it this way, iGDR does close to 60 damage, for every time you guess right and beat her charge moves. She hits you once and takes the round. It's a bad matchup for a lot of people, but it's worse for characters that have poor step.

She doesn't get the doom combo after iGDR, though. You can use it relatively safely in the middle of the ring.

how good of a match up is setsuka for cervy since i would figure its not in his favor since she's not real punishable in most situations

its a little bit of a hard match-up babalook. The fact that most of her moves are safe and that aB is NOT safe.. on block makes for a depressing battle if you rely on punishing to win. Try out his 6B a little bit if you see her moving towards you linearly when at range. Not 6BB... just the first B.. it helps keep her at a little bit of a better distance for cervy. If she starts stepping more than start using 3A+B more. Because its safe on block its a life-saver in this match-up. Your gonna have to rely on playing safe and using a lot of mix-ups against her because so many of his moves are punishable by umbrella, aa, bb, or (I don't remember the annotation having not played in a month..lol) the one where she quick strikes you. I personally feel this match-up is alomst more about knowing setsuka than it is about knowing how to play as cervy. You really have to learn which moves of hers you CAN punish and get it into your head that you might not even want to TRY and "punish" any other moves than those.

random aside... Makes sure you learn to punish a throw attempt with A+B if you ducked it. iGDR actually feels like a rather useful move in this match-up while in others it seems bad or unnecessary. iTLP ;P (helps with the pressure), and finally be ready to use 9B+K against her lows (the slower ones or a UBER anticipated one against 2k..lol)

haven't played ina a while but thats what I remember from offline experience against good sets. Online its probably a little different but MHEE.

ya aB isnt real easy online so i normally stick with AA which has terrible range problems so im guna have to work on aB more but if thats a second to late BOOM umbrella to the face. And i do know setsukas frame verry well but do occasionally mess up punishes cause i just started punishing like this month so im still kina getting used to it.

I think Cervantes does well against Yoshimitsu

If Yoshimitsu blocks your WSA or aB, he gets 3B

However,

If you block his REF A (4B+K, A) you get WSA/iGDR
If you block his FC 3K, same
If you block his DRG K (8B+K, K), same

I really don't think Yoshi can do much when 2A+B is properly used. I've never had a major problem w/Yoshimitsu, but this is personal experience.

^^agree completly

My thing on yoshi is...Cervy seems to punish yoshi preeeeetty hard if yoshi tries to mix him up...like everything nori mentioned yoshi gets punished hard. and he didnt even include stuff like 3AB, 3B, (you get an iGDR off both of these) etc.

yoshi can play a little safer and but then that means his general damage output is gonna be really low. I think yoshi's strength is in his mixups and ability to put you in situations where you have to make a decision quickly

so i think yoshi kind of has to take risks to try to even compete with cervantes which leads to punishment opportunities for cervy

Cervantes does not have to play unsafe against yoshi. yes yoshi gets a 3B for blocking ws A or aB but Cervy doesn't need to (or should) be using these moves outside of punishment. the only things that should be getting punished that come to mind are 3B and 1K.

granted yoshi still has iMCF going for him but i really think Cervy does really well against Yoshi

well.. I main yoshi and cervy is my "original" main... so yea. But I agree that the match-up is in cervy's favor. In part because yoshi is very punishable to an extent. That being said a GOOD yoshi is going to imcf spam the hell out of you if you let him in close with cervy. But I also must say that yoshi doesn't necessarily need to use his unsafe stuff anymore than cervy does for this match-up.... and honestly I beleive yoshi kills cervy in the throw game... which even things out a bit. Cervy take a little lead again by the fact he can duck punish a throw pretty hard (but honestly ppl don't do this often enough...or strong enough). 3B is steppable if abused and yoshi has some mad strong anti-low moves if you anticipate even a little bit... so I wouldn't say SPAMMING 1k is a good idea. I know I've said things about this match-up pleanty of times though..so I don't feel like tryin to go more into it ...lol. I believe there is a lot of talk on the yoshi board about the match-up if anyone cares...

in short... adv cervy.. but not by TOO much...

Got bored and I wandered into this thread..>_<

I'm gonna have to call this matchup even based on my experience with Hates and my brother, Botsu. Yoshi can definitely get away with playing safer than the Pirate. An experienced Yoshi player would only conservatively use iFC 3K. 214A and DGF K may get pulled out once per match. REF A only belongs in post-GI territory. Especially agains Cervy.

Yoshi's biggest advantage in this match is being able to switch between rushing down and playing safe. Yoshi also has several answers to the Pirate's BT mix-up following WS A, aK.

Unless you're an iGDR monster and know your frames, it's likely that most of your punishment will be aB. While...

Cervy 3B can be punished with AA.
WS A, aB, GDR can be punished by 6K2K or 3B.
A ducked throw and 11AA can be punished by 6K2K.
iGDR obviously gets the back throw treatment.

Admittedly, the general Yoshi player still think a number of his punishable lows are quick, abusable, and can't be seen. So, Cervy should be 6/4 or as far as 7/3 against low whoring, unsafe Yoshi players. ^_^ Just my two cents.

Good post Hajime. But like we discussed on AIM a while ago, the average Yoshi will spam those moves like they are safe. I see SO MANY Yoshi players use DRG mixups like they are a good idea. In all honestly, I'd love to see a Yoshi play like you said above, but I have never ran into anything resembling the Yoshi you described above.

Should I take this as a personal challenge, Hajime? =P

I honestly think pirate has a decent edge against Yoshi.

Nori: We exist...all 2-3 of us that I know of? >_<

Should I take this as a personal challenge, Hajime? =P

I honestly think pirate has a decent edge against Yoshi.

I'm coming for you, Hates! Watch out!

Seriously, though, I feel like I've found some answers to even the odds a bit. While I'd like to say I can win against you and your cyborg reactions some of the time if I'm not playing recklessly (a lot of factors here >_<), I'll just have to go as far as to say I think the match-up appears more even than it was before. Hence my desire to get some casuals in with you after last tourney to see where things stand. 'sides, you aren't the average skilled Pirate player! You're Hates!

hey.. i don't spam lows like a tard *sad face. But according to your list I guess i is be da noob for punishing ducked throws with 3k instead of 6K 2k .... *sniffle. Sadly I don't know when the next time I'll be in the sac/davis area or I'd try and set something up. It was unfortunate (but good job) that you were away getting into regionals the days I was down there or we could finally get an offline game going (lol.. I remember playing you online a LOOOONG time ago though.. we both seemed to kinda suck from what I remembered... LOTS of 3k spam from both of us...:P).

And to nori... are you talking about on or offline? cuz ONLINE it turns semi-safe... but offline ...well..are there really very many yoshi's that you guys see ANYWAY? And DGF K (or B) is useful for its tech jump properties... specially when you just KNOW that last hit is gonna be low. Poor fella gets so much hate just cuz he's abused online :(.

and to hajime... do you really use REF more than maybe once every 10 matches????

(one more RANDOM aside... I keep seeing you online while I'm on SF.. di you decide to start playin online again or has it been special occasions?

Gator: Agustin plays Yoshimitsu. Not against me anymore cause I beat it so bad (now we go back and forth when we plays Mitsurugi, cause I really don't know how to approach him). David Evers used to play Yoshi also. FunkPanda plays Yoshimitsu. BBOYTekken plays Yoshimitsu. So yeah, in TX, I've pretty much seen every high level char except a really good Hilde. I think Cervantes wins 6-4 if he plays smart. I never EVER talk about online, to me, it doesn't exist.

Hajime: When you play Hates, do a first to 10 and post it online, cause I want to see this.

Back