Preparation Glitch Discussion

Heaton

A Soul in the Purgatory
[notice]Moved discussion on the instant Prep glitch here since specific things tend to get lost in General discussions.[/notice]

So I was in chat earlier and heard a story:

Code:
[16:24:14] <greatone1939> what's the low stab out of prep?
[16:24:18] <%Heaton> Prep A+B.
[16:24:23] <%Heaton> I will almost never use it outside of a combo.
[16:24:35] <greatone1939> so how is it used without going into prep
[16:24:38] <%Heaton> It's negative, telegraphed as hell, doesn't backstep well, and leaves me at -20.
[16:24:46] <%Heaton> You can't use it without going into Prep.
[16:24:46] <greatone1939> this dude did it like 10 times the other night
[16:24:50] <greatone1939> he says by accident
[16:24:52] <%Heaton> That's impossible.
[16:24:55] <greatone1939> nope
[16:24:56] <%Heaton> Did you record the matches?
[16:24:56] <greatone1939> I swear
[16:24:58] <greatone1939> no
[16:25:07] <%Heaton> That was poor judgement on your part.
[16:25:12] <%Heaton> You may also be thinking of 33B.
[16:25:19] <greatone1939> that was poor funding on my part
[16:25:31] <greatone1939> no
[16:26:04] <greatone1939> he said he was trying to CE everytime and just messing it up
[16:27:05] <%Heaton> To my knowledge, it's impossible.

Might be worth looking into. Any ideas?

I really think the guy was mistaken. I think he didn't recognize some of the Prep entrances. Some are not too frequent, such as 44A(B). And if someone tries to input a CE while in Prep, the A+B+K work as A+B.

I often perform Prep A+B accidentaly while trying to do PrepkA+B+K.

I really think the guy was mistaken. I think he didn't recognize some of the Prep entrances. Some are not to frequent, such as 44A(B). And if someone tries to input a CE while in Prep, the A+B+K work as A+B.

This is pretty much the first thing i thought of as well.

Solid_Altair said:
That makes 3 of us now.
It's negative, telegraphed as hell, doesn't backstep well, and leaves me at -20.
If they block it, I consider myself lucky lol.

I actually think this move works well enough if performed rarely, after your opponent has forgetten about them and is very concerned with your other Prep option.

And I mean... reeeaaally rare, kinda like when you eventually do it by accident xD

Also, the backstep isn't so bad if it's added to Prep 4 backstep. I landed a few of these.

Found something while rooting around the SA.

Double post, but this is worth it, I promise.

I stumbled on a Raph bug yesterday that was most interesting. As in a GOOD bug, for once. And I have several witnesses who will attest that this really happened.

I was fighting a guy who used Aeon, and at the end of a match I was backed a bit towards the edge of the stage just doing 8wr. I was just screwing around, thought I'd do 44A+B (my input was actually more like 214A+B) but somehow, what came out was Prep A+B. I did this move without being in Prep. There was no mistaking the move; Raph reared back, laughed and poked Aeon right in the foot.

Unfortunately, it only happened once and I have yet to figure out how I did it. But this confirms the existence of something interesting. In the worst case it's a way to perform Prep A+B any time. In the best case, Raph may somehow be able to perform Prep moves without entering Prep.

Hopefully someone here has some idea what happened.

Again - any ideas?

Found something while rooting around the SA.

Again - any ideas?

I'll start my usual methodology (cautious mashing) on discovering bugs now this is a bit more narrowed down and seems like might be legit....

-LAU

So I take it I don't have to keep this a secret now? It'd be really nice if yall could help me figure it out.

FYI we were not mistaken. The mystery A+B move finished the match, a couple of us were like "WTF just happened?" We all watched the instant replay, and there was no mistake that the only thing that was being done before it came out was 8WR.

On a related note, it truly sucks that you can't save offline replays in this game.

EDIT: Also keep in mind this was before the 1.03 patch so it may have been removed by whatever fixed those other known bugs.

It is most likely accessing a prep stance move he might have had in a way they hadn't thought of when they disabled it. Maybe out of 8way run, maybe out of a move canceled by guard.

15 mins of mashing and twirling stick and pressing A+B, A~B,B~A last night resulted in nothing (even threw in G and Ks once in awhile)

-LAU

Alright Raphael Sleuths try to figure this one out at 0:28

I've taken the liberty of capturing the inputs. Good luck!

Is it the continually mashing ? Holding A but not B ? I don't see any slide inputs ? Is it a combination of 2 or 3 commands ?

I've been try to do this to no avail. This is just a hypothesis:
In the video he does 3A and mashes the B. So you do 3A animation, but because the B was inputed almost instantaneously, maybe the system thinks you actually meant to do 3B instead of 3A. So as a way to fix the problem the system give you the end effect of 3B and enters into prep stance to do A+B. If this turns out true, you could do things like 66aB and enter prep using 66A animation.

@Eli123s : I think you're close to the explanation.

The guy on WuHT's video does :
- 3A ==> it triggers Raph's i14 elbow.
Then he does :
- 33(A)+B, 33A+B three times and finally 33(A+B).

1 - I believe holding one or several buttons is importants. It's certainly what fools the computer into thinking prep is started.

2 - I don't have the game (I was short of money and then 1.02 kept me from buying), but I guess 33(A) would trigger 33A normally. Do 33(A)+B or 33A+B trigger some move ?

possible inputs :
- 33[A+B] . Would be easy and convenient.
- 33(A)+B, A+B.
- 33(A)+B, (A+B).
- Mashing 33A+B or 33(A+B)

Edit : I kow I'm getting carried amay, but if we can convince the computer prep is entered, is it possible to perform prep moves other than A+B ? Like SE or the retreat step...

Alright Raphael Sleuths try to figure this one out at 0:28

I've taken the liberty of capturing the inputs. Good luck!

Is it the continually mashing ? Holding A but not B ? I don't see any slide inputs ? Is it a combination of 2 or 3 commands ?

will go back to the lab again and try to mash a bit more....

I'm thinking it's got something to do with him holding the A+B or holding B after pressing 3A shortly to trigger what made the computer think he's in prep for a bit...... because

he did.. 3A when

-LAU

Good news, gentlemen. I've been able to replicate this glitch fairly consistently now. Unfortunately, I have no video yet, but I'll be able to jury rig something and get a video up before tomorrow night. For now, a picture of another possible input:

120426_0000.jpg

My theory on what's going on here is that you're tricking the game into thinking you're entering Prep - in this case, off of 3(B) - and then doing Prep A+B right after. I believe the key is in the timing, and not the mashing. I was able to do it with only one 3A+B input after my first 3A+B, and the subsequent A+B input gave me Prep A+B. I believe you'll need the end of 3A's animation to line up with the end of 3(B)'s "imagined" animation and entrance into Prep, thus making the game think you've entered into Prep after 3A.

It's complicated, still difficult to do, and hard to explain, but hopefully this will allow some of you more versed in this to expand on what I've done and hopefully give us something more concrete.

thats awesome Heaton, im waiting anxiously for that vid. even if the only move we can do is prep A+B , it still might add some solid guaranteed dmg to 22B or off of his new stuns.

EDIT: made grammar less horrifying

Good news, gentlemen. I've been able to replicate this glitch fairly consistently now. Unfortunately, I have no video yet, but I'll be able to jury rig something and get a video up before tomorrow night. For now, a picture of another possible input:

120426_0000.jpg

My theory on what's going on here is that you're tricking the game into thinking you're entering Prep - in this case, off of 3(B) - and then doing Prep A+B right after. I believe the key is in the timing, and not the mashing. I was able to do it with only one 3A+B input after my first 3A+B, and the subsequent A+B input gave me Prep A+B. I believe you'll need the end of 3A's animation to line up with the end of 3(B)'s "imagined" animation and entrance into Prep, thus making the game think you've entered into Prep after 3A.

It's complicated, still difficult to do, and hard to explain, but hopefully this will allow some of you more versed in this to expand on what I've done and hopefully give us something more concrete.

if your theory holds true.... then i wonder if it's possible to do other prep or even go into SE from this.....

So i guess we should see this as a JF... kinda like Cervantes BT B+K JFs

-LAU

Back