Preparation Glitch Discussion

Yesterday I fought a super skilled Leixia player, who is much better than any of you scrubs, even though I can't name him or even prove the match actually happened. I won by landing a super risky And readable move, but I don't know if it was because of my crazy skills, or lag, or lack of matchup knowledge, or something else. This totally proves that the move is viable at high level play.

Seriously Zanaken, stop acting like you are better than everyone else, this is getting old.

If there's confusion, I'll clarify;I don't assume I'm better than people. I am, however, pretty good;denying that so that you can invalidate some of my points is just stupid.

To Onyyx: ALL moves that hit, hit because your opponent wasn't expecting it. The argument is whether Prep A+B can ever catch someone at all. I am saying that it has a time and a place.

Whether YOU are successful with the move does not mean it's good or not. Most people play a back and forth, slow, game. If you are knocking out one move at a time, then yes, your opponent has more breathing room to react.

Dash in, 2K - Backdash, 1A - That kind of gameplay makes landing Prep very difficult, let alone Prep A+B. My gameplay is about prediction and counters. I time attacks to coincide with what my opponent is likely to do. I have uploaded several videos now, and you can see this for yourself.

Now, either every opponent I have fought is getting superbly unlucky, or I am using moves differently to you guys. My tips DO NOT apply to you. Why are you responding to it? Why are you not just picking out what applies to you and ignoring what doesn't?

Prep A+B is NOT made for your playstyles. IT IS NOT a good move for you. DO NOT USE IT.

Arguing with that I am just getting lucky everytime it lands is just an excuse to argue with someone you don't like, namely;me. I know that this forum doesn't get much else in the way of... foruming, but c'mon - Let it go. Delloso, you just proved this by arguing that my earlier point is invalid because I can't name the player, or prove the match happened. I named him and offered to upload the play.

Your response?
And uploading the match probably won't prove anything.

I'm seriously not getting fazed at being constantly countered by THE SAME PEOPLE, over and over. You guys ENJOY arguing with me. Admit it, or just ignore me. Don't play this little game of "Let's throw a huge hissy fit because some guy on the other side of the world enjoys pressing THE WRONG buttons in a bloody video game."

I like a good debate as much as the next guy, but this isn't a debate - Debates have a purpose: To get a point across. I have already dissected the shit out of my point. Let the point go... Not liking it yourself doesn't make it wrong.

If there's confusion, I'll clarify;I don't assume I'm better than people. I am, however, pretty good;denying that so that you can invalidate some of my points is just stupid.

38f1cc7ccbd67552faed5b0aa2a4eb20.png

This soul arena is pretty stagnated, everyone's practically ran out of things to share, so discussions are the only way to have some activity. If you want people to let go stop leaving posts meant to start controversies, and ignore us yourself.

The reason I don't think a video will prove much is because we are not questioning if you can actually hit someone with prep A+B, but rather the reliability of the move, how often will a skilled player fall for it under any circunstances. We ask you to name the player because if he is a known name in the community your argument holds more credit, it is much more effective than we just taking your word about his skill. If you are trying to make an argument related to physics, quoting einstein will earn you much more credibility than just quoting a random person.

So because I said I am capable of scoring a win on them, you get offended enough to forever engrave the statement in your head? Scoring a win is something an absolute freshy can do to both, and to me. Scoring a win isn't some "HOLY SHIT" moment.

Would you have preferred me saying that no matter how hard I tried, I could never beat them? I think you would have. You glorify competence in this game too much. It's a constant circle-jerk of "Wow, dude, you're so good at this game. I know this because you beat me, and you always say how good I am."

The post above was a response to a frankly ridiculous statement that I could not beat them, or that they are some sorts of gods at the game.

For the record, my inputs are usually solid. Not perfect, but solid. I always considered Pyrrha as an easy to execute character. Because of this, I have little patience for people who say they are good with her, but can't even land 236: B :4 reliably.

-

To Delloso;my point to you is that the viewpoint of moves being reliable or not is based on a rock-paper-scissors style of play. If I enter Prep, and know that my opponent is going to use, say, AA - Then Prep A+B's reliability as a "just throw it out" move doesn't count for squat. It WILL hit through AA, that's just fact. The only non-fact is if my read is correct.

The regular viewpoint is different. "I don't have a clue what is coming next, so I will just do what has the least risk, and hope it hits." The closest this risk-free style of play gets to skill is reacting to certain stances or moves, and stuffing it with another, you guessed it, safe and risk free move.

I can read my opponents well. I have good Yomi. Now, don't get offended by me stating a strength of mine for a second, and see that if someone can quickly acclimate themselves to an opponent and their play-style, then moves like Prep A+B become a lot more useful.

Do I guess wrong? Hell yes. Am I the best at Yomi, execution or reaction? Hell no. Am I going to just give up and stick to brain-dead play? Well... You can guess the answer.

I will give you one point to mull over. B+K auto-evade. Is that move made to only be used on guaranteed instances such as strings? If so, then why would anyone bother to finish a string? The answer? Most braindead players DON'T finish strings, instead focusing on sharpening up their hit confirms to further minimize risk, even if the last hit of the string WOULD have hit.

Now look over some of my videos and see how often I fail to get off my B+K. Usually when I do, the problem is timing, not the properties of my opponent's move. Am I psychic? Am I getting lucky, and I mean fucking LUCKY? Or maybe, just maybe, I am noticing patterns in my opponent that I am capitalizing on?

Am I doing it 24/7? No. I apply your style of play as well. I am, however, taking valid choices based on reads. If I am in Prep at a distance, and I know my opponent will do a move that wont hit me if I Prep A+B, I will Prep A+B. If I am in Prep at short range and know a shorter range move is coming, I will - You guessed it - Prep A+B.

Why does this offend you?

Zanaken, we have tournaments in London - that is, tournaments in your home city - every month, and since you were informed of them you have not shown up. If you come to one then we will all be able to see what you can do and there won't be any need for all this BS. It would be a lot easier than trying to convince everybody that you are a very smart and skilful player on the basis of you say so.

I don't understand how everyone is still missing my point.

My skill-level is irrelevant. The point is about Prep A+B, and whether it has a use. I am arguing that it does. For all it matters, I could have trouble executing AA.

I have outlined its uses, and to whom, or to what playstyle, it applies to. What I get back is "I don't think you're skilled, so this move somehow loses its properties."

Seriously, are you all dense? A tournament is a place you go to to have fun. Not settle an argument over a bloody move.

"Hey guys, Zanaken turned up and took first place. The properties of Prep A+B have now changed!"

The only thing that I fail to understand is how can high risk low reward moves enhance gameplay. For every situation you brought up there are better options, moves capable of resulting in much higher reward for considerably less risk, which makes them more effective and more reliable at the same time. I am not saying you shouldn't throw out prep A+B for the sake of surprise and gameplay variation, I'm just saying why I think the move is unreliable.

Let's say you predict a vertical is coming. Why attempting B+K, when a step into 33K BE nets you higher damage without you having to worry about timing? Not to mention that for B+K to even do anything you have to guess right again in the following mixup, and even if you do it doesn't outdamage 33K BE and its air tricks.

GOLD Magiczappy

Out of curiosity, what credentials do you have? I doubt any, so just answer my next question. Why do you need credentials?

If I come out with a working grand unified theory of relativity tomorrow, and send it off for peer review, do you think they'll go "Na, I wont bother reading this, he hasn't even high-fived Steven Hawking..."

PS. I don't like pubs, they're for old people and spinsters.

Um, I got my SC chops vs. kab, Enkindu, RTD (managed to take a couple rounds vs him in some SC2 tourneys using Raph (sadly no match wins :( )), and a few others that may not be as big a names as those few. Nearly a decade of playing Calibur, writing the book on SC2 Raph. Sorry, I haven't taken Evo but I'd wager my pedigree is a bit stronger than yours if'n you wanna measure SC "e-penis" (which is stupid anyways).

None of this matters tho' because I readily admit I'm not the world's greatest Calibur player and credentials don't matter when the strategy being discussed is good. Yours isn't until you prove otherwise. Come on, admit it, Zanaken is old Anglican or Gaelic for troll or something.... right?

Just lemme know so I can head down to the Winchester, grab a pint and wait for this whole shit storm you like to cause to all blow over.

BTW, you're better than me. I'll admit it... the tech you peddle still blows chunks. Big fruity chunks that you find at the bottom of a yogurt cup.

Muh 3A+B:5

I time attacks to coincide with what my opponent is likely to do. I have uploaded several videos now, and you can see this for yourself.
This has never been a strong point in any argument, every good player should be at least somewhat yomi based.

The overall damn point is that while iprep works on Joe Schmoe it really is not going to work on players who actually play the game. The only reason people mention offline when this move is brought up time and time again because that is the most objective way to prove something works, playing against players who play often and aren't total idiots. I mean use the move all you want, go for it, but "this works, because I say so" just does not hold ground.

Hell, why even ever bother with the move when you have much safer, viable options like 44B, or even backstep into 236B. I hate to lump people in categories but it is really apparent that the online exclusive players get extremely indignant when criticized. The best remedy is to come to an event or get smacked in the head a few times with a blunt object, or maybe a few 3A+B:5s.

I also made this because we are all here to be jolly and have a good time.

muh zanaken.jpg

I get your point. Loved the comic xD

You are still not getting mine fully though. For me it's "I like using Prep A+B" (not necessarily iPrep,) and you guys are the ones running around screaming "WHERE'S MY 33KB / 44B?! IT'S SAFERRRRRR!!!"

What is it about using 3A+B:5 over 44B that upsets you so much?

I hate to lump people into categories too, but the tourney scene is EXTREMELY defensive about their own play. The last god-knows-how-many pages shows this clearly.

For the record, moves like 44B are awesome, but 3A+B:5 is an excellent tool after mid-stage knowckdowns. I was mainly arguing about Prep A+B though, not iPrep.

The point of the soul arena is to discuss tech, improve oneself, supply a database for the character, and most importantly, guide new players. 3A+B:5 stuff is pretty unanimously categorized as gimmicky, extremely risky, and overshadowed by every other tool Raph has when faced with a situation where something like a retreating attack seems like a viable option. People here are building a meta for a character.

Back