Preparation Prep: A Prep Primer

Mr.Hai

[09] Warrior
Considering its role as an integral (well supposed to be) part of Raphael's (Raph) moveset it is important to know what options are available for and against preparation.

Preparation (Prep): Raphael's primary stance. Prep can be entered by holding the last input of the following moves:
6B(B)/Prep~B(B)​
3(B)​
66(B)​
6A(B)/Prep~A(B)​
44a(B)​
44A+BG cancels the attack and enters prep after the TC. However is the opponent steps such that prep does not track them (steps of 90 degrees or more to either side), the move will cancel to neutral.​
Prep~4 will GI all vertical attacks and then re-enters prep automatically.
- Empty Prep (with no input) lasts for around 35 frames, during which prep will: automatically enter Shadow Evade against highs, track step and advance forward.
- Entering prep cannot be hitconfirmed, you must choose to enter when you input the move.
- Entry moves vary in pushback, and frames (you don't say?). The opponent will occasionally treat prep entries as the same even though will vary due to the pushback of the entry move. The sheer amount of ways to enter prep should make it difficult for the opponent to flowchart counters to each option.

- Entry moves by pushback (highest to lowest):
4B, 6AB/~AB, and 44aB​
3B​
6BB/~BB​
44A+BG has no pushback (Needs testing...).​
- Exit move safety:
B: -10​
BB: -14​
BBB: -16​
Bb(BE): - 6. The last hit can be stepped (and it gives ample time for a GI or JG'd).​
A: - 10​
AB: -16. The second hit can be ducked on block.​
K: - 19. The pushback will make bring it down to about -16 on average.​
k(BE): 0. The second hit can be ducked on block.​
A+B: -22.​

Shadow Evade (SE): A stance that can only be entered while in prep by pressing 2, or through the auto evade. The length of the stance can be extended by holding 2 down. SE will reset to neutral if no attacks are input. The transistion from prep takes 20 frames. While reseting to neutral high attacks will be automatically by evaded by a transistion back to SE.

- SE causes Raphael to duck and sway slightly backwards. Since all attacks available from SE tech crouch, and the stance itself is a crouch, and re-enters if attacked after and empty SE, Raph is effectivly immune to highs for the entire duration of the stance.
- Most short ranged moves (notably 2A/2Ks) can be avoided by SE (even on block), as Raph bends down and slightly backwards (this also may make it seems like SE can super TC mids; it cannot). The same effect applies to the range obtained using prep~4. 6BB/Prep~BB transitions are the worst at this due to their relativly small pushback.
- SEB will track anything less than a full QS to either side.

Due to the various methods of entering prep the frame data and spacing due to inheremt pushback, prep follow ups vary based on the initial move (as presented below); even though each move will enter prep, they will all present different situations:

Entry Move frame:
Move = impact using above entry​
On hit
--------------------
66(B) Stun:
A+B = combo​
BB = N/A​
AB = N/A​
K = N/A​
A+B = N/A​
SEA = N/A​
SEB = N/A​
3(B) +15:
BB = combo​
AB = combo (close range)​
K = i6​
A+B = i18​
SEA = i21​
SEB =i25​
4(B) +13:
BB = combo (except for the soon to be patched tip knockback)​
AB = i2​
K = i8​
A+B = i20​
SEA = i23​
SEB = i27​
44aB +11:
BB = i1 (cannot be stepped)​
AB = i4 (cannot be stepped)​
K = i10​
A+B = i22​
SEA = i25​
SEB = i29​
6B(B) and Prep~B(B) +11:
(no prep) B = between i3-i10​
CH (no prep) B = combo​
(no prep) BE = i13​
CH (no prep) BE = combo​
BB = i1 (cannot be stepped)​
AB = i4 (cannot be stepped)​
K = i10​
A+B = i22​
SEA = i25​
SEB = i29​
6A(B) and Prep~A(B) + 10:
BB = i2 (cannot be stepped)​
AB = i5 (cannot be stepped)​
K = i11​
A+B = i23​
SEA = i26​
SEB = i30​

As an opponent having seen these numbers, guarding after being hit by a prep entry move seems like the best option; there is little reason to duck or gamble for a CH, if they don't respect this, CH them until they do. Most of the moves combo or have quick follow ups. Prep~K will stuff almost anything, but is -17 on block (needs more testing) so throw it out if they are being aggressive. BB is the safer option (and more damaging with optional BE) if they are not abusing TC, as it will catch step. AB is also too fast to interupt or step, and deals more damage, but is range dependant and runs the risk of being ducked on block.

On block
--------------------
66(B) +8:
(no prep) +2​
BB = i4 (cannot be stepped)​
AB = i7​
K = i13​
A+B = i25​
SEA = i28​
SEB = i32​
3(B) +1:
(no prep) -14​
BB = i11​
AB = i14​
K = i20​
A+B = i32​
4 = GI i4-i11​
SEA = i35​
SEB = i39​

4(B) -1 and 44aB -1:
(no prep) -14 and -16​
BB = i13​
AB = i16​
K = i22​
A+B = i34​
4 = GI i6-i13​
SEA = i37​
SEB = i41​
Prep~B(B) -2:
(no prep) -14​
(no prep) B = between i5-i10​
(no prep) BE = i13​
BB = i14​
AB = i17​
K = i22​
A+B = i35​
4 = GI i7-i14​
SEA = i38​
SEB = i42​
6A(B) and Prep~A(B) -2 (These do not jail on block, if the opponent is aware, they can duck the B hit):
(no prep) -16​
BB = i14​
AB = i17​
K = i22​
A+B = i35​
4 = GI i7-i14​
SEA = i38​
SEB = i42​
6B(B) -3:
(no prep) -14​
(no prep) B = between i5-i10​
(no prep) BE = i13​
BB = i15​
AB = i18​
K = i23​
A+B = i36​
4 = GI i8-i15​
SEA = i39​
SEB = i43​

On block prep becomes slightly less intimidating (66(B) is the exception, as it gives 8 on block or 2 with no prep, BB will trap everything and K is i13). The oppoenent now has a considerably better position: attempt to stuff prep, sidestep, TC or block. Prep K beats TC and small stepping, but is at best i20, and still -17 on block; unless the opponent is opting for >i20 moves, don't give then 17 frames per bad guess; BBB is better move if you anticipate an attack, although it is limited in terms of entry (6B(B)/Prep~B(B) only). If the opponent chooses to step, they must commit to a full step to avoid Prep~K, however, by delaying an input Prep will realign.

Common anti-prep moves for each character (in progress):
These are assumed to be on block, from any entry save 66(B) and 6BBB/Prep~BBB.
On block prep can be stepped Raph's right, if the opponent is aware to this, prep A and K/k(BE) will not be able to catch step (however delaying prep moves will allow prep to realign). The must be a full step, if they cancel the step with an attack before they will be hit.
---------------------
Algol: 66B - delayed Prep~4.

Astaraoth: 66K - beats all options. Block and 6BB punish.

Cervantes: aB - loses to 3(B)~BB.
iGDR - loses to 3(B)~BB​

Hilde: 2A+B - manual SE.

Natsu: 66K - beats all options. Block and 3B punish.
66B - delayed Prep~4.​

Pyrrha: 236B - Trades with Prep~AB. 6B(B) and 4(B): Prep~4, 3(B): delayed prep~4.
236AA - At tip range 3(B) and 4(B): Prep~4~BB.​
AK- SEA clashes, Loses to midrange 3(B)~BB.​
(If any of my numbers are wrong don't hesitate to correct)

informative list, ill dbl check the numbers for you this weekend if ud like. the only problem i have is the listing of hilde and natsu anti prep tech. natsu loses to prep4 and hidle to manual SE. hilde can immediately step forward and then do 2 A+B to beat it but then opens herself up to prep bb. there were tested using 3b as a prep entery

Natsu requires a delay for 66B like Pyrrha which I haven't pinnned down yet. Thanks for the SE info, I should do a more test due to pushback factors.

thing is if you delay it then you get opened up to prep BB. im not saying your wrong but maybe a disclaimer should be tossed in there cuz with the exception of asta i cant find a move that shuts down prep

it all makes sense....until you pair frames with damage....then you can really find lot of reason to "duck or gamble for a CH."
@youngfox most characters has tools that shuts down most mixups....
Mitsu FC1B at short distance
Asta 66K
raph iFC3B
phyrra 1AA (if i recall correctly...or was it 236A or something other.... i forgot \O_o/)

All of them will beat most mixups with really low risk.

IMPORTANT NOTE: opponent cannot step after a 66(B)...or well he can but BB will hit...8 frames are not enough for the step to succeed. (specifically tested pre patch).
Thus 66B at short range is awesome.

i wouldnt really call those low risk. take for example mitsu FC1b, it does 24 dmg normal and a fat combo on Ch right. it gets beat out by prep 4 and se sometimes steps back enough to make it whiff. let look at the risk reward just concerning that move; technically mitsu shouldnt hit it as a Ch cuz it will hit SE while in transition, it usually whiff punishes bb and if you mistime prep 4 its a NH. alright thats 24 dmg for mitsus, but if raph predicts right and counters it he is landing 78 or 115 dmg.

its a similar situation with asta but its between entering prep or not entering prep and JG 66k. i personally love when people try to use low risks options to beat prep, makes my life easier. also in regards to phyrra, is it 1aa you meant? i diddnt test nething with her cuz you said you wernt sure of the input

mitsu will obviously check range but even if beat by prep 4 yu don t get anything out of it..

Mostly because its more like:
Mitsu FC...waits and in case of whiff he 1B....
that has ever been a huge problem for raph in scV.

Its not like prep can be spaced easily like scIV....

And i know that some people try to abuse the same low risk reaction....that doesn t mean a good player won t use it coupled with other reverse mixups.....

"then you can really find lot of reason to "duck or gamble for a CH."
This refers to reacting to being hit into prep. Consider the frames on hit and block, and the ability for prep mixup. There is little reason to attempt to beat prep after being hit by an entry move: K is at worst i11, AB and BB are to fast to beat.

This refers to reacting to being hit into prep. Consider the frames on hit and block, and the ability for prep mixup. There is little reason to attempt to beat prep after being hit by an entry move: K is at worst i11, AB and BB are to fast to beat.

Except that AB and BB are both high and steppable, so there are still options against it, though, after getting hit into prep you would be foolish to do much except guard or GI, or AGI if you have something that is good against H/M basically, do something defensive, since, well, that's usually what you should do in a game like this after getting hit.

Except that AB and BB are both high and steppable, so there are still options against it...
I don't believe AB and BB can be stepped on hit (< i5), and blocking A lets you duck the B anyway.

darkfender, were your refering to on hit or block, as what you quoted (it all makes sense....until you pair frames with damage....then you can really find lot of reason to "duck or gamble for a CH.") was from the section on block, so I may have misinterpreted your statement. I don't see how one can find a reason to do anthing but defend/GI after being hit.

mitsu will obviously check range but even if beat by prep 4 yu don t get anything out of it..

Mostly because its more like:
Mitsu FC...waits and in case of whiff he 1B....
that has ever been a huge problem for raph in scV.

Its not like prep can be spaced easily like scIV....

And i know that some people try to abuse the same low risk reaction....that doesn t mean a good player won t use it coupled with other reverse mixups.....

if you a player who is trying to wait and see what happens, then it generally give you a free SE entrance. also what do you mean prep 4 dosnt give you nething? its a guaranteed 78 dmg.

neway my whole point with prep is that there is no one way to beat it, u urself just admited it. if a high level player wants to mix up his counters to prep that awesome cuz it gives me opportunities to apply my more dmging prep options. at that point it comes down to reading your opponent

doesn t help having usually 25% of successfull options...
Also prep 4 is not a tool o use on reaction considering window is similar in frames to JG it would mean you can JG everything

Prep4 is used instead to space....to get out of range of punishers (usually to follow with old SEB, SEA as opponent whiffed).

ALSO fc1BB came right from scIV...its proven and tested as tool to get the least damage and inflict a lot.

If you don t range it good SE will fall for it as it did in scIV, and NOW thank to namco SE is no longer a threat so.......

pyrrha's 236AA is way more bothersome than her 236B. You're better off trying to bait the 2 hit by anticipating and getting your 8K ready.

range is a big factor in your list.... and should always come at a priority over any frame data.

-LAU

I'm not sure I follow. Range is important, but in terms of how quickly a move will hit immediatly post entry, Prep~A is really the only follow up that will be impacted severely by range.

Opponents behave differently at different ranges because of their own moves. I don't know if that's what LAU meant.

I don't agree that a data post like this has to take stock of that consideration, but perhaps a reminder to the effect of watching out for more than frames could improve the completeness of the thread.

Opponents behave differently at different ranges because of their own moves. I don't know if that's what LAU meant.

I don't agree that a data post like this has to take stock of that consideration, but perhaps a reminder to the effect of watching out for more than frames could improve the completeness of the thread.

Thats exactly what i meant.....

Few examples.... certain transitions on block you'll get raped with certain moves your opponent does...but if they were blocked far range... those same moves might not have enough range especually if you do prep 4.....
while longer reaching moves might be interupted by other.options.that usually would be too slow at close range....

-LAU

Thanks.
I guess I should discuss the range/pushback for our moves then; from what I have experienced the opponent usually treats most prep entries as the same even though they vary automaticaly due to the entry move, as opposed to adjusting to their range.

Thanks.
I guess I should discuss the range/pushback for our moves then; from what I have experienced the opponent usually treats most prep entries as the same even though they vary automaticaly due to the entry move, as opposed to adjusting to their range.

The trap that most raph including myself do and fail then complain is doing prep transition too much... however sometimes against certain match up perhaps not going to prep most of the time is probably the better option despite losing opportunity with mixup and damage.... i think when more research is donr itll be more clear which matchups are better than others

-LAU

Back