problem with spammers, mashers ...

tresto

[09] Warrior
Hi,

As silly as it seems, I have problems when my opponents just spam moves (= when he doesn't have priority). Like 2A block, 2A CH, whatever. Against high level players who respect priorities and stuff I'm OK. My timing is pretty unpredictable so I can't get impacted.

But vs a spammer I feel like I have to buffer/spam 2A and that kind of stuff myself, and then I get predictable timing (attack back right away) that makes me get GI'd. And as soon as I start pausing slightly my timing I get hit by CH again.

When I say spammer I mean all these intermediate level Mitsurugi players and stuff.

BTW I actually have trouble hitting BB after blocked 2A when my opponent does 2A again.

Where am I f*cking up ? Any advice ? I don't really know how to deal with these kind of players, particularly as an Amy player in can't space much

I have the same problem..
Then I lose to people who send me, "good game, ALMOST had me."
haha.. if they only knew.

I hate Cervantes spammers. -_-

But anyway..
My best advice would be just leave in the first round, (if you don't mind the -200) and just say fuck it.

and if not, learn to throw out parry's all over the place.
There's nothing more satisfying than their spammed moves ending up in a faceplant for them.
Definitely better than a GI.

Haha..
Block then. There's no lag, so the spammer shouldn't be a problem.

And still, parry. I find a parry to be so gratifying.

Hi,

As silly as it seems, I have problems when my opponents just spam moves (= when he doesn't have priority). Like 2A block, 2A CH, whatever. Against high level players who respect priorities and stuff I'm OK. My timing is pretty unpredictable so I can't get impacted.

But vs a spammer I feel like I have to buffer/spam 2A and that kind of stuff myself, and then I get predictable timing (attack back right away) that makes me get GI'd. And as soon as I start pausing slightly my timing I get hit by CH again.

When I say spammer I mean all these intermediate level Mitsurugi players and stuff.

BTW I actually have trouble hitting BB after blocked 2A when my opponent does 2A again.

Where am I f*cking up ? Any advice ? I don't really know how to deal with these kind of players, particularly as an Amy player in can't space much

You have to be aware that just because the player is at disadvantage, doesn't mean he/she won't attack. This holds true even in high level play. This is also what I playfully call "disrespecting my advantage".

If every player were to simply block after knowing they were at disadvantage, watching an SC4 match might as well be as fun as watching a -very- boring tennis game.

The only thing that rings true for a spammer that doesn't ring true for anyone else is that they will spam either a predictable pattern or the same attack over and over again. If that is the case, then simply act accordingly.

If they spam B, simply step. You may get hit by a wandering 2A, but you can do more damage once you successfully step a B.

If they spam 2A, jump out of it. Even Amy can do this... or even heck, A+K over it now that I think about it.

Amy also has her B+K aGI which would pretty much screw any spammer who attacks after he/she gets hit/blocks your attack.

Seriously, the key to winning against spammers is not to, for the lack of a better term, ride a high horse and claim "you don't know the basics of the game!". Rather, simply step back, see the pattern of what he/she is doing (there is one in any spammer, trust me. Even those who seem unpredictable), and act accordingly.

PS. Also note that what you may think they are at a disadvantage, they actually are at an advantage or a psuedo-advantage. Mitsu 6K ~ 3A comes to mind. If you block 6K, attacking afterwards with any average move will result you getting CH-ed by the 3A, simply because 3A is that. damn. fast. XD

I know that problem (I mostly play ranked online). Most of the time when I have trouble beating a spammer that's because I want to play 'normal'. GI'ing maybe useful in many cases (good training too), but I recently tend to spam back. Nothing funnier than beating spammers with better spams. The best thing is: They rarely change their tactics even if they get hit over and over...

You have to be aware that just because the player is at disadvantage, doesn't mean he/she won't attack. This holds true even in high level play. This is also what I playfully call "disrespecting my advantage".

Yeah I agree, sometimes attacking at disadvantage is useful. I've played with about every top level FR player and did pretty well against them, winning some matches and stuff. But when I lost, even to CH, it felt like clever CH, not spammy CH. I don't know how to explain it, but it was more like "oh good move he/she noticed this could be interrupted, I must work on being less predictable". I didn't feel they 'stole' the victory. (since I'm more of an intermediate player right now, in the end they did win more matches).

Seriously, the key to winning against spammers is not to, for the lack of a better term, ride a high horse and claim "you don't know the basics of the game!". Rather, simply step back, see the pattern of what he/she is doing (there is one in any spammer, trust me. Even those who seem unpredictable), and act accordingly.

Yeah probably the best advice ever. Even if I don't always say anything, I tend to get annoyed inside and it lowers my defense quality. I suppose it will get better as I get more experience ... I think I also have trouble admitting that my opponent could really be stupid enough to always do the same thing. It's like "oh no damn how can he do that again". And I get hit by CH ...

Actually I also used to have trouble in tennis versus opponents doing "floating" shots... Kind of broke my rythm ... I managed to get over that with patience : hit back with a lot of spin, wait for him to hit the ball too short... And hit a winner/go to the net/whatever.

Adapting to "bad" opponents has always been hard for me. Like in this case even if I knew my opponent couldn't hit a proper passing shot, I wouldn't abuse volley game because ... I don't know why actually.

Anyway thanks for your advice. I should just adapt more.

Also, if it's offline, you can always have a chat with the person who is near you; unless you're at some sort of LAN center or whatnot. As Sora said, you should GI, sidestep, whatever to counter their spamming. Usually, if you beat them enough with some sort of strategy, they will either try to find a new strategy of spamming which you can probably adapt to or they'll stop spamming once and for all, either leaving the game for good or realizing they have a flaw in their strategy. However, just telling these players they have something "wrong" with their strategy will not solve much. Sirlin once said something to the effect of: "If I'm beating you with the same tactic again and again, that doesn't mean I'm cheap. It just says something about your ability to adapt." This was in his "Playing to Win" book in the section that made reference to people thinking grabs were a cheap strategy in Street Fighter, I believe. Anyways, it applies here to an extent. Just find a way to adapt and you'll do fine. :)

Against spammers I just annoy them with auto-GI, pokes (Raph's 6B), stepping, and guarding.

I can't really string combos too well but spammers always want the match to be over quickly so if you drag it out they get frustrated.

This sort of applies to your situation:

Playing against my friend's Amy, I was annoying him by using 2A after he hit me with 1A (slightly negative). So I told him that his 6BB after 1A would beat out anything else I did except my quickest moves like 2A or 2K. So he starts using 1A -> 8A+B. Bastard... Now I really have to guess if he's going to mash out 6BB or a jumping move after 1A on hit. High-level mashing = mindgames. As said, you just have to adjust.

P.S. Offline 2A (blocked) -> 2A is pretty slow, isn't it? Sorry if you're having trouble BB'ing that. lol :P

oh hes yun?

that makes things more difficult

still

just frame trap him over and over

AA>BB>AA>AA>BB>BB

just gotta do stuff like that until he learns to block

takes a spammer to beat a spammer. member that
what he said.
how to beat spam: better spam! its horrible to put in all that practice and then have to rely on basic cheap play to win, but sometimes it has to be done.

what he said.
how to beat spam: better spam! its horrible to put in all that practice and then have to rely on basic cheap play to win, but sometimes it has to be done.

Yeah, but it's so satisfying when you beat them at their own game.
I know this is offline topic, but especially online when they quit ranked.
XD

Mhhh no it is not satisfying at all for me :(
I hate to play crappy, and all I remember after that is damn this was the most boring match ever...

Back