PS4 and the future of the Soul Calibur Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well sure, but there's no reason why they couldn't have both the characters AND the core gameplay. Other games are adding to rosters, while SCV completely cut the fighting style of 5(?) characters. Hell, even if they didn't do it on release they could have added the characters via DLC.

Don't get me wrong, the basic gameplay comes above all else. But I really can't see how much longer it would have taken to include the other styles as a percentage of development time.

That's what I'm saying though - Of course we can have both. But to bitch about the entire game purely because X character isn't in it, is simply entitled bullshit.
Ok, Amy didn't make it, but the game is still good without her. It's not like anyone plays SC JUST for X/Y/Z character, and if they do, then they'll have to accept their the minority and P.S won't be pandering to them specifically any time soon.

As for including other styles, it actually takes a long time, and bear in mind this is (at most) an educated guess, but on top of all the hitbox/collision issues, you've also got the motion capture too. And then, assuming it isn't simply a SC3 style stand-alone fighting style, you've got to make that actual characters, draft them, design them, build and voice them etc, give them a stage, a theme and all that.

And even if it were merely a stand-alone fighting style (and seriously, I'm hoping so hard for those in the next installmant), that's a LOT of work.

As for DLC, that also is a lot of work, and if initial sales were as bad as reported, they're less likely to make anything new that requires so much attention.

I would LOVE Mi-Na and Amy back, but I'm happy with the game even without them.

Nice points Cynical and Bello- but this thread isn't about Soul Calibur V.

However.

I am aware that I put forward my own personal view points in my opening Address. But really.... discussing my brief personal opinions which were fearscapes that I had made about Soul calibur V was in conjunction with my worry that the same thing would happen to Soul Calibur 6. Which I might add....SC6 has yet to transpire.

My questions to both of you - if you're interested is:

1 Would you prefer a game that is supposedly incomplete over one that IS complete - with the odd patch thrown in?

2 Irrespective of TIME to make a game and distribute it?

3 Or indeed having reminders of titles that say "didn't make the final cut'...

4 Do we as fans want that for Soul Calibur 6 or even future Soul Calibur Games?

5 In the light of streaming games and the pitfalls of that- would it be worth NAMCO's while to make previous SC games playable on cd for the PS4?

Nice points Cynical and Bello- but this thread isn't about Soul Calibur V.

However.

I am aware that I put forward my own personal view points in my opening Address. But really.... discussing my brief personal opinions which were fearscapes that I had made about Soul calibur V was in conjunction with my worry that the same thing would happen to Soul Calibur 6. Which I might add....SC6 has yet to transpire.

My questions to both of you - if you're interested is:

1 Would you prefer a game that is supposedly incomplete over one that IS complete - with the odd patch thrown in?

2 Irrespective of TIME to make a game and distribute it?

3 Or indeed having reminders of titles that say "didn't make the final cut'...

4 Do we as fans want that for Soul Calibur 6 or even future Soul Calibur Games?

5 In the light of streaming games and the pitfalls of that- would it be worth NAMCO's while to make previous SC games playable on cd for the PS4?

I believe our points, much akin to your own, were still about the future of the series, but using V as an example of series progression, therefore keeping them on topic.

1 - This depends on what you'd define as "complete". Mostly, I want a game that's balanced and engaging, without being overly complex nor overly simplistic. I would love to have stacks and stacks of single player content to compliment the well-stocked multi-player aspects, however I also understand that those things are bells and whistles in a competitive fighting game, and believe it doesn't NEED tonnes of in-depth story modes and side-games in order to work.

So yes, I'd prefer the extra additions, but no I don't think they're needed for the game to be "complete".

2 - I believe is covered in the above. Obviously if they CAN add more, I think they should, provided it doesn't affect the overall experience.

3 - I don't think anyone wants to be reminded of Legends.

4 - I do. I can't speak for anyone else.

5 - I don't think any developer should make the stream-ability of their game a priority. Especially if it's purely a PS4 thing. Would you waste development time optimising for a feature appearing on one console that (at a guess) 80% of players won't even utilise?

Live-streaming is nothing new. And whilst it might become more accessible to future PS4 players, I don't think it, in and of itself, is going to revolutionise anything. I admit I'm not fully up to scratch on it's streaming features - Does it work in tandem with Twitch (or wherever) or do the viewers have to look through their own PS4's? If it's the latter then it's a laughable feature, if the former then we might get a couple of new decent LSer, but it won't change the game at all.

Live-streaming is nothing new. And whilst it might become more accessible to future PS4 players, I don't think it, in and of itself, is going to revolutionise anything. I admit I'm not fully up to scratch on it's streaming features - Does it work in tandem with Twitch (or wherever) or do the viewers have to look through their own PS4's? If it's the latter then it's a laughable feature, if the former then we might get a couple of new decent LSer, but it won't change the game at all.
Its both actually. Although the only provider known so far is UStream. I really hope they add twitch to that list, that would be awesome.

Its both actually. Although the only provider known so far is UStream. I really hope they add twitch to that list, that would be awesome.

Well that's a bit better, and maybe the increase in livestreams will have a positive impact on the somewhat stagnant community. I can't really predict so far as that though - They'd need to be quality livestreams, and if more people CAN do it, it doesn't inherently mean there'll be a quality boost.

Thanks though, I wasn't aware of that.

I pretty much agree with most of what Bello said. The one thing I will disagree on is the streaming thing. Coming from League of Legends, I've seen how much impact having good quality streams for people to watch has allowed the game to grow as a spectator esport.

Although I'm relatively new to the competitive fighting game scene, what I've seen is a distinct lack of quality streams. Hell, even the tournaments are done with no professionalism whatsoever. Changing this aspect could give the next SC game a much longer competitive life, something which I think is vital.

Although having more people able to stream won't solve the problem by itself, it'd help enable said changes. But maybe it's impossible and SC will just never have a demand for people to watch it.

And saying all this, I don't think it'd be worth them releasing previous games on PS4, as by the time the PS4 is out it should be about time for the next SC game anyway and SCV will be beyond it's competitive lifetime.

Edit: Actually, I disagree about single player content being completely optional. While the people in the competitive gaming community will not care about it too much for the most part, a large part of the sales are from casual gamers that just want a good single player experience backed up with a good game to bring out with a friend over. I mean, just read the top comments on this article

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-06-soulcalibur-5-sales-arent-as-strong-as-soulcalibur-4s

So to answer the question. I think next instalment it is vital that they release a "complete" game with a decent single player offering along with the top notch game mechanics.

Just as a heads up, the FGC in general detests and abhors the types of "professionalism" seen at League of Legends tournaments and events. We come from a separate, rougher edged culture in general. Arcade culture is our parent culture, and mostly a culture that grew out of 1 on 1 confrontation. LoL and DotA are generally seen as kind of soft and nice and ... suburban. The FGC does not enjoy those traits, to it's benefit it some ways and to it's detriment in others.

Stream quality and single player quality needing to be improved as entryways into the scene though, I agree 100%.

Just as a heads up, the FGC in general detests and abhors the types of "professionalism" seen at League of Legends tournaments and events. We come from a separate, rougher edged culture in general. Arcade culture is our parent culture, and mostly a culture that grew out of 1 on 1 confrontation. LoL and DotA are generally seen as kind of soft and nice and ... suburban. The FGC does not enjoy those traits, to it's benefit it some ways and to it's detriment in others.

Stream quality and single player quality needing to be improved as entryways into the scene though, I agree 100%.

I'm not saying tournaments have to be completely professionally done.

But when in half the tournaments I've seen have had people commentating that don't even know who's playing or what round it is, I think that's a bit of an issue. *Shrugs*

I think there will be a SC6 because...well, long running series aren't usually forgotten suddenly. It can take longer or shorter but there will be a SC6 for sure. I wouldn't asume it is going to be for Ps4 for sure. May be we'll even see the next SC settlement for Ps3.

Anyway, if hipothetically comes for Ps4, it's obvious which path is going to take the game, even more considering the social focus of the new console. Onlie mode will become the main mode and will be improved even further, with more online modes and options (and lets hope a better netcode), stream combats and things like that.

SC team will put all their efforts into making an "online fighting game" and probably 1pj options will be reduced to the most basic and simple. Thinking other way would be too naive.

PD; My feel with SCV was that Project Soul wanted to make a step foward, to change the things and renew the series, but some Namco mastermind appeared one day on the office and said "We can't do this, forget silly ideas and make a SC4.5. And BTW you have to finish this game in 6 months".

We need another SCV with a better story mode and an Arcade ending for each character. I was very happy with all other elements of the game.

To be fair, if I put hundreds of hours into mastering Talim, Yun-seong, rock or seong-mina I'd be pretty pissed to. They were removed for "story reasons", nothing to do with gameplay. Which is made even more laughable considering SCV has the least depth in terms of story content as well.
Even worse so all those characters were fairly young so the 17 year excuse made no logical sense but just played the scapegoat for a quick lie. They probably just didnt have time to add them in reality, but didnt want to blame Namco publically. I've heard that Yun-Seung, Talim and Amy had encoded content on the disc of SCV but were never used. In the japanese version Amy's clothing is even there. Maxi and Mitsurugi were probably just completed early when they started.

Even worse so all those characters were fairly young so the 17 year excuse made no logical sense but just played the scapegoat for a quick lie. They probably just didnt have time to add them in reality, but didnt want to blame Namco publically. I've heard that Yun-Seung, Talim and Amy had encoded content on the disc of SCV but were never used. In the japanese version Amy's clothing is even there. Maxi and Mitsurugi were probably just completed early when they started.

You just don't know when to quit, do you?

Arcade culture is our parent culture, and mostly a culture that grew out of 1 on 1 confrontation. LoL and DotA are generally seen as kind of soft and nice and ... suburban.

While I haven't experienced such a difference in cultural identity, I'd have to say I've met a lot more asshats (teammates really) in dota relative to the number of "undesirable people" in online soul calibur.

I would say the niceness you perceive has a foundation in the fact that those are meant to be team games with 4 other teammates that you'd better get along if you hope to win.

I've heard that Yun-Seung, Talim and Amy had encoded content on the disc of SCV but were never used. In the japanese version Amy's clothing is even there. Maxi and Mitsurugi were probably just completed early when they started.

"You've heard" doesn't count as proof. We know for a fact there was some Zasalamel data, but that's because they copied over a lot of stuff. It means nothing.

So you say what I pointed out is untrue? That IS what they did regardless of how else you want to rationalize it.

I'm saying you are 100% wrong and you are drawing alarmist and biased conclusions based on your misunderstanding. I think I'd know better than you, especially in this given area.

I'm saying you are 100% wrong and you are drawing alarmist and biased conclusions based on your misunderstanding. I think I'd know better than you, especially in this given area.

alarmist |əˈlärmist|nounsomeone who is considered to be exaggerating a danger and so causing needless worry or panic.

Can you both please stop bickering? If you need to argue over something as opposed to discussing a topic then do so in your own PM. And also look up words. Disguise isn't being alarmist in any shape or form and for that matter neither was my opening Address..

However.

I do expect sources to be available so as The Reader can draw her or his own conclusion(s). So if either you, Disguise or anyone else has any sources that you can share with everyone else regarding the nonesense you're talking about then kindly so do.

Keep on topic Ladies. Unless of course either of you are linking your thoughtscapes to what might happen in a sc6 installment???......

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back