Pyrrah seems to be a bit on the broken side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUPER-8

[08] Mercenary
I don't like to call things "broken" (in fact the only other time Ive called something broken was vanilla Wolverine in Marvel vs. Capcom 3) but it seems like Pyrrah is a bit too good per-say. I'm not talking SCIV Hilde levels. But she'll probably end up as the best accessible character in the game once people figure out how unsafe Natsu is (A.Pat is shit broken but alot of people don't have the execution to use him).

Also there has to be a reason why I faced 7 pyrrahs in a row, each having a win ratio of like 75%. XD

while I think pyrrha is good, I think she is far from broken. what makes her broken?

while not as safe, sc4 sophi had really good tools, but wasn't among the top tiers [or was she? lol]. tas aa would be great in this game I think. if pyrrha had tas aa, tas k and tas b [the sc4 version] ... then I think she would be really really really good haha.

she can barely even get 50% as a max dmg combo ... others like natsu can get 50% no meter, a patro is also very high dmg ... and others can link their ce into another ce ....

haha she's good, but I don't think "broken" ... imo.

Also there has to be a reason why I faced 7 pyrrahs in a row, each having a win ratio of like 75%. XD

Did that include myself?

Anyway, there is no doubt that Pyrrha is far from broken - she just happens to currently have a combination of the "Ease of use" rating and several but not many players opting to play her, resulting in opponents not knowing how to counter her moves. I think over time the win ratios will start to go down.

Like minhtam said, it has to do with the learning curve of the specific characters. Pyrrha is much easier to use than most other characters, and since this game is still relatively new, Pyrrha and all the other characters with steep learning curves or characters with not a lot of changes from previous games will appear stronger.

Also, spelling 'Pyrrah' incorrectly like that sort of makes you seem a bit butthurt after losing to Pyrrhas online.

She's balanced by her lack of power. A good Pyrrha power has to consistently be ahead of the opponent and abuse mixups and mind games to come out on top. She can poke well in close-mid range, but you'll never win from just poking. Going up against Mitsu or Siegfried if you're not careful and you mess up BAM! more than 1/3 of your health gone. Pyrrha's best combos, which require meter, don't even do as much damage as a Siegfried's AAB combo I'd wager.

Fact is if you're unfamiliar with her, you're going to succumb to her mixups, plain as day. However the opponents that know when to block high and low can punish me easily, and usually far worse than I can.

I would say probably top but not broken. She's really good, only thing missing is a safe, fast damaging mid (not counting 66B which is 23f), like Pats 1B or similar. Otherwise, great pokes, step, punishment (both wiff, step and against unsafe), lows, stepkillers, ok throws (excellent sidethrow)... yeah she really doesn't lack in anything.

Pyrrha has her weaknesses. She does only seem good as she does play similarly to the sisters in the previous games, has the easiest punisher to use (and most people online keep on repeating unsafe stuff anyways, leading to easy wins), and she's a fairly straight forward character to use.

However, her weaknesses are in my opinion:
-Lack of any low to really fear. 1K is good, but, its still disadvantage on hit and still just a poke. So there's little reason to randomly duck against her.
-Her mixup game is effectively mid, throw or low poke. Nothing really to write home about.
-Linearity to a degree, though she can deal with step.
-Lack of range. Against the long range characters this becomes an issue as they can play an effective keep-away game.

She really lacking in damage, Soph hits like a truck in 3&4, she doesn't, while everyone else seems to be doing more.

I would say it's easier to be right wit her, but the rewards tend to be small.

Pyrrha is powerful.

lol! not really... in terms of variety and mix-ups... maybe...

...but raw power... definitely no

She feels a lot like SC4 taki in regards to the pitiful damage she deals, unless you're consistent with them JFs, and keep pulling and connecting them left-side throws all the time... >_<

You really have to make sure you're ahead from the start of the round damage-wise... and keep it that way.

Comeback queen, she is definitely not... unless you manage to lame and connect a 33B against your opponent with your butt near the ring edge... >_< haha!

She's balanced by her lack of power. A good Pyrrha power has to consistently be ahead of the opponent and abuse mixups and mind games to come out on top. She can poke well in close-mid range, but you'll never win from just poking. Going up against Mitsu or Siegfried if you're not careful and you mess up BAM! more than 1/3 of your health gone. Pyrrha's best combos, which require meter, don't even do as much damage as a Siegfried's AAB combo I'd wager.

Fact is if you're unfamiliar with her, you're going to succumb to her mixups, plain as day. However the opponents that know when to block high and low can punish me easily, and usually far worse than I can.

A few things. First, Siegfried AAB isn't a combo, and that string almost never sees any use outside of casual play or mashing. The not-a-combo does 64 damage on hit, though, which I know is more or less matched by a few of her BnBs. She gets 52 damage off of a NH i15 whiff punisher, which is definitely something to write home about. Secondly, Siegfried needs his meter to do damage just as much as Pyrrha does, and his scale rather quickly and require walls to really mess you up. Whiff punishing isn't his forte, either, and if he's consistently punishing your whiffs with his high damage, slower moves, you should probably rethink your gameplan.

I do agree that character ignorance plays a major part in how much you can get away with. And I do agree that character knowledge can make a match-up significantly harder - I'm a Siegfried player, after all, I know what character knowledge can do to you - I don't think it makes her completely ineffective. She has solid basics, and is not easy to keep off of you once she gets in. Play to your strengths, and don't sell her short.

Now, what are those solid basics? I don't know what they are. Ask Partisan - he knows the notation, and he hits me with them all the time. =(

I don't understand how anyone can see the awesomeness of her B throw and 66B and not think "Definitely a powerful character."

Difference between "good" and "powerful". She's certain;y a great character, but the lacking in power part refers to her raw damage. On average, her moves do less damage than most other characters. If she did as much damage as her Omega counterpart, I guarantee you my win rate would be a bit higher.

Difference between "good" and "powerful". She's certain;y a great character, but the lacking in power part refers to her raw damage. On average, her moves do less damage than most other characters. If she did as much damage as her Omega counterpart, I guarantee you my win rate would be a bit higher.

Indeed, had she been packing more punch... I would stick her as my primary... but alas.

My playstyle against humans has always been 'passive'...

...passive, in that I try to dictate the game to at least boil down to the last round... or make it so I have to play a great comeback game... mainly to get as much milage in regards to game-time... as well as provide challenge to myself, more time to observer the opponent & at the same time, give the opponent the same 'comeback' opportunity should he/she need it (i'm too nice, its a failing i know... =_=)

When I initially tried to apply that playstyle to n.Pyrrha... I almost always end up losing every single game I played; pretty hard to pull a legendary comeback with a losing n.Pyrrha from being two rounds down against a heavy hitting nightmare with full gauge... =_=

I end up finding that in order for n.Pyrrha to actually win, she needs to be ahead AND STAY AHEAD in regards to damage & rounds won, ergo it veers more to an 'aggressive' playstance.. which is never really my style... =/

Now, I've heard how her brother probably hits harder... but I'm just pants with him at the moment... which kinda just leaves Pyrrha.O.

With P.O, I maintain my 'passive' playstyle better... and I get to keep some of my old 'sophie' tricks due to her 'key' moves being present. ^_^

Playing around using Pyrrha for a few days now, it seems the only thing going for her (as of now) is her use of mix-ups. since most players online tend to mash.

Playing around using Pyrrha for a few days now, it seems the only thing going for her (as of now) is her use of mix-ups. since most players online tend to mash.

Her mix-ups are kind of lacking. There's 1K, but it's just chip damage (luckily only -1 on hit and not that unsafe on block, though) so there's little reason to ever duck against Pyrrha. Her real strength comes from her ability to punish whiffs and a lot of blocked moves extremely well with 236B:4 while having solid basics in general.

I second your post sir. Pyrrha is very dangerous as long as she has some meter. However, most opponents I've played who have experience with this game are baiting out her 66BBE. As long as they don't try to tech roll out of it, they just need to block the first hit and the second hit can either be GI'd or just guarded. You can play a poking game with her, but that can only get you so far. Most of the time I find myself relying on 1K for a quick low to start a mix-up. She's a solid character and is my main for this SC, but I am finding her to be very predictable and I've already developed some habits with her that are pretty easy to read.

I'm discovering more uses for her meter outside of 66B BE, which is probably her best offensive option.

First off, I've kind of resolved to never using her CE. The damage just isn't that great even in combos, especially compared 66B BE, 88BAK which does almost as much damage for half the cost. Not to mention if you're near walls, you can occasionally miss some of the later hits.

The other is for defensive purposes. In either 236AA BE or 4AAA BE the last hit can be used to knock your opponent away if they're guarding. So if they block the first hit, if you train yourself to do it, add the BE and you'll either hit them from surprise for weak damage, or knock them away out of punishment reach. Always useful against those that think you wont use those moves if they know how to block it. This helps keep your options open for better mind games.

I'm discovering more uses for her meter outside of 66B BE, which is probably her best offensive option.

First off, I've kind of resolved to never using her CE. The damage just isn't that great even in combos, especially compared 66B BE, 88BAK which does almost as much damage for half the cost. Not to mention if you're near walls, you can occasionally miss some of the later hits.

The other is for defensive purposes. In either 236AA BE or 4AAA BE the last hit can be used to knock your opponent away if they're guarding. So if they block the first hit, if you train yourself to do it, add the BE and you'll either hit them from surprise for weak damage, or knock them away out of punishment reach. Always useful against those that think you wont use those moves if they know how to block it. This helps keep your options open for better mind games.

Never thought of 236AA BE or 4AAA BE as a defensive option. Gonna test this out myself and see how it works for me. :-)

Carefull with 236AA BE and 4AAA BE, you can do a jump attack after blocking the first hit in 236A and beat both the regular and BE version of it, and the 4AAA BE is unsafe on block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back