Random Post Thread

I use Lightwave.

And I'm trying to make a 3D environment to hand in by Tuesday.

It' quite a bitch , and i need some help as to what environment to make, and how to make it.

krit and bd:

how are you handling the modeling?

it shouldn't be too hard to push out a base mesh. though i don't really model with Max, i figured it would be a similar process to modelling with maya.

in a nutshell:

block out the main character and just Loop/split edge tool it to grab the details. and just play with vertices and then even the vertices out. and then pop that bitch into zbrush and render in final details. throw that bastard back out and displace it out as a bump/normal map. texture shade. light. finish. you can do this in 2 days. a week at the most. and two weeks if you want to get detailed. it's super easy. and i'm mad that i used to have trouble with this. i just love taking my time though. it's fun.

make sure you know how many polys you want. if there's too many polys, animating it will be a bitch and it'll bring your computer onto its knees and have it beg you to stop. either that, or it'll completely rebel and give you the blue screen of death. the same goes with shaders and textures. too many will drive your computer insane.

but then again.. the results are astounding.

gollum from lord of the rings = 40 gigs worth of textures/shaders.

BD: how we handle bgs and layouts in our studio is like this:

we start off using a plane for the fore ground. we then make a separate plane for the background. we create simple shapes and forms for the background hills/mountains and foreground trees. bg trees and the like are handled with simple curved planes with alpha texture maps placed on them. we set up another plane (open ended cylinder) to create the sky. and then light the scene as necessary. also, they're not small models. they're freaking huge.

for references, it depends entirely on what type of setting you're going for. for natural scenes the grand canyon, loch ness lake, and Yosemite National park are several of my favorite locations. looking at the amazon, as well as certain scenery shots for New Zealand are also beautiful. for city-scapes don't focus on all four walls of the building... just focus on the sides that will be shown on camera. no need to waste polygons and processing power on all sides of the building if the camera is never going to see it. hope that helps.

cheers.

Well Madnis, I definitely need more practice in modeling.
It's really tedious work and I'm getting discouraged seeing as most of the people in my Tuesday class seem to be handling it rather well. I feel like I'm the only one having issues and it's a bit stressful, but I'm not giving up. *shakes fist* I am currently downloading 3ds max, maya and illustrator, to get a head start on all my other classes I'll be taking within the next coupla quarters.

Introducing.....Worker-Bakery.
The youngest forum member to date and...............
(Pssssst! Someone finish his introduction)

In class today we were having a discussion if pokemon were real...

we came up with ideas like..

> would there be a PETA for pokemon?
> what would the price of potions and pokeballs be?
> would you have the pokemon that you've had in the games you played?
> would you have to get a license to fly/surf
> how would we protect legendaries?
> how would iraq use pokemon?

Aaaand...

Would we all die?

The worst part is.. i have to write an essay on this.

940047_20080711_screen001.jpg

Algol: Hurry up and get to the final stage you cur!

940047_20070718_screen002.jpg

Siegfried: What a nice sunset....
Dodo bird: Gay......

soul_calibur_iv.jpg

Sophitia: Gods. Please forgi-*farts*

soulcalibur-legends-20070919074735602.jpg

Siegfried: Oh....

Back