Raphael Top Ten Moves

i have no problems against amy shes easy IMO,
as for prep A+B i like it because it fits into my game of keeping the pressure on and limiting blocking options

edit:6k is god

Why is 22AA on the list? This is the ONLY move I don't understand being here. High...slow...it CAN be mixed with the B follow up for a good low....but I just feel Raph has better..."top 10" options.

Ruiner

Ruiner - It's a NC horizontal at mid to long range without overextending himself i.e. 66A. It has it's uses in the way I play.

Finally people are using 6K (I hope)! I never posted a top 10, but now that I've been tournament hopping, here goes...

44A
sea
WS B
11B
22B:B
1A
66 A+B
33KB
A+B A (Situationally, for NCC or Soul Crush)

These are pretty much the only 11 moves I use, actually (with the occasional BB, AB, or SEB B) (Also, the As out of SEA and SEB need to be used, but they are only there to keep the other player honest, not because I like them). As I mentioned before, I do NOT use Prep BBB:B unless it will do enough damage to win (but I use a LOT of prep...which, as usual, makes me sort of the odd man out).

I see...

Hudathan....I recently watched your video's....I'm no ass kisser, but to be frank, you're the Best Raphael I've ever seen. So monkey see monkey do, I'll start experimenting with 22AA myself...

Ruiner

22AA is really good at keeping space as well although i dont know how safe it is

GG beloved i was winning till you threw the crap out of me damn im throw bait

Ruiner, the way I play raph keeps on changing depending on my competition and my way of looking at the game. My current style is more poking and less prep, even though when I get a chance to use prep I make a full effort of it. My videos are mostly against opponents who don't know how to fight against prep, which forced me to use a lot of prep which can bring out the bad habits in me unfortunately.

22AA is completely safe on block, and slight advantage on hit, other than being high I have no problem with it and plan to use it more. It's certainly better than his AA and he's not meant to be a fast AA character anyway. He's already got 2A for close range so I felt it was much more important to find a tracking long range move to help out his spacing since that's where he does most of his business.

If throws stopped working I would have still had you in WR B/FC 3B, and other mixups Angelic, but hey, no excuses, hopefully you'll own me next time. ^_^

Hudathan, I'm seeing the light of 22AA so yeah, good call.

I know you don't play online, but I'd still love to test your Raph out. I generally play a poking game myself, but Prep Shenanigans are just alot of fun to pull off. I've heard of Raphael's that only use prep in combo's, I wonder how these rare Raph players fare.....

btw...does Cervantes give you guys alot of problems? I recently been playing some skilled cervy's and I just can't seem to stop the barrage of fast assaults, even his so called "crap lows" I can't block on reaction.

Prep A shouldn't be shut down by cervy....yet I DON'T KNOW WHAT MOVE THIS GUY DID, but yes, Cervantes has something that hits Prep A.....this is some scary shit....

Ruiner

Prep A shouldn't be shut down by cervy....yet I DON'T KNOW WHAT MOVE THIS GUY DID, but yes, Cervantes has something that hits Prep A.....this is some scary shit....

Cervy's 1B is sort of a coverall against Raph's Prep game. Cervy will step kinda back and sideways and swing his sword sort of over his shoulder. It steps Prep A, is mid so won't get dodged, and will beat anything you do while in prep if you do anything; however, it appears as though if you enter prep against Cervy and wait it out to react to 1B you can VE it on reaction...while you both just stand there waiting for the other to do something.

I'll be testing this a bunch tonight to confirm (yay for the 2 hours / wk I get to play this game!) but am almost sure this is doable on reaction.

Also...does anybody know how long Prep lasts? (Boo to an advancing, un-canceable stance with no throws! Prep would be the shit now if you could SCC out of it methinks!) Does anybody have time to test this out?

i found a stun combo for 80 DMG

4B SEA B prepA(my bad) 3B prep BBB:B

i don't know if you guys have known about this but what evs

Your description of the move fits what this Cervantes player did perfectly. 1B it is. Thanks for this info piggy, I love how we lowmid tier guys stick together. ^_^

Okay, we HAVE TO Experiment VE on Cervy's 1B, if what you say is true, at least we have OPTIONS with prep still.

I know what some of you guys will say, "JUST DON'T USE PREP VS CERVANTES"

...have any of you guys PLAYED a tournament worthy Cervantes? Raphael's basic mechanics cannot compete with this guy. I sidestep constantly to evade and punish vs ALL OPPONENTS, but I can't figure out how to sidestep Cervantes moves at all, all his lows swing 360 and rape step, he's got good horizontals and it's like even his BBB/other verticals somehow ALWAYS HIT ME STEPPING.

Sorry to vent, but I haven't been owned this bad in awhile, and I don't care that Raphael's not a great character, it wasn't a downhill battle, it was a freefall with no parachute. I got raped.

Ruiner

have any of you guys PLAYED a tournament worthy Cervantes?

Yes...sessioned a bit last night and here is what I found.

Prep still works against Cervy, and it is actually kinda useful...
iTP options vs 3 seem to be able to be run away from with BBB:B
If the Cervy against whom you are playing uses 1B when you enter prep, wait for a second, then VE. This seems like a weird strat, but it works pretty well. 1B can be stepped on reaction by VE, and if you throw out VE after a second it seems that 1B will either be stepped or evaded, which still gives you the VE Mixups so you can still maintain pressure; HOWEVER, if you use VE immediately after 3 and they 1B it will hit every time.

Block 3A and don't fall for his stupid crap...it is a winnable matchup.

outside of Cervy-land

i played around with 66A and still don't like it...i22 advancing high just gets TCd for free usually (I'm not willing to risk minimal damage / advantage to eat 236Bs or 33Bs)

22AA seems solid against sidewalk, but not step G. but it does ccatch step well.

Finally...I'm not low-midtier :-p

Thanks for the prep counter to cervy 1B use.....

What's the stupid stuff about Cervy that has auto-shut downs? My defense against this guy is totally lacking. I fall for most of his lows. I fall for his BT B+K all the time, I can't figure out the frame advantage of his teleports. I can't figure out how to sidestep this guy(A HUGE PART OF MY NATURAL GAME) at all......

Ruiner

This may sound like stupid advice, but to get better in the long run, just lose more.

really pay attention though, to what is happening, what is hitting you and why. Are you freezing up? Are you too aggressive? Too passive? Do you focus too much on trying to get one thing to work?

Just play as much as you can, and you will get used to it. Take a look at his frame data, know what is on advantage on hit / block, and what is punishable. Play as Cervy a bit to get used to how his moves look so it'll be easier to react to them.

Back