RCPS3 Emulator - runs SCIV & SCV on PC!

Mantis2K

[10] Knight
This guy has the PS3 version of SCIV running on a fairly low spec PC:
On-board intel graphics do not support Vulkan below 6th gen processors, but this guy only has a 5th gen Haswell processor yet is getting full-speed, so it seems his cheap 2Gb graphics card (GTX 750 Ti) was enough to do the trick! :D

SCV also works but all the characters look white.

This looks amazing. I've wanted a way to play/record Soul Calibur games for the longest time (and SCVI on PS4 will finally allow me to do so) but when I tried emulating the PS2 games, it had horrendous, unplayable lag (and I have a pretty high quality PC). I have no idea how this could work so much better than a Ps2 emulator but I'ma give it a shot :)

EDIT: Yeeeaaah after spending hours downloading/installing etc. it ran at like 3 FPS. Total waste of time. It does work though so if you have a NASA-standard computer then have fun XD

Last edited:
This requires a rather beefy CPU. I'm using a 4790k and I can't run the game full speed (I am close though).

This looks amazing. I've wanted a way to play/record Soul Calibur games for the longest time (and SCVI on PS4 will finally allow me to do so) but when I tried emulating the PS2 games, it had horrendous, unplayable lag (and I have a pretty high quality PC). I have no idea how this could work so much better than a Ps2 emulator but I'ma give it a shot :)

EDIT: Yeeeaaah after spending hours downloading/installing etc. it ran at like 3 FPS. Total waste of time. It does work though so if you have a NASA-standard computer then have fun XD
You just need a semi-decent graphics card that supports Vulkan, and must choose Vulkan in the GPU settings, otherwise, yes, you will get less than 10 FPS.
https://vulkan.gpuinfo.org/

It's the CPU that's most important. In that video that guy's GPU usage doesn't even top 50% ever, and he's using a piece of shit.
I think both are important, but the GPU/Vulcan takes precedence by a long shot when it comes to this particular emulator. For example, there was only a 4 FPS gain using a 3.40 GHz vs. 3.10 GHz base frequency CPU (3 generations apart) with the same graphics card. But a good graphics card is the difference between 5 FPs and, say, 30 FPS. Dropping to OpenGL (no Direct3D option available yet) then even the best CPU/graphics card combination will run slow. Conclusion: diet is better than exercise, but both are needed. Hopefully, in the future they'll improve the emulator speed-wise.

SC4 holds up really well at high resolutions:

https://abload.de/img/rpcs32017-10-1417-30-skus8.jpg
https://abload.de/img/rpcs32017-10-1621-43-kuuuc.jpg

There are some problems with it though. As mentioned, requirements are high if you want to play the game at full speed. There's a gamma problem making everything brighter than it should be (I manually fixed it in the above screenshots), I get random crashes, and when using Vulkan API the game's AA ends up blurring the image quality if you render above 720p.

But this could end up being a really good way to play SC4/5 once the emulator sees more improvements.

Last edited:
No online capabilities yet? Sad.

I wanted this to be the best emulator ever, but now it’s just fake news.

If you ask me about emulators, and trust me I have the best emulators, emulators so filled with winning and greatness that they ask me, “how can one man possess so many great emulators?” but I just have to tell them, I tell them that these emulators are the best, and they have nothing to do with Russia, which, by the way, I have no problem with. I think Putin is a great leader with many fine qualities that great leaders, like myself, possess.

Make Soul Calibur Emulation Great Again.

Your screen shots indicate why SC6 doesn't seem like a big leap in graphics to me. That jump in resolution shows how great SC4/5 could look
SC6 feels like a massive leap to me! The visuals seem way more breathtaking than SC5 IMO. The atmosphere and aura is simply amazing. Can't wait for SC6!

This guy has a 4th gen i7 - only a 3.5 GHz base frequency - but his graphics card is up there with the best (GTX 970) resulting in 60FPS!

This guy has a 4th gen i7 - only a 3.5 GHz base frequency - but his graphics card is up there with the best (GTX 970) resulting in 60FPS!

You've been posting the same concept in the last few posts but I've read that the emulator is CPU bound and that the GPU (as long as it supports Vulkan and opengl 4.3, is largely irrelevant (you could get away with a rx 550/ gtx 1030). Now that is at native resolution, which SC4 is unfortunately not even 1080p.

Please source where you are getting the information that a beefy gpu is more important than the cpu.

You've been posting the same concept in the last few posts but I've read that the emulator is CPU bound and that the GPU (as long as it supports Vulkan and opengl 4.3, is largely irrelevant (you could get away with a rx 550/ gtx 1030). Now that is at native resolution, which SC4 is unfortunately not even 1080p.

Please source where you are getting the information that a beefy gpu is more important than the cpu.
It's not through information - it's through experimentation: testing and comparison with different setups. Evidence leads to the truth - not what you read somewhere - but we can agree to differ. However, I do hope the CPU will play a bigger part in the future, as it's not yet up there with the performance of other emulators.

Your screen shots indicate why SC6 doesn't seem like a big leap in graphics to me. That jump in resolution shows how great SC4/5 could look

It isn't really that big of a leap, to be honest. The quality of the meshes are surprisingly - a lot of detail considering what the hardware is capable of. It's part of the reason why I don't really think it's a huge detail if they re-use some of the meshes. They all hold up quite well. The only thing that can really improve is the detail in the environments as well as the lighting.

Back