Really not impressed with the create a fighter

subsmoke

[10] Knight
Not very impressed with the create a fighter mode

I believe 3 fighting games have attempted a character creation mode and I haven't been impressed with any of them. They are Soul Calibur III and IV, and Mortal Kombat Armageddon.

In Soul Calibur's create a fighter you're very limited in what you can make your fighter look like. You can only give your fighter a human model, so no monstrous type characters or anything non-human. Isn't it called create a fighter so you can make a character look however you want? Let's say you want to put Charade in. You can't do that. Not really a true create a fighter in my book. And it's not just that, it seemed like even with the human options you're fairly limited on what you can do.

Even worse, there are no unique weapons available that only custom fighters can use. So you have to give your fighter a weapon from one of the main characters. So you would have to make a custom fighter with, say, Astaroth's weapon, or Xianghua's weapon. Why make a character with Cassandra's weapon when you can just use her? Soul Calibur III is a little better in that sense because there are unique weapons for custom fighters.

Another big issue I have is that the clothes and armor you pick actually affect your stats and skill points. That might be sorta realistic, but it can also force you to give your character clothing or armor you didn't want them to have, just so you can get the stats you want. I know that doesn't matter in standard battles, only special ones, but I still think they should come up with a different way to do it so that you don't have to make your character look ridiculous for it to have the stats you want ya know?

I was gonna explain the problems I have with MK Armageddon's CAF mode but I don't want to give people a huge read so I'll cut it off there. What do you think though?

You can't do everything but i was able to make some really cool characters and alternative colours for the standard characters. I even reached the limit of 50 you only got to play with the combinations and the colours.
I think the CaS exclusive fighting styles of SC III were pretty crappy anyway and i don't miss them.

About the stats you can ask almost anyone here most think that special is like special olympics for SC. Including me.

I'd like if you could edit your complete own fighting style but that would probably make the most imbalanced SC ever lol.

I definitely would like to see a more fleshed out Create-a-Soul mode.
It seems that SCIII had more (or maybe better?) options than SCIV (clothingwise, at least, IV did have more body and voice options). And even that was limited.
I don't really play wrestling games, but I do enjoy the depth put into alot of the create-a-character modes of these games. Perhaps take note from them? -But put some inhuman options in as well. The corruption of the demon sword in the world made alot of... "creatures". Why not let people fight as one? It would be cool to have the voice option for such creatures as well -even a Voldo or lizard man voice option...

I don't really care for the system used to put stats on items. Some of it doesn't even make sense. Not that it really matters outside of the tower (for me, at least, some like special), but I wonder if it was purposeful that you have to make a character look the most ridiculous to have decent stats. Thank God for color edit. The whole "shatter your clothing, 'till you're fighting in your underwear" isn't so appealing either. It was something new, and I can see what they had in mind, but I wouldn't be sad to see it go.

More weapons are always welcome, I would like to see even a majority of SCIII's "extra" weapons have a little more time put into them and brought back (especially Hwang's and Arthur's).

I'd like if you could edit your complete own fighting style but that would probably make the most imbalanced SC ever lol.
I agree, unless there were an intricate preset point system. Even then, the movelists are far too large for this.
But, I am happy to just use the weapon's provided. Customizing the way said fighters look (shallow as that may be).

I'm also not very impressed with CAS and I think itz a big waste of time to place in Soul Calibur.

What dissappoints me is that their fighting styles are not unique enough. They just copy the movesets from the original cast.

I disagree about changing into different non-human races as it makes things more complicated. I would rather select a different nationality for each character, select costumes and weapons that are based on that nationality and start leveling up with that character. The extra costumes and weapons can be selected once you acquire them through your adventures.

I would also rather have CAS as an expansion pack to SC.

My biggest beef with the CAS characters is that you become half naked when your mid or low armor is broken. That, and their hit-boxes are annoying to deal with when I use Rock.

I'm also kinda saddened that there's no way I can get the LE DLC, but you can technically say that's my fault.

There's many parts of SC4 that NB/Project Soul could have done a better job on including the CAS mode, but I bet that they are saving that for their next game.

I don't make CAS characters because I might as well just use the standard characters in the game. When I first started with SC4, I made some broad with huge breasts and used her for a while until the novelty wore off.

But I am not going to go on some long rant because it is what it is and NB is not going to listen to a damn that that I have to say since I am not Japanese, so you have to do what you can with it. It's better than not having one at all.

CAS is ok... like you said, there aren't that many fighters that do it. So... take it or leave it?

I you are more upset with CAS then with whiffing issues and doom combos, you're better of playing a dress-em-up game.

*Runs off to play a dress-em-up game*

Yeah, I really miss the amount of options we had from SCIII. But hey, it isn't that bad.

I would also rather have CAS as an expansion pack to SC.
That's a pretty good idea. Put more into the actual game, and make a completely seperate, in depth, and bountiful, expansion with enough options and choices to make it well worth the cost, to those of us who are all about this feature.

And, unfortunately, Malice may be right. The chances of... any of this forum site being consulted for ideas doesn't seem too likely. In a way, we're all just killing time, and little else, talking about ideas and suggestions -no matter how good they may be.
Kind of depressing...

You should totally be able to draw your own character and put it into the game with tons of cool weapons and be able to shoot energy blasts. Otherwise it's not create a soul.

Not very impressed with the create a fighter m

I believe 3 fighting games have attempted a character creation mode and I haven't been impressed with any of them. They are Soul Calibur III and IV, and Mortal Kombat Armageddon.

In Soul Calibur's create a fighter you're very limited in what you can make your fighter look like. You can only give your fighter a human model, so no monstrous type characters or anything non-human.
Let's think about the logic of having a character that's different in size to the others..and you'll notice that the throw animations would be messed up.. would be the first thing
Case in point : Yoda
Doing so would take away more from the game than add to it.
Isn't it called create a fighter so you can make a character look however you want?
It's create a FIGHTER, not create a monstrous freak

Let's say you want to put Charade in. You can't do that. Not really a true create a fighter in my book. And it's not just that, it seemed like even with the human options you're fairly limited on what you can do.
It could be better, but as it stands the options aren't that bad.

Even worse, there are no unique weapons available that only custom fighters can use. So you have to give your fighter a weapon from one of the main characters. So you would have to make a custom fighter with, say, Astaroth's weapon, or Xianghua's weapon. Why make a character with Cassandra's weapon when you can just use her? Soul Calibur III is a little better in that sense because there are unique weapons for custom fighters.
The most obvious reply would be the inverse of your complaint. Why would there only be partially developed CAS weapon movesets when you can have a complete Soul calibur character to ground it in ? If i wanted to use the unique moveset..why would i only be stuck with making a CAS with it, instead of being able to use it right off ?
You think about that.
Another big issue I have is that the clothes and armor you pick actually affect your stats and skill points. That might be sorta realistic, but it can also force you to give your character clothing or armor you didn't want them to have, just so you can get the stats you want. I know that doesn't matter in standard battles, only special ones, but I still think they should come up with a different way to do it so that you don't have to make your character look ridiculous for it to have the stats you want ya know?
That's a matter of taste, and they did kinda use gems or special items for the 1p costume edits, which don't affect how you look. On the flipside, there could be someone out there who likes alien heads, knight armor, and beach shorts with samurai shoes...so it's presumptious to say it is "ridiculous" looking.
I was gonna explain the problems I have with MK Armageddon's CAF mode but I don't want to give people a huge read so I'll cut it off there. What do you think though?
Yes stop.

Don't give Namco any ideas... LOL. Soon we'll be paying for Training Mode. LOL. J/K.
I know what you're getting at, but paying for an expansion pack is better than buying costumes.

Besides what's the point of earning more gold if you unlock and bought all the secret items? Why not use the gold as in-game rewards for purchasing stuff that can be downloaded, but I doubt Namco would do such a thing.

The CAS could be better. There are various things you could say about the types or amount of armor/clothing available, of the amount you can layer onto a character, or the voices/faces....it kind of just keeps going. Basically everything on every level could be better. That said, I don't think it's necessarily bad the way it is, I've made various outfits and characters I like enough to use every time I play.

But the one thing I despise about the whole thing: Armor Breaking. You spend a good deal of time putting together a cool outfit or whatever, then have it shattered off your guy and fighting in your undies in the first round. Why the hell they would put a section into the game where you can devise your own outfits only to have them wrecked with minimal effort is beyond me. They could have just as easily made the armor break for these custom outfits work the same as Vader/Yoda/Starkiller.....as in, the effect still occurs, but no armor is broken from the character sprite.

The CAS could be better. There are various things you could say about the types or amount of armor/clothing available, of the amount you can layer onto a character, or the voices/faces....it kind of just keeps going. Basically everything on every level could be better. That said, I don't think it's necessarily bad the way it is, I've made various outfits and characters I like enough to use every time I play.

But the one thing I despise about the whole thing: Armor Breaking. You spend a good deal of time putting together a cool outfit or whatever, then have it shattered off your guy and fighting in your undies in the first round. Why the hell they would put a section into the game where you can devise your own outfits only to have them wrecked with minimal effort is beyond me. They could have just as easily made the armor break for these custom outfits work the same as Vader/Yoda/Starkiller.....as in, the effect still occurs, but no armor is broken from the character sprite.

Well the clothes would only have to be saved as a whole-state and a broken-state, which in this CAS case it really is just one state. Whereas the 1p costumes have to have special -broken animated clothes.. which is extra work

Let's think about the logic of having a character that's different in size to the others..and you'll notice that the throw animations would be messed up.. would be the first thing

Who said anything about size? When I say monstrous I mean not human. I aint talking about making 50 foot tall dragons with ten heads or anything like that. lol

It's create a FIGHTER, not create a monstrous freak

So it has to be a human to be a fighter? I guess we should take out Astaroth and Lizardman then huh?

Why would there only be partially developed CAS weapon movesets when you can have a complete Soul calibur character to ground it in ?

Who said partially developed? I would expect them to be as good as the main cast's weapons.

If i wanted to use the unique moveset..why would i only be stuck with making a CAS with it, instead of being able to use it right off ?

Maybe so they would actually be able to do something different instead of just using Cassandra's weapon or Voldo's weapon? In SCIV there's no real practical reason gameplay-wise to do a custom fighter because they have no moves of their own. The main cast all have their own weapons, fighters you make shouldn't just have to use their weapons.

That's a matter of taste, and they did kinda use gems or special items for the 1p costume edits, which don't affect how you look. On the flipside, there could be someone out there who likes alien heads, knight armor, and beach shorts with samurai shoes...so it's presumptious to say it is "ridiculous" looking.

Did you miss the point man? It's not about whether that looks stupid or not, it's about being forced to do it to have good stats. If I want to put a knight helmet and a hula skirt on my character, that's fine but I don't want to have to do it if I want enough skill points to use Block Damage C or whatever.

Well the clothes would only have to be saved as a whole-state and a broken-state, which in this CAS case it really is just one state. Whereas the 1p costumes have to have special -broken animated clothes.. which is extra work

I'm not asking for the extra work of the semi-broken clothing. When Vader/Yoda/Starkiller get their armor broken, the costume does not change at all (unless it's very small and I've never noticed it), the CAS outfits should just work the same way. When you get your armor broken you should still suffer the same damage increase to that area, but the clothing itself should just stay on. This would be even easier to do than having it shatter off the character.

Back