Return of the Jaxel-Dome! First Blood: Part Deux Results

Frankly, Ramon, even when you do manage to get under my skin I still know your trash talking at least comes from a good place. The thing you have to understand is that just because we still get together every week it does not mean we're constantly practicing. Sure, some people are still playing at least a little calibur every week, and for those people the results are showing it. A lot of us aren't, though. Whether it's new games or, you know, more important things in life, sometimes things come up that are more important than playing Calibur. I still host, because I feel obligated since without my apartment there is no place for philly to regularly gather, but frankly getting better at fighting games is the least of my life priorities right now.

its not that chuck...problem is if im going to stay playing this game...everyone needs to pick up the slack! everyone is quitting because there is no competition! And im about to do the same! after awhile everyone should be in the same boat in terms of player skill! by the time SC5 rolls around the only good players are the ones that quit while everyone else is still stuck in there own "our best player is winning why should we" stupidity! the real reason why we dont have a community is because our mediocre players have no DRIVE to win! i mean shit im in full time MVC3 mode now because at least they have the balls to WANT TO WIN NO MATTER WHAT! that's what separates players like Woahhzz n Me from other EC players is that we want to win more than anyone and learned how to adapt after losing a million times! every win that i get without touching the game for so long makes me like them less as a player...but NOT as a person because the SC community is still a second family.

Also cant someone talk shit without people thinking your an asshole here? jesus...fucking women i swear!

I understand what you are saying, but a lot of this is out of people's control. The number ONE place I'd be, if I could choose, would be practicing with some people and then playing with you guys at Jay's or NEC. It's just not in my control right now at all, and I feel like it may be that way with a lot of people. Shame on whoever quit for no damn reason at all, this is a fun game, fun as all hell, and I hate watching it die. And its like Sporko said, people aren't really practicing like they used to. Philly jumped up in skill in a big way when they were, but since that has slowed down the people who were good still were, and the people that aren't are still struggling.

Also, I didn't mean to make this into a butthurt moment. Normally I think I can tell trash talk and dick moves apart, but I guess I got that wrong here. One other thing I forgot is that about 10 fighting games have come out between SC4 and present day, so everybody is divided up as to where they are looking. Sad to say, really, I think we have a great community that just has a bunch of shit that has gotten in the way.

My advice is just relax, don't take this to literately and have fun. Again this all just friendly rivalry . Don't let the same mistake that happened in the Toronto thread plague here. Shit got to real in the Toronto Thread and now Oof not playing this game.

Its not that you guys took it the wrong way, but me and have Sporko spoke about this last time. Ramon does go a bit hard, its just in a good way tho. Why?
Cause this community looks like Candy Land compared to the SF community. And I'm not even gonna compare it to Marvel. Point is, the few ppl that did make this game and the community fun arent here anymore. And you guys really arent doing anything to help that. Old jokes are played out, theres no drama, theres no anything. Its boring.
Personally I do believe theres a 'cap' on how good a person can be. In anything, and no amount of practice, training and commitment will help that. And I'm fine with that. But theres no reason why something like that should stop you from calling out other players who are around ur skill level and keeping the hype for this game going.
We've created funds for ppl to travel and the way to God Damn France, but that doesnt have to be limited to top players and big events only. Let's help ourselves. Speak up ppl! Fuck... -_-

My advice is just relax, don't take this to literately and have fun. Again this all just friendly rivalry . Don't let the same mistake that happened in the Toronto thread plague here. Shit got to real in the Toronto Thread and now Oof not playing this game.

PM me this drama.

Wow. I didn't think this was gonna blow up like that. I was just goin back and forth with Ramon for the fun of it, personally.

I will say that I agree with some of what Ramon says, in that there were a lot of people who just gave up the drive to win/get better. Some for more important reasons than others... But anyone who actually knows me, also knows that my drive to win in tournaments is what keeps me playing in them. I'd hope that no one else would just quit, but people make their own decisions.

the thing is im a player of competition, its what makes me play! i LOVE LOSING but that doesnt happen much now-a-days... FUCK IT! im offering 20 bucks to anyone that takes me out of tourney on the EC thats not Woahhzz! sounds good?

Also sporko its not about how much you practice its all about what you take from it! i have alot of things also which is why i dont play games much anymore...so i know what you mean but if i practiced maybe 2 times a month i wouldnt lose to anyone right now! the little practice i do get i make it count...SO MAKE IT COUNT!

Don't worry; if things are as people say and a SC5 trailer happens this year, then SC4 will be going out with a bang at Dev and, with Chicago no doubt taking at least 1st and 2nd, an omen of things to come in 5.

Even though Chicago is coming as one, we're going to fill the role of many. I was completely out of practice for FSAK (Played, what? Twice with the guys in Philly before FSAK and maybe a couple of quickies here and there when I came off of Deployment in early January); now I'm getting games in every week or so. But, whatever, this is just a preemptive "I told you so" for Dev.

Also, note I said we're 1st and 2nd at the LEAST; we're coming with 4-5 Soul Calibur players, so you all had better hope Chicago kills itself off early in the brackets.

Ramon - Offer sounds good to me. Also...
sporko its not about how much you practice its all about what you take from it! i have alot of things also which is why i dont play games much anymore...so i know what you mean but if i practiced maybe 2 times a month i wouldnt lose to anyone right now! the little practice i do get i make it count...SO MAKE IT COUNT!

Glad to hear this is your mentality. Now that you've said that though, when you lose, I don't wanna hear anything about how it was "only cause you don't practice anymore".

Personally I do believe theres a 'cap' on how good a person can be. In anything, and no amount of practice, training and commitment will help that.

I personally believe you are correct - as humans we are limited in what we are capable of. However, I'm just NOT convinced that ANY known SC4 player has hit their own personal skill cap. Personally, I thought I hit my own skill cap about a year ago, but I'm still learning new things. I know that doesn't speak for anybody else, but to be honest the community is all but dead and 90% of SC4 players can't even practice as much as they want to (if at all). Also we have A LOT of people who do play all the time but don't really know how to look back at what they did and pinpoint the real problems with their game. It's all like Ramon said - you gotta make your practice count.

I feel sorry for you if you think that you have no chance of getting any better, because you're just holding yourself back.

There comes a point where the only thing left to really focus on as a player is recognizing an opponent's gameplan asap in order to stop it. There are too many factors to determine one good player's skill level vs another's. The easy answer would be "who wins more?"... but that's if you decide to completely exclude important things like character matchups and clashing of player styles. Of course, it's not an excuse for losing, but to ignore these factors would be stupid.

I do agree with noface, in the sense that thinking you can only get so good before you cap out only holds you back. Even if it was true, you'd only be setting that barrier even lower with that mentality.

Remember, this game is unlike most fighters because it's more of a thinking person's fighting game, rather than one based largely around execution. So honestly, it's not a huge surprise that a lot of people have trouble sticking through for an extended time. As much as I would love to be proven wrong, I expect the same thing to happen with SC5. Lots of hype in the beginning, then lots of people dropping off once they again realize how hard it is to make it to the top in tourney level play.

Skill cap? maybe there is one, but i really dont think anyone have ever reach that "cap" yet. some people learn the game faster than others. as for the people who stay on the same level, they just reach that part in their game where they need something to get better. It takes time to get better, for some, it may take longer than others. and as you move higher up in level, it takes more time to get better.

Back