SC revival team

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather they focus on SC5 than a port/patch of BD content. I was never really interested in BD, and when I heard about all the silly changes they made, I stopped caring about it. I'm sure other people feel the same way.

See Paragon, but then again. Let's loot at it this way:

What if they continue to patch SC4? And then ask the hardcore players to continue to test, theorize, etc to in hopes either accomplish 1 of 2 things.

Make a more balenced version of the game OR make SC5 better.

I'm pretty sure that they've done that for Tekken 5 and beyond. (since idk what the hell happen to T4) Or what they should do as a balance patch is to do what they did for SF.

Lower the top tier, and raise the bottom tier. Leaving the middle tier alone (of course with their few tweaks) SC4 is an AWESOME game, BD is....well. It seems more balenced, but the damage from it was a bit much. The purge system was unique, but it's pointless if BOTH players start out from full SG meter.

i'm getting off topic here. Yes, i think the thread should be open, however, it's probably best to move this over to the other site as well. Oh and also, if we all took that survey and we were SMART, we would've asked to make sure this game was somewhat balenced, hence the evidence of the patch that game out. So do i think it's evident that the game is being supported? YES. Is it enough? probably not...

I don't know why I keep posting in this thread, but I could either talk Soul Calibur or do IT business stuff. Right now I rather talk Calibur.

Plain and simple, nothing is going to change with the console version of SC4 unless a new game comes out. Regardless of what you do or how much crying you do or how many replies the thread on NB's forum gets, they are not going to spend the time and money at this point to do anything for this game based on the demands of some hardcore players who don't even make up 1% of the total audience that bought the game. So let's put an end to the patch talk.

Broken Destiny is also not a patch. It's an updated version of SC4 that was ported to the PSP. Even if it somehow made its way to the console, it's not going to put an end to the crying and complaining that you guys are so fond of on the internet or help bring people back to the competitive scene and stay because after a while, you guys will just find something you don't like and quit the game for something else. So what guarantee is there that you guys won't do the same if and when something is done to the console version of this game because if you've already quit the game now, you'll do it again. Because in the end, Project Soul is not going to find every little thing in the game and is only going to fix major problems with the game via a patch.

SC4 would have been helped if it was released in the arcades first, like Tekken and Street Fighter. However, the Japanese don't play Soul Calibur like that and the largest market for Soul Cal is in America where there aren't many arcades, so it would be stupid from a business sense to put a game out in the arcade that people aren't going to play since you would have to convince those who run arcades to spend thousands of dollars for it when they're looking for ROI/profit.

The thing about Tekken is that more people play it in general, and more people play it in Japan, so it's going to get more support, which is why it was released and updated in the arcades first before making its way to console.

I bet Project Soul would love nothing more than to do something for this game, but you guys are expecting them to somehow magically pull patches out of their ass without taking into consideration who the hell is going to pay the development costs of said patch and the cost to have the patch certified by Sony and Microsoft before it can be released to console, or take into consideration how ridiculous it is from a business perspective to attempt to patch a game that's over a year old and is probably only played still by 1% of the total SC audience and expect them to do it for free or pull one out of thin air.

I wasn't around for SC3, but on my own, I was playing SC3AE on the PS2. I don't know why you guys weren't, but whatever. But unless you sold AE for $10, the only people that were going to buy it in America are the few who play the game competitively. Casual players don't care about balance tweaks and whatnot which is who mostly buys Soul Calibur.

And even if there was a possibility of doing something to this game, it's not going to happen overnight, so what would we have planned to do in the meantime? Quit SC altogether and kill what's left of the offline SC scene and play Tekken while we wait? Does that make any sense? Plus a patch is not going to fix all the problems that people have with this game. And I wouldn't trust you guys to balance a seesaw or a checkbook let alone a fighting game.

So what are your options? You could quit the game and troll 8WR all day. You could keep playing SC4. You could play BD. You could play Tekken. You could make a quilt. You could cry on NB's forum. No matter what, we'll still be in the same position and the game will still be the same.

You also have another option available: your wallet. So if you hate this game so badly, sell it and quit SC altogether so you don't find yourself in this situation again.

We also have the option of removing Hilde/Algol from the game which should have been done a long time ago, but whatever. If these two are the reason why alot of people don't want to play SC4 or come to a tournament to play SC4, then what sense does it make to keep them in the game competitively?

It's clear to me that their inclusion in competitive play does not make things fun for alot of people. You could argue how broken they are, but they keep people from playing the game, and Americans don't adapt to stuff when quitting is so much easier to do and which is what most have done already. And players aren't going out of their way to try and play Calibur. We have two majors this weekend with barely any hype with games older than our receiving more hype.

But SC4 is not terrible. Overall, the game is pretty balanced. And if you take out Hilde/Algol, it's fun and enjoyable. But regardless of how many posts are done or how many surveys that you take on an old ass survey that NB doesn't even look at so I don't know why people are still trying to take it, nothing is changing no time soon unless you hit Powerball and give the money to Project Soul to do something to this game.

And anything that does happen to this game is not going to happen overnight unless you live in a fantasy world where magical fairies deliver patches with a wave of the wand. So either keep playing or quit and play Tekken. I just wish more people would stick things out instead of just taking the easy route and quit, but I think eventually most of you guys were going to quit the game at some point or another because there are so many other games out there to play and SC4 is not the new kid on the block anymore in the realm of fighting games.

As for me, I'm going to ride out SC4 until the end. Despite all the balance that Tekken has, it's boring to me. BORING! There's nothing in the game I can get excited about. Plus I can't get anyone within a 20 mile radius to even play it, so in the end, all that balance gets me nowhere. I rather have a broke ass game that's fun to play over a balanced game that's boring as hell. Thanks for reading.

I don't know why I keep posting in this thread, but I could either talk Soul Calibur or do IT business stuff. Right now I rather talk Calibur.

Good for you.

Plain and simple, nothing is going to change with the console version of SC4 unless a new game comes out. Regardless of what you do or how much crying you do or how many replies the thread on NB's forum gets, they are not going to spend the time and money at this point to do anything for this game based on the demands of some hardcore players who don't even make up 1% of the total audience that bought the game. So let's put an end to the patch talk.

Assuming? I would like to agree with you but your dear old friend Tekken once again rears its head. How do you explain the patch that came when the internet grapevine and word of mouth killed it's sales. Casual players are mostly already off of Tekken 6 because of the online debacle.

How can you explain the patch then if the damage is done?

Broken Destiny is also not a patch. It's an updated version of SC4 that was ported to the PSP.

Updated version that fixed many problems we were adressing for. Patch, update...words, words.

SC4 would have been helped if it was released in the arcades first, like Tekken and Street Fighter.

Agreed.

However, the Japanese don't play Soul Calibur like that and the largest market for Soul Cal is in America where there aren't many arcades, so it would be stupid from a business sense to put a game out in the arcade that people aren't going to play since you would have to convince those who run arcades to spend thousands of dollars for it when they're looking for ROI/profit.

The thing about Tekken is that more people play it in general, and more people play it in Japan, so it's going to get more support, which is why it was released and updated in the arcades first before making its way to console.

I thought it was Europe and Asia in general. SC1 and SC2 arcade did decently, not sure about how AE did in Japan and Asia, so no comment there.

I bet Project Soul would love nothing more than to do something for this game, but you guys are expecting them to somehow magically pull patches out of their ass without taking into consideration who the hell is going to pay the development costs of said patch and the cost to have the patch certified by Sony and Microsoft before it can be released to console, or take into consideration how ridiculous it is from a business perspective to attempt to patch a game that's over a year old and is probably only played still by 1% of the total SC audience and expect them to do it for free or pull one out of thin air.

Then answer me why they released Broken Destiny on the PSP???

The game would have made more money even from casual players on consoles than on a handheld and they knew there were balance problems with the game as they were informed of it so BD was the result.

Can you explain that move? Really...I'll wait.

I wasn't around for SC3, but on my own, I was playing SC3AE on the PS2.

That's great!!! What version??? Version B? Version C?

And even if there was a possibility of doing something to this game, it's not going to happen overnight, so what would we have planned to do in the meantime? Quit SC altogether and kill what's left of the offline SC scene and play Tekken while we wait? Does that make any sense?

Off course not. I personally retired from it but I would never suggest people to drop SC4. The game is still solid and 1.03 is still viable.

Viable but the fact is IT IS OUTDATED ALREADY.

And obviously it wasn't going to happen overnight. The Tekken 6 hype machine was on the way and SC wasn't gonna get in the way of it. Now that a month and some change has passed since Tekken's release, SC can resurface again. Afterall, BD has been out for 3 months and some change so it doesn't present any major problems for possible PSP sales of it.

So what are your options? You could quit the game and troll 8WR all day. You could keep playing SC4. You could play BD. You could play Tekken. You could make a quilt. You could cry on NB's forum. No matter what, we'll still be in the same position and the game will still be the same.

You also have another option available: your wallet. So if you hate this game so badly, sell it and quit SC altogether so you don't find yourself in this situation again.

Or keep 1.03 as a collector's item.

See, I don't know if you are calling me a troll or not and since the internet doesn't help me to tell, let me tell you something.

I don't like to tot my own horn but I'm OG, my boy. I'm what you call a SC dinosaur. Present since the very very old Soulcalibur 1 domain site. I literally lived at the arcade by the time of SC1. I woke up, eat breakfast and went to the arcade from opening till it closed only leaving to lunch or going to the bathroom. People cursed me and made jokes that I lived there at the arcade and it was true. Didn't care. I lived to see them get pissed off because they couldn't beat me and even threatened to fight a few times. Won the National championship for SC1 here and competed consistently in SC1 DC circles. Won my fair share of SC2 tourneys and helped organize gatherings at my place or communal centers and always available for anything SC related. This has continued on for SC3 and present.

With all this considered, for someone who is practically new in the scene to call me a troll or casual is just too damn funny. So please, if you directed the troll comment towards me, do me a favor and stick it where the sun don't shine. If you didn't, NP, just making sure, you know how it is on the internet.

Just want to make it clear for anyone to understand. As a long time fan, competitor and supporter of this franchise, I just don't like getting shitted on or disrespected by the current development staff. Once is enough!!!

We have two majors this weekend with barely any hype with games older than our receiving more hype.

See the outdated point above. As 1.03 is outdated, it hurts hype, which hurts turnouts, which hurts the pot prizes. Bad chain to have.

And anything that does happen to this game is not going to happen overnight unless you live in a fantasy world where magical fairies deliver patches with a wave of the wand. So either keep playing or quit and play Tekken.

Playing Tekken 6? That's what I'm doing.

And BD as well. The smart thing to do.

I just wish more people would stick things out instead of just taking the easy route and quit, but I think eventually most of you guys were going to quit the game at some point or another because there are so many other games out there to play and SC4 is not the new kid on the block anymore in the realm of fighting games.

See the outdated point above.

And personally, the quitting thing because the game is old doesn't apply to me at all.

As for me, I'm going to ride out SC4 until the end. Despite all the balance that Tekken has, it's boring to me. BORING! There's nothing in the game I can get excited about. Plus I can't get anyone within a 20 mile radius to even play it, so in the end, all that balance gets me nowhere. I rather have a broke ass game that's fun to play over a balanced game that's boring as hell. Thanks for reading.

Good for you!!!

In your situation, if I didn't have the Tekken comp, I would do the same.

Damm thats exactly why namco doesnt listen to us, just take 5 minutes of your time and make a post, thats it, is it so hard?.

...I just went to a few tournaments over the past month where they had both Tekken and Soul Calibur 4 tourneys....I entered both of the tournaments. I'll continue to play both games because I love both of them. I don't get the constant comparison.

But whatever...
-- Master KaijinJin --

i dont think u can really compare tekken with SC they are completely different games....its not like tekken and VF who are both based on hand to hand combat.

There have been many rumors that the Tekken 4 team is the current Project Soul team and it would make sense since they never patched Tekken 4 and let Jin run loose among other problems the game had. And they made all the controversial changes to the franchise starting from SC3.

Sorry to dig up older posts, but I REALLY, REALLY hope that is just a rumor.

Tekken 4 team got fired, I know that. I remember reading off one of the many gaming news sites back then. Although, know this. If that IS even the least bit true. Then it all makes perfect sense.

All someone has to do is look at the credits of the two games to see who worked on what instead of going by rumor. Plus it doesn't matter because putting out an update is not a development decision, but the decision of Namco as to whether they want to fund it.

been forcing myself to play tekken 6, i don't like how some characters have completely safe moves that are spammable and can lead to crazy launches, or some stupid unseeable lows that also lead to long combos. and stepping seems pointless coz 90% of moves tracks.

anyway, hows it going for SC4? any news about the development team?

I like how this is turning into a T6 vs SC discussion. As if someone cannot be capable of liking, enjoying and being good at both? This isn't a one or the other scenario so come off that shit already.

You guys talking about SC revival, I commend you, but in the end you are just talking to yourselves and not much else. No one else bothered to stay around and figure out just HOW we can save the game, and no one new or old cares enough to come back and look.

I'll always host SC events at my tournaments, but all I see coming is diminishing returns.

You wanna place the blame on something, but you can't because it was many things that cause this community to shrink and become less active. Our indecisiveness on banning or unbanning characters, other games coming out with more tourney support and fanfare, terrible online play, ignorant isolationist attitudes towards other games and lack of players willing to travel- all come to mind.

I hope you guys find your miracle, and I am here for whatever happens. But stop being spiteful towards Tekken because you game is dying and your community sucks. It's no fault of Tekken's. Don't let your 'I support SC only' pride make you look like a douchebag who condemns all non-believers, it won't win you any support.

(it's also possible to enjoy MANY fighters at once, try it!)

cha cha

I don't like to tot my own horn but I'm OG, my boy. I'm what you call a SC dinosaur. Present since the very very old Soulcalibur 1 domain site.
I don't remember you unless you went by a different name. If you were there, answer me this, WHO IS BANCES?

I'm doin' good. Playin' online alot. Got alot better with Taki than I ever did before I had so many people to play online with. If you want to beat the crap out of me, I'm on most nights like 5:30 to 6:30 and again 10:00 to 11:00 or so.

Tell me though, YOU were Bances, weren't you?

I was not Bances, do you really want me to spoil who was? lol

I'm rarely online these days, but add me to your friends list, maybe we can play a few.

cha cha

I don't remember you unless you went by a different name. If you were there, answer me this, WHO IS BANCES?

Sorry for not answering you sooner. Was on vacation for December and my sister got ill in January and had to take care of her but to answer.

Who was it? Was it you? :p

And yes, I had another nick, Living Legend and I used it for Guardimpact and the original Soulcalibur board. I remember the old peeps like Too Hectic, WCMaxi, Corinthian, Ai-Uchi, Misato, Fetz, Chacha, Facjoe, Srayer among others.

Changed my nick on the SC2 boards when it hit.

On another topic, so Project Soul definitely didn't give a shit about the console upgrade.

Stupid motherfuckers!!!

Then answer me why they released Broken Destiny on the PSP???

The game would have made more money even from casual players on consoles than on a handheld and they knew there were balance problems with the game as they were informed of it so BD was the result.

Can you explain that move? Really...I'll wait.

It's a smart business move. They make money when people buy a new copy of a game. Patches don't earn monies. Since there is already a Soul Cal 4 game on the consoles, not many people would buy a new copy of BD for $60 when they can have a copy of the same game used, or at 1 year old prices.(not many meaning the general masses, not us hard core Soul Cal/Fighting gamers.) Conversely, releasing a SC4 game on the PSP allowed for much high attach rate, since the aren't competing with themselves.

Chances are the PSP port was planned since the early dev stages of SC4, and I wouldn't be surprised if a team was working on that engine while SC4 (console version) was being developed.

-AeroSigma

PS- "porting" a game (esp. with complex timing like SC) from the Cell BE to a MIPS processor is not a simple re-compile, they most likely had to re-code the engine from scratch and then port over just the art assets (3D models, textures etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back